2020 LSU Recruiting Thread (2 Viewers)

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
2020 isn't a top class in Louisiana, but it's a deep class in terms of quality. Four kids have given verbals as of the start of this thread. Outside of that, I haven't kept up with it much. I'll try and dig up the expected position breakdown of this class when I can.

LSU Commits | Louisiana State Rankings

Current Commits
  1. Arik Gilbert, TE (Marietta, GA)
  2. Elias Ricks, CB (Bradenton, FL)
  3. Rakim Jarrett, WR (Washington, DC)
  4. Jermaine Burton, WR (Calabasas, CA)
  5. Jaquelin Roy, DT (Baton Rouge, LA)
  6. Kayshon Boutte, WR (New Iberia, LA)
  7. Antoine Sampah, ILB (Woodbridge, VA)
  8. Jordan Toles, S (Baltimore, MD)
  9. Major Burns, CB (Baton Rouge, LA)
  10. Demon Clowney, DE (Baltimore, MD)
  11. Josh White, ILB (Houston, TX)
  12. Max Johnson, QB (Watkinsville, GA)
  13. Lorando Johnson, CB (Lancaster, TX)
  14. Alec Bryant, DE (Pearland, TX)
  15. Koy Moore, WR (Metairie, LA)
  16. Eric Taylor, DT (Trussville, AL)
  17. Jalen Lee, DT (Watson, LA)
  18. TJ Finley, QB (Ponchatoula, LA)
  19. Kole Taylor, TE (Grand Junction, CO)
  20. CamRon Johnson, DT (Haynesville, LA)
  21. Marlon Martinez, OG (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
  22. Ali Gaye, DE (Edmonds, WA)
  23. Malcolm Greene, S (Highland Springs, VA)
  24. BJ Ojulari, DE (Marietta, GA)

Last edited:
OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
Current Targets
Kayshon Boutte, WR (New Iberia, LA)
Jacobian Guillory, DT (Alexandria, LA)
Ashaad Clayton, RB (New Orleans, LA)
Jalen Cook, WR (Walker, LA)
CamRon Jackson, DT (Haynesville, LA)
Jakhi Douglas, WR (Houma, LA)
Eric Reed, ATH (Shreveport, LA)
Sedrick Van Pran, LB (New Orleans, LA)
Trenton Grow, WR (Edgard, LA)
Dustin Dyson, TE (Hammond, LA)
Zachary Evans, RB (Houston, TX)
Kimani Vidal, RB (Marietta, GA)
Jalen McMillan, WR (Fresno, CA)
Bryn Tucker, OT (Knoxville, TN)
Chris Morris, OT (Memphis, TN)
Marcus Dumervil, OT (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Jason Eaton, OT (Clarksville, TN)
Brady Ward, OT (Mobile, AL)
Justin Rogers, OG (Oak Park, MI)
Will Jones, C (Humble, TX)
Jalen Reeves, DE (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Johnnie Brown, DT (Tampa, FL)
Eric Taylor, DT (Trussville, AL)
Jayion McCluster, ILB (Largo, FL)
Martavius French, ILB (Memphis, TN)
Ethan West, ILB (Midlothian, VA)
Kevin Swint, OLB (Carrollton, GA)
Damian Sellers, OLB (Scottsdale, AZ)
Dwight McGlothern, CB (Cedar Hill, TX)
Bud Clark, CB (Alexandria, LA)
Junior Summerhill, S (Florence, AL)
Chris Thompson Jr., S (Duncanville, TX
Ja'Quinden Jackson, ATH (Duncanville, TX)
DJ Graham, ATH (Keller, TX)
Dawson Ellington, ATH (Marietta, GA)
Adam Chaney, ATH (Saraland, AL)

Last edited:
OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
Kayshon Boutte, the #1 recruit in Louisiana for the 2020 class has committed to LSU. Expect to start seeing these wins in 2018 start to pay off in the 2020 class.

OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
Courtland Ford, a 4-star OT thought to be a slight Bama lean has committed to LSU. He was at the Bama game for an unofficial visit. The #2 OT in Texas, the #23 OT and #166 overall recruit in the country. He holds offers from Bama, UGA, TCU, Oregon, Ole Miss, TAMU and lesser programs.

Ford is part of the same group as Jerrel Cherry last season. This weekend Kardell Thomas was in his ear. Orgeron's "we need to recruit better players" remark after the Bama game paid off here...

Last edited:
OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
Elias Ricks is the Derek Stingley for 2020 out of Santa Ana, CA. He has made unofficial visits to LSU already and is on the record as saying they're one of a definite 3 to get official visits next season. This season he has six pick-6s (two called back for penalties) and is the best CB on the West Coast. probably a heavy lean to USC due to location and family ties. LSU is in the hunt and he has said that location won't be a factor in his decision.

OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
BOOM!

QB Max Johnson (6-4, 215) has verbally committed to LSU. Max is the son of former NFL QB, Brad Johnson. He let tOSU and Alabama know a few months back that he was not considering them. FSU was eliminated a while back when they hired Taggert (Dad was a Seminole; Taggert offense doesn't appeal to Max) and Miami was a strong consideration (Uncle Mark Richt was a powerful selling point). He picked LSU out of UGA, Wisconsin, Miami and UNC. Word is that the left-handed thrower benefits from his father's gifts and knowledge like most kids of NFL QBs normally would. If this holds out to signing day, Max would be the highest ranked QB to sign with LSU since Russel Shepard. He is listed as a Pro Style QB, but he plays basketball and allegedly has good mobility. Not only is this a huge get for LSU, this strikes a serious blow to UGA who had marked Johnson as a priority right in their backyard (literally, he lives about 15-20 mins from the UGA campus).

We always talk about getting that one QB who commits to LSU that is the one to turn things around. The early read in recruiting is that this could be the guy that starts that run. This could definitely be the kind of QB who sends up signals to other recruits and starts attracting the best talent in a class.

No idea right now where this leaves TJ Finley. He has gifts, but you don't turn away a kid like Max. I'm sure the coaches would love to keep TJ around because he needs some work anyway. Also, I don't know if this had anything to do with Max's recruitment, but IIRC Sean Salisbury played with his dad on the Vikings. There has been plenty of smoke regarding Sean joining the LSU staff.

Lo

You

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
On the surface, this makes no sense at all so I have to believe that there’s something below the surface. The salisbury rumor rings clearly so maybe that’s it.

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I watched the highlights for him. So you're telling me that he's got another year to grow and develop? Heck, I'd take him now, so I can't wait to see what he does with another year of experience. This is a big commit.

Treybad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Got a question how many High School Juniors who declare/commit actually end up going through with it??

OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
Got a question how many High School Juniors who declare/commit actually end up going through with it??
Well, at QB a pretty high rate. I think it's at worst a 50/50 proposition for other positions. For a kid to commit this early, they have to have their minds made up or that is the school they wanted all along. Coaches changing staffs, getting fired, etc or course can change everything. I don't know if anyone has any hard data on that.

Recruiting is getting earlier and earlier. Right now fans are focused on how LSU is going to close out the 2019 class, but most of what the coaches are doing right now has to do with the 2020 and 2021 class. You have to establish the relationship earlier and earlier now. Wins and losses have much less to do with it.

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think Max Johnson is a huge get. Kid can make all of the throws and is still getting bigger, stronger, and smarter.

But to me, LSU has to somewhat change its mindset a bit to take full advantage of a player like Johnson or even Burrow (presently). The Tigers are to conservative with play calling...especially the pass game. We have to do more of the A&M overtime offense. Take jump ball chances. Let our WRs make plays. Don't be so damn scared of a turnover. I get limiting turnovers are important, but they should not cause you to go into a shell when calling plays. It was a pet peeve of mine during the Miles regime and has overflowed to this staff. Take a look at the Bama/Georgia game.....a pocket QB can be sucessful against Bama, but the throws have to be perfect and you have to take some chances.

OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
Weeelll... I think Burrow did throw up some jump balls, but they WRs dropped too many. As long as he is throwing them where the defender can't get them, I'm good. Unless your Brees, Brady or Rogers, you should NOT be throwing the ball up for grabs. Turnovers matter, especially for an offense that has difficulty scoring. I do think we saw a different offense when Brennan was healthy vs when Brennan was hurt. This led to the more conservative play calls and less Burrow running because you don't want to see Andre Sale taking snaps. If the danger to run is there, this is a different offense.

Under Miles, what I think fans failed to acknowledge was the personnel. What we want is production, but if the personnel isn't capable then you're going to have to be more conservative and play to your strengths. Just taking shots and playing outside what your personnel can handle is going to amount to a lot of losses for LSU and not close ones. If your QB doesn't possess inhuman accuracy, you're not going to win a lot of games by taking chances.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SaintLuke COUNTDOWN 2020 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (6-4-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (6-3-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (6-2-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (6-1-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Deonte Harris hoping to help his team even more in 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-31-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-30-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
3 Saints players whose 2020 season will be a make-or-break campaign Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-29-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Poll If the Saints fail to get to the Super Bowl in 2020, what should the next plan of action be? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 53
Fleur-de-Links, May 29: Former Saint signs with division rival and plans for Superdome capacity in 2020 season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ndcc Saints Dennis Allen: Where can Saints defense improve in 2020? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 28
NFL announces new playing rules and bylaws for 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Numbskull 2020 Saints Tickets for Sale. 4 seats together. Section 618 Row 34 Ticket Exchange 0
David West and Derrick Favors on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - May 28, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-28-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints announce dates, times for 2020 preseason schedule SR News Page Articles 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-27-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
superchuck500 2020 Hurricane Season is upon us Everything Else Board 20
Saints have 3rd-best chance for Super Bowl win in 2020 season, ESPN says; see win projection, more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette This Saints Player is a Surprise Breakout Candidate for 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-26-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Unveiling our projections for the 2020 NFL season: Wins, Super Bowl chances, more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette ESPN's Bill Barnwell ranks Saints with a top-10 2020 NFL offseason SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette NFC South Report: Can the Falcons dethrone the Saints in 2020? SR News Page Articles 0
2020 Saints Season Tickets for Sale Plaza Sec 104 Ticket Exchange 0
Why Won't Jared Cook be a Top 2 TE in 2020? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Nightshade Saints 2020 Saints UDFA class graded one of the NFL's strongest Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 11
5 best running backs Saints will face in 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-25-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
BelowZero 2020 Season Wallpaper(s) Wallpapers 0
Saints Podcast Round-Up, May 24th, 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (5-24-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
El Caliente What thread does this go in? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
ndcc Separate thread on the HOT topic with Drew's comments on flag & national anthem Everything Else Board 8
Tony1Saintfan N/S Just a question. Can we post any Bob Menery stuff on any thread on here? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9