2020 LSU off-season thread (2 Viewers)

I was just thinking yesterday morning how dominant we could be on the defensive side of the ball next year. I firmly believe Chaisson adds another 25lbs and looks like Chase Young next season. The dline and secondaries should be absurdly good. Queen was about to have a Devin White kind of year and Phillips is the perfect piece next to him. It will be tough to replace those two. Two silver linings at LB. It is one of those positions where a lot of really good college players and experience exists without a big drop off. Really need to find one in the portal or Juco that can come in. The second is Aranda is creative and can mix up defenses and move an extra safety or corner in against teams running the spread (which we will see a lot of) and the dline is plenty stout to handle the run without a lot of help. It will make the games against Florida, Bama and Auburn more difficult and when we play UGA in SEC championship it will test the LBs.

Really surprised we haven't heard from Chaisson yet. Logan, Deculus and Shelvin have confirmed they will return. Defense won't be in too bad shape.

DE: Farrell, Cherry
NT: Shelvin, Ika
DE: Logan, Thomas*
OLB: Brooks, Fonua
ILB: Baskerville, Starks
ILB: Clark, White
OLB/S: Stevens
CB: Stingley, Ward
SS: Monroe, Lewis
FS: Harris, Hampton
CB: Flott, Jones

That's just the guys on the roster, all of which received significant playing time this season. I expect that the new kids like Roy, Guillory, Gaye, Ricks, Webb, Ojulari, Toles and White will see significant playing time, too. That's going to be a fast defense.

Dear Lord, make it stop.
This is why the great programs must keep the cupboard full.
When you have these types of winning seasons the turnover ratio of players and coaches will always be huge. Hopefully Coach O can continue to make LSU the greatest stomping grounds for all the best talent in the country. If so, we will continue to see the kind of success that we are enjoying today! :9:

Chaisson needs to stay. If he adds another 20lbs of muscle again this offseasons and works on some inside leverage moves he will be a top 3 pick in the draft. Right now he is going to remind too many NFL teams of Mingo and Key, an undersized end that is limited to speed rushing off the edge. He has the body type, size and skillset to have a Chase Young type year next season.

No way Aranda takes the Hawaii job but Baylor is a nice stepping stone place. I'm not sure he wants to be a college HC though. I think his calling card is ultimately in the NFL. That would be the biggest loss of everyone so hopefully he stays.

Just like a Previous LSU DC John Chavis. He was/is a great DC and that’s all he wanted. He had multiple opportunities to go be a HC but he liked what he did. Know I have no idea if Aranda feels that way also. He’s making great money (highest paid assistant Coach in NCAA) and gets to do what he loves which is coach the Defense.

If he does leave it will really hurt our Defense unless his predecessor runs a similar 3 man front cause we are sorely lacking DE’s that can rush.

It looks like the price of success is very high! Massive attrition by players and coaches (two most important assistant coaches IMO). This will truly test just how good Coach Orgeron is (as head coach). While I'm disappointed the team won't be nearly as good as it could be in 2020, I also understand these guys are doing what's best for them and their families. I really can blame any of them for capitalizing on the incredible season we just witnessed.

Orgeron is about to earn every cent of his check a few days after winning a Natty...

Chaisson needs to stay. If he adds another 20lbs of muscle again this offseasons and works on some inside leverage moves he will be a top 3 pick in the draft. Right now he is going to remind too many NFL teams of Mingo and Key, an undersized end that is limited to speed rushing off the edge. He has the body type, size and skillset to have a Chase Young type year next season.
He needs another move to go along with his speed rush. He has done well but has not shown a counter-move once the tackle has the angle on him.

Chaisson announced on Twitter that he will forgo the 2020 season at LSU and head off the 2020 NFL Draft.

Gonna be a young Defense this year. Lots of true freshman and sophomores playing.

I’m sure Aranda leaving had a huge impact on their decisions to leave early.

LSU going to have a big down year on defense. You can't lose that many players in one season as we have seen in the past. We have no pass rush, we are thin and inexperienced at the LB position and this young team will have to deal with a new scheme on top of it all.

I honestly think we should name a new defensive coordinator from within the current staff who knows Aranda's system the best for this next season. If that doesn't work out then we will have access to a lot bigger group of DC candidates to chose from next season.

I wonder if John Chavis would be willing to come back or was that bridge burnt when he left? IMO he was the best DC we had before Aranda.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom