2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (1 Viewer)

We forgetting all the FA's on the current roster.... will be hard to sign a FA WR we are wanting..... Maybe get lucky in the 3rd or later with another Colston pick probably best we can hope for

We forgetting all the FA's on the current roster.... will be hard to sign a FA WR we are wanting..... Maybe get lucky in the 3rd or later with another Colston pick probably best we can hope for

The big $$ FA WRs (or really any position for that matter) are most likely out... but a mid-to-lower tier WR, that still has some upside/potential is very possible... as well as a vet that has some gas left in the tank, and wants to try for a last hurrah.

I honestly believe that the Saints will sign a WR and draft one.

With Brees arm strength diminishing, I say we need that slot guy with the ability to make a man miss ..... Like a Hill from KC.......

Well two out of 14 drafts don't exactly point to the FO and coaching staff being very fond of taking WR's with the first pick.

As deep as this draft is at WR I still don't see the Saints going there at 24.

We're probably all wrong anyway.

2/14 is still about 14%. That's pretty high considering that there are 22 positions on the field (excluding special teams). I wouldn't take that as any indication that the Saints WOULDN'T get a 1st round WR. Something to consider is that the Saints don't typically get a WR unless it is a considerable position of weakness.

Meachem was drafted because Joe Horn's contract was up and was on the decline. It was pretty obvious that the Saints needed another WR to go alongside Colston (and to a lesser extent Henderson).

Cooks was drafted because Colston was on the decline and the Saints were losing both Moore and Meachem. It was an obvious position of need to find a WR who can go along side Colston and Graham, and potentially take over for Colston the following season.

Here we are in 2020. The Saints have CGM and that's pretty much it at the WR position. The Saints were hoping on TQS taking the next step, but he didn't. Unlike 2019, the TE is in place, and it's still pretty clear that the receiving corp is not good enough. And we can't ignore the fact that this is the strongest WR draft in recent memory. You know 2017, how you literally couldn't go wrong at the RB position? Take a RB, any RB...Fournette, McCaffrey, Cook, Kamara, Mixon, Mack, Hunt, Conner, Carson, Jones, Cohen...about a third of the leagues starting RBs. That is the type of draft this is at the WR position. If the Saints don't get a WR from this draft class...to say that I'll be frustrated is an understatement. It's an ENORMOUS need and this draft is absolutely LOADED with blue chip talent that can really help us.

2/14 is still about 14%. That's pretty high considering that there are 22 positions on the field (excluding special teams). I wouldn't take that as any indication that the Saints WOULDN'T get a 1st round WR. Something to consider is that the Saints don't typically get a WR unless it is a considerable position of weakness.

Meachem was drafted because Joe Horn's contract was up and was on the decline. It was pretty obvious that the Saints needed another WR to go alongside Colston (and to a lesser extent Henderson).

Cooks was drafted because Colston was on the decline and the Saints were losing both Moore and Meachem. It was an obvious position of need to find a WR who can go along side Colston and Graham, and potentially take over for Colston the following season.

Here we are in 2020. The Saints have CGM and that's pretty much it at the WR position. The Saints were hoping on TQS taking the next step, but he didn't. Unlike 2019, the TE is in place, and it's still pretty clear that the receiving corp is not good enough. And we can't ignore the fact that this is the strongest WR draft in recent memory. You know 2017, how you literally couldn't go wrong at the RB position? Take a RB, any RB...Fournette, McCaffrey, Cook, Kamara, Mixon, Mack, Hunt, Conner, Carson, Jones, Cohen...about a third of the leagues starting RBs. That is the type of draft this is at the WR position. If the Saints don't get a WR from this draft class...to say that I'll be frustrated is an understatement. It's an ENORMOUS need and this draft is absolutely LOADED with blue chip talent that can really help us.

lol......................ok!

Devin Duvernay... I like to add his name to different WR threads in the hope it somehow helps him land with the Saints.

Together, we can make it happen.

Epic-Handshake.jpg

Just to add to his point, many consider this Draft class of Wide Receivers stronger or at least equivalent to the 2014 WR class..

and that 2014 class boasted:
Mike Evans
Sammy Watkins
Odell Beckham Jr.
Brandin Cooks
Davante Adams
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry
John Brown

Most of those guys are certified #1 quality WRs in this league, so that gives you an idea about the hype of this 2020 draft class. You could have as many as 8-9 WRs graded in the top #50 overall players.

So no it definitely doesn't "lock" the Saints into taking a WR with their 1st rounder.. but chances are there could be a Receiver that ranks as Best player available when they do pick.... I will also say if for whatever reason there are no Receivers that match the fit for the Saints where they pick, I'd like to go LB, Pass rushing 3-tech, and OG as well...

I think we have good O-line players and depth on the roster already especially if we re-sign Omameh which should be a priority. Omameh plays both OT and OG, then there is Eason, Clapp, Tom, and Greenwich. I’m sure we will bring in some UDFA’s and a project in the later rounds.

Our OL got handled in the Vikings game. It’s the reason we lost. I think we will sign a big FA or spend a high draft pick on another OL...most likely a LG.

Our OL got handled in the Vikings game. It’s the reason we lost. I think we will sign a big FA or spend a high draft pick on another OL...most likely a LG.
That typically happens when defenses can pin their ears back to rush the QB because no one other than MT is a threat at wr.

I think out first round pick will be a WR.

I don't see these WRs getting anywhere near #24:
Jerry Jeudy, Alabama
Ceedee Lamb, Oklahoma
Henry Ruggs, Alabama

I would be super happy with any of these WRs:
Laviska Shenault, Colorado
Justin Jefferson, LSU
Tee Higgins, Clemson
Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State
Jalen Reagor, TCU

Last edited:

I'm hoping the same, if not OL I hope BPA is DL....

That typically happens when defenses can pin their ears back to rush the QB because no one other than MT is a threat at wr.

You have it backwards, if you can't win the LOS, everything else is moot....

Yes but Several top guards go in rd 3 and many top cornerd are found in that range or lower.

Brandon Brooks was a 3rd rounder.

Jhari Evans and Carl Nicks both went after rd 3.

Jabari Greer, Delvin Breaux, Keenan Lewis and Mike McKenzie all went 3rd round or later. Lattimore is the exception to the rule for Saints top cbs drafted highly.

Before that our top corners in rounds 1-2 were the likes of Malcolm Jenkins, Alex Molden, Tracy Porter and Patrick Robinson.

Might even be better to just sign a CB given their history
Was looking at the top 2020 Guard prospects and there is a lot of depth in the project 3-5 rounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom