2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (1 Viewer)

I just heard that Daniel Jeremiah has 27 WRs graded out as 1-3 round prospects. There is so much depth at the position this year. Hopefully we can snag one or two.
I’m starting to think the Saints go defense or OL in the first round and target a WR using their 3rd round pick, possibly trading up to get their guy.

Unless a Henry Ruggs or Justin Jefferson falls into our lap.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Here is my uneducated view of how things shake out. First, Amari Cooper and AJ Green are off the table. The Cowboys and Bengals cannot afford to lose them. Robby Anderson is probably off the table as well since the Jets will want to hold onto their sole offensive weapon in the passing game.

Nelson Agholor, Breshad Perriman are no better than the inconsistent players already on the roster but more expensive than Kirkwood, Quan, etc.

Randall Cobb, Sammy Watkins (if he's cut) and Emmanuel Sanders are all solid possibilities. My feeling is that they will cost more than the Saints will offer, barring significant injuries. I can see both of them sitting at home until close to the start of the season before they pick their teams. Even then, they're not going to carry their weight, IMO. Watkins and Sanders have incentive to remain with their current teams.

After those guys you're left with Demarcus Robinson, Devin Funchess, Cory Coleman, Paul Richardson, Hakeem Grant, Taylor Gabriel, Tavon Austin, Russell Shephard, etc and none of those guys are very appealing as an upgrade.

Chances are very good that the Saints only add a WR from the draft to this team and will depend upon the same cast of characters.
I'd love to bring in Demarcus Robinson. Ascending young talent just hitting his stride and still affordable. Would immediately be our second best WR, though he should really fill the WR3 role. Hoping we can find our WR2 in the draft.

The numbers don’t matter. Reagor doesn’t have Beckham’s fluidity, route running, and hands. Even if somehow he put up similar combine numbers I wouldn’t believe that he’s be the same player. He looks closer to Cobb/Cooks than Beckham.
Agreed. Some guys just move differently than everyone else and OBJ is one of those rare athletes. It's like he's doing ballet and everyone else is playing bumper cars. Numbers aren't everything.

Then you have some guys like Myles Garrett that have some eye-popping numbers and are dominant players, but run the ugliest 40 yard dash you've ever seen.

Agreed. Some guys just move differently than everyone else and OBJ is one of those rare athletes. It's like he's doing ballet and everyone else is playing bumper cars. Numbers aren't everything.

Then you have some guys like Myles Garrett that have some eye-popping numbers and are dominant players, but run the ugliest 40 yard dash you've ever seen.

Agreed. I have been compiling all of the data on the WRs and when a guy jumps out I look at this videos to see if it matches. Some of the guys it matches although they may not have had the most productive college career for one reason or another. Other guys, their non athletic numbers match their game play.

Amari Cooper, if he leaves Dallas isn’t coming here to be a 2nd or 3rd option and I can’t see us paying him the money he’ll want to be a #2 WR.

Sadly this is a bad year for FA WR’s. I would like to see us go after Robby Anderson.
I like Robby Anderson too. He has the speed, but for some reason (not running good routes, or not getting good QB play) he has been a bit of a disappointment with the Jets the past couple of seasons. Maybe he could break out with the Saints, but with Brees' arm strength diminishing, I'm not sure the Saints need a WR to take the top off a defense.

Binjimin Victor pro
Comparison:

Tyler Boyd (Ceiling)
Geronimo Allison (floor)

Likely-to-be available Rankings updated as of yesterday in the OP.

Recap below:

top likely to be available 2020 draft options:

1)Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
2)Denzel Mims, Baylor
3)Leviska Shenault, Colorado
3b) Jalen Reagor, TCU
4)Bryan Edwards, South Carolina
5)Justin Jefferson, LSU
5B) Michael Pittman JR.
5C) Isaiah Hodgins

Updated rankings 3/14/20

Last edited:
Pro Comparisons updated:

Ceedee Lamb-----Deandre Hopkins
Jerry Jeudy---------Isaac Bruce
Henry Ruggs-------Desean Jackson
Chase Claypool------David Boston/Andre Johnson
Denzel Mims-----Eric Moulds
Leviska Shenault-----AJ Brown

Jalen Reagor----------Terry Glenn/Kennan Mccardel

Bryan Edwards-------Chris Godwin/Kennan Allen

Tee Higgins----Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinco)

Justin Jefferson---Stephon Diggs/Nate Burleson

Isaiah Hodgins-----Michael Thomas

Michael Pittman JR.----Keshawn Johnson

Binjimin Victor----Tyler Boyd/Geronimo Allison

Updated rankings 3/14/20

Last edited:
My top 5 WRs with NFL comps:

1. Henry Ruggs, Alabama: Tyreek Hill
2. Jerry Jeudy, Alabama: Stefon Diggs
3. CeeDee Lamb, OU: DeAndre Hopkins
4. Justin Jefferson, LSU: Cooper Kupp
5. Denzel Mims, Baylor: Kenny Golladay

Hope one of them makes it to 24.

Last edited:
My top 5 WRs with NFL comps:

1. Henry Ruggs, Alabama: Tyreek Hill
2. Jerry Jeudy, Alabama: Stefon Diggs
3. CeeDee Lamb, OU: DeAndre Hopkins
4. Justin Jefferson, LSU: Cooper Kupp
5. Denzel Mims, Baylor: Josh Gordon

Hope one of them makes it to 24.
Good effort!

Ruggs definitely has Tyreek Hill speed.

I can see the others having similar impacts to your other comps as well.

Good effort!

Ruggs definitely has Tyreek Hill speed.

I can see the others having similar impacts to your other comps as well.
If both are somehow available at 24 (highly doubtful), Jefferson vs Mims for the Saints is an interesting debate.

I see Jefferson excelling in a Cooper Kupp type role, being used primarily from the slot. Jefferson and Kupp are extremely similar in their style of play. Jefferson has the potential to be the best slot receiver in the NFL.

Mims' All Pro potential is undeniable. But unlike Jefferson, Mims does the vast majority of his damage from the outside. I believe he's what the Saints were hoping Tre'Quan Smith could be.

WR1 Mike
WR2 Tre'Quan, D Harris, Butler
Slot M Harris, Carr, Humphrey

Both are clearly needs and an argument can be made for both positions. I just hope we get a shot at drafting one of them.

Edit:

Thought it was cool that their NFL comps, Kupp and Golladay, had similar stats in 2019, which was their 3rd NFL season.

Kupp / Golladay:
Tgt 134 / 116
Rec 94 / 65
Yds 1161 /1190
TD 10 / 11
Ctch% .701 / .560

Last edited:
Pro Comparisons updated:

Ceedee Lamb-----Deandre Hopkins
Jerry Jeudy---------Isaac Bruce
Henry Ruggs-------Desean Jackson
Chase Claypool------David Boston/Andre Johnson
Denzel Mims-----Eric Moulds
Leviska Shenault-----AJ Brown

Jalen Reagor----------Terry Glenn/Kennan Mccardel

Bryan Edwards-------Chris Godwin/Kennan Allen

Tee Higgins----Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinco)

Justin Jefferson---Stephon Diggs/Nate Burleson

Michael Pittman JR.----Keshawn Johnson

Binjimin Victor----Tyler Boyd/Geronimo Allison

Updated rankings 3/14/20

Does Higgins have Ocho Cinco speed? Too bad he didn’t run a 40

If both are somehow available at 24 (highly doubtful), Jefferson vs Mims for the Saints is an interesting debate.

I see Jefferson excelling in a Cooper Kupp type role, being used primarily from the slot. Jefferson and Kupp are extremely similar in their style of play. Jefferson has the potential to be the best slot receiver in the NFL.

Mims' All Pro potential is undeniable. But unlike Jefferson, Mims does the vast majority of his damage from the outside. I believe he's what the Saints were hoping Tre'Quan Smith could be.

WR1 Mike
WR2 Tre'Quan, D Harris, Butler
Slot M Harris, Carr, Humphrey

Both are clearly needs and an argument can be made for both positions. I just hope we get a shot at drafting one of them.

Drew would struggle to get Mims the ball. Probably not a hard choice

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom