2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (1 Viewer)

We should be shopping for WR's that have super hands, and enough size to muscle their way open. Speed burners are expensive and largely wasted unless your QB has a cannon arm. You can't count on YAC for a speedster against a short zone.

I think out first round pick will be a WR.

I don't see these WRs getting anywhere near #24:
Jerry Jeudy, Alabama
Ceedee Lamb, Oklahoma
Henry Ruggs, Alabama

Ruggs may sneak in there, but yep, Jeudy and Lamb are gone pecans.

No idea what Payton is thinking, he well may go OL, DL, RB, or QB. Some mocks have him taking WR's, just saw one with him taking Justin Jefferson, a big reach depending on the Combines.

NFL.com got us taking Jefferson. Was skeptical of LSU receivers but Jefferson can play.

Ruggs may sneak in there, but yep, Jeudy and Lamb are gone pecans.

No idea what Payton is thinking, he well may go OL, DL, RB, or QB. Some mocks have him taking WR's, just saw one with him taking Justin Jefferson, a big reach depending on the Combines.
I don't think Jefferson is a reach at 24, and that's mainly because of scheme fit. Right now Jefferson projects as a round 2 guy but I really think most years he'd be viewed as a 1st rounder, it's just that this is a legendary WR class so it pushes his value down

He's just an all around solid receiver, good routes, good hands, he's not an extra-ordinary athlete like Lamb or Ruggs are but you could plug him into the Slot week 1 and expect solid production. All the Saints need is somey who can reliably run routes, and not drop the ball .. CGM will take care of the rest.

I don't think Jefferson is a reach at 24, and that's mainly because of scheme fit. Right now Jefferson projects as a round 2 guy but I really think most years he'd be viewed as a 1st rounder, it's just that this is a legendary WR class so it pushes his value down

He's just an all around solid receiver, good routes, good hands, he's not an extra-ordinary athlete like Lamb or Ruggs are but you could plug him into the Slot week 1 and expect solid production. All the Saints need is somey who can reliably run routes, and not drop the ball .. CGM will take care of the rest.
It makes more sense to draft an outside wr that can play heavy inside like Colston or MT rather than strictly a slot guy who is mostly lost on the outside.

If they draft a wr I hope that it's a guy who is adept at all 3 wr positions

We should be shopping for WR's that have super hands, and enough size to muscle their way open. Speed burners are expensive and largely wasted unless your QB has a cannon arm. You can't count on YAC for a speedster against a short zone.
The only two WRs who I think will fit the Saints perfectly at #24 if Lamb is gone is

Michael Pittman Jr.---Mike Thomas comp
Tee Higgins---Chad Johnson comp

They are so close that you can flip a coin with both of them.

I like them best because i think they have a better shot of playing every wr position unlike Reagor and Jefferson

Michael Pittman jr (2019)

10 catches 232 yds vs Utah​

Last edited:

If you are looking for a 1 year rental I agree...otherwise, you get a playmaking WR.

Hopefully from us but mostly incentive-laden.

It's hard to see a team giving him much guaranteed money outside of a signing bonus and who wouldn't want to play with Brees, Payton and CGM.

Perriman's career so far has taken a similar path as past receivers like Joe Horn and Jimmy Smith of the Jaguars.

He is a rising star that just might fit.

I can always count on you to put someone on my radar that wasn’t there b4. He’s what they’d refer to around here as an “ascending” player...think KeenanLewis when we got him from Steelers.

Hes got the former 1st round pedigree but most impressive his ability to high point the ball..something he’ll absolutely need to do when Brees chunks it.

Also capable of winning earlier in his route than Ginn is at this point.

I like,I like I like. Even more than Cooper because he’s taller resulting in a few more inches added to his catch radius and FB is a game of inches.

YES PLEASE

I can always count on you to put someone on my radar that wasn’t there b4. He’s what they’d refer to around here as an “ascending” player...think KeenanLewis when we got him from Steelers.

Hes got the former 1st round pedigree but most impressive his ability to high point the ball..something he’ll absolutely need to do when Brees chunks it.

I like,I like I like. Even more than Cooper because he’s taller resulting in a few more inches added to his catch radius and FB is a game of inches.

YES PLEASE
The best thing about Perriman is his experience and even physical skillset is superior to every receiver in this draft, even Jeudy.

I would say that he is a better option than picking a wr in rd 1 or 2.

I would rather go defense or oline in 1-2

YES PLEASE
Perriman's skills are superior right now to any wr in this draft, even Jeudy and Lamb.

My preference would be to sign Perriman and draft a guy like Bryan Edwards in rd 3 who can play slot or outside right away in a dominant fashion.

Last edited:
There will be top shelf WRs still available in Round 2... The Saints could skip one in Round 1, grab BPA, then trade into Round 2 and get their WR... that fits their MO

It makes more sense to draft an outside wr that can play heavy inside like Colston or MT rather than strictly a slot guy who is mostly lost on the outside.

If they draft a wr I hope that it's a guy who is adept at all 3 wr positions
I don't really see the notion that Jefferson can only be "just a slot guy" and nothing more at the next level.

Just because his strengths, and traits make him an ideal slot? I'm going over some of his tape right now and he has been played at both the Flanker and Split End spots, and won routes downfield on and off the line, on the field and boundary. (examples I'm watching right now are his Touchdowns vs UCF and Utah State) where he won off the line, stacked the corner, used body position and won on vertical routes.

Yeah he's best utilized as a slot, but he has the height, size, and hand usage to win on the outside; as well. LSU just had the perfect guys to utilize in the X, and the Z roles in Terrace Marshall, and Ja'Marr Chase.

one scout
but don't mistake him for *just* a slot receiver. Jefferson has the physicality and footwork to win on the boundary against press coverage as well, he'll be a sufficient weapon for any starting quarterback. Jefferson may not necessarily be best as the focal point of his offensive attack, but he'll be a deadly #2 threat in an WR room.

If you are looking for the best pure Split End, who can fight off press being lined up right on the Line most snaps I think your guy is Tee Higgins, to me he wins so many jump balls, and contested catches on vertical routes; but just straight short term thinking I don't believe Drew will be able to fully utilize Higgins on down the field 9 routes, as throwing vertical routes outside the numbers probably won't happen a lot next season with Drew at QB.

I just think Jefferson fits the Saints better because Slot versatility, is huge in Payton's Wide receivers; and Jefferson wins a lot of routes with Football IQ, by setting up Defenders with subtle moves and lying to them with his eyes to divert them.

:sidenote: after watching more film I'm completely Out on Reagor for the Saints. Inconsistent hands, Concentration lapses looking to run before securing catches, undersized, not a nuanced route runner, and not physical...

Last edited:
I don't really see the notion that Jefferson can only be "just a slot guy" and nothing more at the next level.

Just because his strengths, and traits make him an ideal slot? I'm going over some of his tape right now and he has been played at both the Flanker and Split End spots, and won routes downfield on and off the line, on the field and boundary. (examples I'm watching right now are his Touchdowns vs UCF and Utah State) where he won off the line, stacked the corner, used body position and won on vertical routes.

Yeah he's best utilized as a slot, but he has the height, size, and hand usage to win on the outside; as well. LSU just had the perfect guys to utilize in the X, and the Z roles in Terrace Marshall, and Ja'Marr Chase.

one scout

If you are looking for the best pure Split End, who can fight off press being lined up right on the Line most snaps I think your guy is Tee Higgins, to me he wins so many jump balls, and contested catches on vertical routes; but just straight short term thinking I don't believe Drew will be ab,e to fully utilize Higgins on down the field 9 routes, as throwing vertical routes outside the numbers probably won't happen a lot next season with Drew at QB.

I just think Jefferson fits the Saints better because Slot versatility, is huge in Payton's Wide receivers; and Jefferson wins a lot of routes with Football IQ, by setting up Defenders with subtle moves and lying to them with his eyes to divert them.

:sidenote: after watching more film I'm completely Out on Reagor for the Saints. Inconsistent hands, Concentration lapses looking to run before securing catches, undersized, not a nuanced route runner, and not physical...

From the team's heavy interest in AJ Brown

last year to their signing of players like Krishawn Hogan and Lil'Jordan Humphrey

It seems like the Team is after a big guy to play slot and outside.

The guys who fit that description best that they have a shot at imo are Pittman Jr, Higgins, and Shenault.

A guy in that 220 lb range.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom