2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (1 Viewer)

There is no question that we are able to get a top receiver out of this class!

You guys can put together your wish list to your little hearts content but don't be shocked when the Saints go Oline or defense with the pick at 24.

As deep as this draft is at WR taking one at 24 would be silly.

Like I said I prefer a free agent but

There still could be tons of value in the 2nd round.

Jalen Reagor is a lot like Terry McLaren who performed well for the Redskins last year and Michael Pittman Jr. has similar Size and production to AJ Brown who was a ROY condender for the titans this year.

Pittman might be the most like MT or AJ Brown in the early rounds.

He had 101 catches 1275 yds and 11 tds

Last edited:
There is no question that we are able to get a top receiver out of this class!
They have addressed it on the cheap with Dez Bryant and Cam Meredith but neither have panned out.

Meredith was even signed to a $10 million dollar deal and they invested a high draft pick in Trequan smith.

I edited the op to include draft options.

top likely to be available 2020 draft options:

1)Ceedee Lamb, Oklahoma
2)Tee Higgins, Clemson
3)Michael Pittman Jr, USC

I'm from the Philly area and I'll disagree.

He's about as disliked by Eagles fans as Ginn is here, and would give you the same problems. He dropped at least 3 potential game winning Touchdowns for them this season; doesn't make any extra effort to go after 'difficult' catches, and just has serious issues with his hands/catching consistency.

Plus he was injured, unavailable for them down the stretch when they needed receiving targets desperately during their playoff run.

I just think Agholor is a total miscast in Philly. Whereas New Orleans has Brees aging and struggling to get the ball down the field, Wentz greatest strength is his ability to throw the ball with zip. They’ve played Agholor from the Z the majority of his time. The one year he played primarily from the slot he had his best statistical season, including 8 TDs. Brees throws a lot more catchable ball than Wentz and drops were not a problem for Agholor his entire career. He also looked much better with Foles at QB, compared to Wentz. I think they’re just not a good match.

You guys can put together your wish list to your little hearts content but don't be shocked when the Saints go Oline or defense with the pick at 24.

As deep as this draft is at WR taking one at 24 would be silly.

If Michael Thomas was there at 24 you wouldn’t take him? This draft will have prospects better than Michael Thomas at 24.

If Michael Thomas was there at 24 you wouldn’t take him? This draft will have prospects better than Michael Thomas at 24.
Right there's a very good chance the actual Best Player Available this draft will be a Wide receiver, unless there's a crazy run on them in the 1st round and the top 7, 8 guys all go before we pick.

And hey I'm fine with that because it most likely means a talented Front 7 player fell to us like Kenneth Murray, Javon Kinlaw, or AJ Epenesa.. and if they take an OL that means they finally scouted a worthy Peat replacement to draft so I'm happy either way.

The last wr that I will likely mention today that I feel is criminally underrated is Bryan Edwards of South Carolina.

He is a do-it-all wr that tracks the ball deep, explodes quickly out of his cuts and has tremendous YAC ability.

His overall quickness might only be second to Ceedee Lamb of the top 10 wrs

Michael Pittman and Bryan Edwards would be great picks for the Saints in rd one but might even fall all the way to rd 2 making them incredible values.

While Pittman compares to Mike Thomas and AJ Brown, Bryan Edwards compares favorably to Chris Godwin (Buccaneers).

Right there's a very good chance the actual Best Player Available this draft will be a Wide receiver, unless there's a crazy run on them in the 1st round and the top 7, 8 guys all go before we pick.

And hey I'm fine with that because it most likely means a talented Front 7 player fell to us like Kenneth Murray, Javon Kinlaw, or AJ Epenesa.. and if they take an OL that means they finally scouted a worthy Peat replacement to draft so I'm happy either way.
If Wide out is the Pick I fully expect that Payton mighy try to trade up for the best fit like he did with Brandin Cooks.

Then again, having a guy like Pittman fall to them also has it's appeal.

Since the time I started really digging into players after college (2015), Jerry Jeudy is the best WR I have watched. Out wide or from the slot, he has intangibles that win everywhere along the formation. Deep speed, smooth hips, effortless breaks into routes, wonderful hands. It’s hard to find a player with his skill set without mentioning an all-timer like Jerry Rice or Chad Johnson. He is incredible.

CeeDee Lamb is probably second, but he is a distant second. I say that because many feel this is a close race between he and Jeudy. I am seeing it more as the Amari Cooper v Kevin White discussion years ago. Not that he is Kevin White levels of bad, but I see him as more of an evolved Robby Anderson than an elite WR prospect. Still, because of the ceiling I would hesitate to rank any others outside of Jeudy above him.

Henry Ruggs I like for third. Best utility will be getting by defenders, but I think he’s pretty smooth in and out, and I like his willingness over the middle. A ton of similarities to Marquise Brown from last year.

I’ve discussed my infatuation at length about Justin Jefferson, especially for the New Orleans offense. I think you’ll see his stock waiver because he’s a pure slot IMO. But he is quality from the position. More technical than athletic, but he always separates so there’s not much room for criticism on his speed or quickness. Cooper Kupp was my reference.

Laviska Shenault would end my top 5. I think he’s incredibly explosive and has so much utility as not only a WR, but also as a gadget in the run game, ala Deebo Samuel. A little rounded as a route runner, but makes up for it with his athleticism and after the catch ability.

Not sold on Tee Higgins. Was pretty disappointed with what I saw from him. He’s an outside the numbers, downfield guy and doesn’t show much else.

Since the time I started really digging into players after college (2015), Jerry Jeudy is the best WR I have watched. Out wide or from the slot, he has intangibles that win everywhere along the formation. Deep speed, smooth hips, effortless breaks into routes, wonderful hands. It’s hard to find a player with his skill set without mentioning an all-timer like Jerry Rice or Chad Johnson. He is incredible.

CeeDee Lamb is probably second, but he is a distant second. I say that because many feel this is a close race between he and Jeudy. I am seeing it more as the Amari Cooper v Kevin White discussion years ago. Not that he is Kevin White levels of bad, but I see him as more of an evolved Robby Anderson than an elite WR prospect. Still, because of the ceiling I would hesitate to rank any others outside of Jeudy above him.

Henry Ruggs I like for third. Best utility will be getting by defenders, but I think he’s pretty smooth in and out, and I like his willingness over the middle. A ton of similarities to Marquise Brown from last year.

I’ve discussed my infatuation at length about Justin Jefferson, especially for the New Orleans offense. I think you’ll see his stock waiver because he’s a pure slot IMO. But he is quality from the position. More technical than athletic, but he always separates so there’s not much room for criticism on his speed or quickness. Cooper Kupp was my reference.

Laviska Shenault would end my top 5. I think he’s incredibly explosive and has so much utility as not only a WR, but also as a gadget in the run game, ala Deebo Samuel. A little rounded as a route runner, but makes up for it with his athleticism and after the catch ability.

Not sold on Tee Higgins. Was pretty disappointed with what I saw from him. He’s an outside the numbers, downfield guy and doesn’t show much else.
I would agree that Juedy has a case for the best receiver prospect in that time span along with Mike Williams & Amari Cooper.

Cooper drew comps to Torrey Holt coming out but Lamb looks like a near-carbon copy of Deandre Hopkins.

I expect Lamb's shuttle and 3-cones to be off the charts because his lateral agility and body-control looks unmatched.

Ruggs is definitely reminiscent of Marquise Brown or a player like Joey Galloway or Tyreek Hill.

Agree on Shenault and Jefferson.

I think that Higgins is what the Saints need on the outside. A sure-handed guy that can compete for the ball in the air.

Higgins reminds me a lot of JuJu Smith-Schuster and Davante Adams.

I personally think Perriman is the best target if you are to go after a Free agent in this class, he is fairly complete from a measurable standpoint; and looks like he is finally rounding into his own as a player in the league with his finish down the stretch.

Wonder how much resources Tampa can actually afford to use to retain him considering they already have Evans, and Godwin? Going from the #3 guy in Tampa to the #2 lining up opposite Mike Thomas seems like a pretty good deal; if the Saints can fit him under the cap...

I agree. Perriman came on strong and we offer a #2 behind the best WR in football. Like another poster stated, Robby Anderson would be intriguing too....

Is AB still a FA? Just kidding.......

I love Perriman, but I think the earlier reply that predicted he will get PAID big $$$ because of a slim FA crop is spot on. The entire league saw Perriman blow up the last 5 weeks, and the guy oozes potential and talent. Some team is going to pay ?to get him.

Some other FA possibilities that I think if the Saints MO and need would include:

Rashard Higgins, Browns: Higgins has good size and very solid hands. He runs precise routes and has made plays as a pro. He’s not a burner, but he has the quickness to gain separation and be a very solid short to intermediate possession WR.

Tajae Sharpe, Titans: 6’2, 195lb WR that is a hard worker and reliable target. Has enough speed to push deep and runs precise routes. Experience in Tennessee has improved his ability as a blocker on the outside, and he has much untapped potential as a receiver in a more pass-centric offense.

Keelan Cole, Jags: Cole reminds me of Joe Horn in his game very much so. Similar size and measurables to Horn, but Cole is very humble and extremely devout student of the game. He is a RFA, but I believe Cole could really excel with the Saints... in their offense, and with the guidance of the Saints coaches and CGM.

*David Moore, Seahawks: Another RFA, but worth mentioning as a bonus. At 6’0 220lbs, Moore is built like a RB, but he has 4.4 speed to go with it. He quietly made a name for himself in Seattle as a complimentary piece, but he has the size/speed/strength combo to do some damage in YAC.

DRAFT

Draft-wise, I think Laviska Shenault would be the perfect pick for the Saints. I love his game and versatility.
I am not a fan of Jalen Raegor(sp?) from TCU. Admittedly, I did not watch him play... but everything I’ve read on him states that he is slight of build, runs inconsistent/sloppy routes, and is still raw... It’s his blazing speed that puts him in the conversation, and that is a trait that isn’t as important for the Saints and their current offense and needs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom