2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (1 Viewer)

If Michael Thomas was there at 24 you wouldn’t take him? This draft will have prospects better than Michael Thomas at 24.

In fairness did ANYONE see Michael Thomas as the receiver that he's turned out to be?

If one thing has been consistent with Sean Payton is that they don't value the WR position as highly as other positions and with this draft being as deep as it is with WR talent the brain trust will probably feel that there is no need to take a WR with the 24th pick.

I may be wrong but I just don't see them taking a WR at 24.

There are other holes to fill on the Oline and on defense.

This scenario plays out every season with the fans and this year will in all likelyhood be no different.

In fairness did ANYONE see Michael Thomas as the receiver that he's turned out to be?

If one thing has been consistent with Sean Payton is that they don't value the WR position as highly as other positions and with this draft being as deep as it is with WR talent the brain trust will probably feel that there is no need to take a WR with the 24th pick.

This scenario plays out every season with the fans and this year will in all likelyhood be no different.

Meachem and Cooks were both 1st rounders.

There are still 6 other rounds to address oline and defense.

OG and Cb value are usually found most past round 1 anyway.

True, but we don’t have a 2nd rounder. It’s a long wait from pick 24 in the first to pick 88 in the third.
Yes but Several top guards go in rd 3 and many top cornerd are found in that range or lower.

Brandon Brooks was a 3rd rounder.

Jhari Evans and Carl Nicks both went after rd 3.

Jabari Greer, Delvin Breaux, Keenan Lewis and Mike McKenzie all went 3rd round or later. Lattimore is the exception to the rule for Saints top cbs drafted highly.

Before that our top corners in rounds 1-2 were the likes of Malcolm Jenkins, Alex Molden, Tracy Porter and Patrick Robinson.

Might even be better to just sign a CB given their history

A lot of these WRs are pretty close in talent. The tiebreaker for Payton will be which one can learn his system. Jefferson seems to already know it. Also, Joe Brady taught those LSU WRs how to position their bodies to receive the various types of throws. They were all very good with the ball in the air.

I'm from the Philly area and I'll disagree.

He's about as disliked by Eagles fans as Ginn is here, and would give you the same problems. He dropped at least 3 potential game winning Touchdowns for them this season; doesn't make any extra effort to go after 'difficult' catches, and just has serious issues with his hands/catching consistency.

Plus he was injured, unavailable for them down the stretch when they needed receiving targets desperately during their playoff run.

Yeah. He's probably in the XFL next year. He is awful.

I watch almost all the Colorado games because my wife went there, and it wouldn’t shock me if Payton falls in love with Shenault and his versatility. Payton just seems less and less interested in finding players that fit a typical role on offense, and more and more into guys that can be used multiple ways to create mismatches.

If Taysom doesn’t sign or is the primary backup, Shenault could be used in a lot of similar ways. And the combination of the two could make for some really crazy play design.

In order to help support this thread, I am adding a list of potential cap casualties at the WR position...

• Sammy Watkins, 27 ($14M in cap savings)
  • Tyrell Williams, 28 ($11.1M)
  • Will Fuller, 26 ($10.1M)
  • Albert Wilson, 28 ($9.5M)
  • Kenny Stills, 28 ($7M)
  • Marvin Jones, 30 ($6.5M)
  • Mohamed Sanu, 31 ($6.5M)
  • Marqise Lee, 28 ($5.25M)
  • Marquise Goodwin, 29 ($3.6M)
  • Golden Tate, 32 ($3.3M)

I think we are a super bowl team next season IF IF IF we add a STUD slot receiver. This is our biggest need , if we get it done we will be fine. Brees will be fine. Every other team I watch seems to have far superior WR than we do. I kind of shunned that notion aside the last two years but its glaring now.

Im compiling a list of potential #2 Wrs for the coming free agency period after washouts like Cameron Meridith, TreQuan Smith, Dez Bryant, Ted Ginn jr, Keith KirkWood, and Emmanuel Butler haven't yet successfully filled the position.

Im of the opinion that the Saints are one or two great players away and need to go all in on a couple of superstars this offseason.

#2 wr has been the biggest hole on the team besides cornerback depth and that needs to change so without further ado the top two names on my Free agent list are:

1) Amari Cooper
2) Breshard Perriman

top available 2020 draft options:

1)Ceedee Lamb, Oklahoma
2)Tee Higgins, Clemson
3)Michael Pittman Jr, USC
There is a lot of WR depth in the draft. I think we need a guard too. Don't think we are keeping Peat.

There is a lot of WR depth in the draft. I think we need a guard too. Don't think we are keeping Peat.

The Saints are very good at drafting quality OL in the mid-to-late draft. They could grab a very good G in the 4th-5th round and that player could start next season... or least be a valuable backup to Easton.
Don’t rule out Patrick Omameh getting re-signed and blossoming in the Saints system. He’s got nice upside

The Saints are very good at drafting quality OL in the mid-to-late draft. They could grab a very good G in the 4th-5th round and that player could start next season... or least be a valuable backup to Easton.
Don’t rule out Patrick Omameh getting re-signed and blossoming in the Saints system. He’s got nice upside

I think we have good O-line players and depth on the roster already especially if we re-sign Omameh which should be a priority. Omameh plays both OT and OG, then there is Eason, Clapp, Tom, and Greenwich. I’m sure we will bring in some UDFA’s and a project in the later rounds.

Perrimann could be a option. Ginn is a UFA if im not mistaken. If Ginn doesnt resign Perriman could play the Flanker role in our concepts. Right now we have Smith and Harris who will probably alternate in the role.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom