2020 LSU Recruiting Thread (1 Viewer)

2020 Lancaster (Tex.) defensive back Lorando Johnson committed to LSU, he announced on Twitter on Wednesday.
The 6-0, 181-pound defensive back that ranks as the No. 150 overall prospect in the country could be versatile enough to play nickel for LSU and that's where he could slide in in Dave Aranda's defense. On the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Johnson ranks as the No. 11 cornerback and No. 18 overall prospect in Texas.
https://247sports.com/college/lsu/A...KbNBo6_yQ1u7d1Udcn6chIl7x8YS_9rZfSlvGSQfNdl34

2020 isn't a top class in Louisiana, but it's a deep class in terms of quality. Four kids have given verbals as of the start of this thread. Outside of that, I haven't kept up with it much. I'll try and dig up the expected position breakdown of this class when I can.

LSU Commits | Louisiana State Rankings

Current Commits
  1. Darin Turner, WR (Memphis, TN)
  2. Jaquelin Roy, DT (Baton Rouge, LA)
  3. TJ Finley, QB (Ponchatoula, LA)
  4. Kris Abrams-Draine, WR (Spanish Fort, AL)
  5. Kayshon Boutte, WR (New Iberia, LA)
  6. Courtland Ford, OT (Cedar Hill, TX)
  7. Max Johnson, QB (Watkinsville, GA)
  8. CamRon Jackson, DT (Haynesville, LA)
A couple notes about players who have decommitted: Turner and Abrams-Draine are players that the staff feels can upgraded. LSU eased back the contact on both of them, but I am sure could get right back in it if they chose. It doesn't sound like either kid is bitter. There is never a shortage of WRs in Louisiana and now LSU is getting legit interest from some very good Cali talent. Koy Moore from Rummell has always been a top target. The new name on the list is Jermaine Burton from Calabasas, CA who is a very high 4-star. He is expected to commit soon and has recently said that LSU is at the top of the list.

DT Jaquelin Roy is a must-get. Although he has decommitted, he has been at LSU practices and scrimmages all Spring. He does have easy access from U-High, but it's good to see him still involved. The idea of another 3-4 years on the LSU campus could work against LSU, though. Still LSU is very much in it and a lot of people feel he will eventually wind up a Tiger.

CamRon Jackson is a good DE/DT prospect, but there are many who feel he ends up at OT. He certainly is built like a LT, but his primary recruiters are defensive coaches and I am not sure how he feels about it.

Right now, here is where LSU stands with the #3 class in the country:

1. TJ Finley, QB (Ponchatoula, LA)
  2. Kayshon Boutte, WR (New Iberia, LA )
  3. Courtland Ford, OT (Cedar Hill, TX)
  4. Max Johnson, QB (Watkinsville, GA)
  5. CamRon Jackson, DT (Haynesville, LA)
  6. Elias Ricks, CB (Santa Ana, CA)
  7. Jordan Berry, DT (Harbor City, CA)
  8. Alec Bryant, DE (Pearland, TX)
  9. Demon Clowney, DE (Baltimore, MD)
  10. Jaden Navarrette, OLB (Norco, CA)
  11. Lorando Johnson, CB (Lancaster, TX)
TJ Finley is going to take an official visit to Kansas. There is some concern among fans I think. LSU is still drawing interest from higher ranked QBs (DJ Uiagalelei, Haynes King) but I think TJ is still all LSU. He is with the team every chance he gets and whenever you hear his talk about his recruiting, he is referring to LSU as "we" and "us" and lists off the name of kids he's trying to convince to come to LSU. He seems to have positioned himself as the leader of this class, like Kardell Thomas last season.

At RB, Zachary Evans is the goal. It's coming down to a TAMU v UT race, but LSU is right behind them. Cali RB Kendall Milton is the next big prize after that with friendly ties to Elias Ricks. In-state, Warren Easton RB Ashaad Clayton is the top player in the state who is a heavy LSU lean. I think LSU would ultimately love to walk away from Milton and Clayton when this is all said and done. Jordon Ingram is classified as an athlete, but everything reads that he's going to play RB. The recruiting siytes have him leaning to LSU at the moment, but I haven;t heard or read much to support it.

At TE, LSU is chasing Clay Caudill and Jonathan Odom hard. Both of them are tall, long athletic players at the position. Both seem to be leaning to other schools, but have recently been quoted as having very favorable visits to LSU. Right now they seem to be the names with the most circulation within LSU recruiting circles.

At O-Line, 6-7, 353 lb OT Brady Ward is a big man with family ties to LSU. His father Brian Ward is a former LSU OT. Ward, currently living in Mobile seems to be leaning towards Alabama right now. He's had an offer at LSU since before Cregg. OG Miller Merriweather-Lewis has made several visits to LSU, but seems to be keeping things low key outside of that. I'm not sure if he has connections to LSU or Louisiana, but he seems to be all in for LSU right now on the recruiting sites. I think he's playing OT right now, but the recruiting services mostly likes him at OG. (No word if he plans to join his best friend, Billy Clark for a trip out West. ;)) OG Cesar Reyes is high on LSU. I found an article listing him as attending the Auburn/LSU game last season in Auburn along with 2020 LSU targets Koy Moore, McKinley Jackson, Demouy Kennedy and Haynes King. Marlon Martinez is another name to listen for at OG. He's a little light on the stars, but holds offers to tOSU, Penn State and Auburn.

DT is a big focus for this class, like last class. The staff needs to hit on prospects this time, however. One of the biggest is McKinley Jackson who committed to LSU as a sophomore. He backed off, buyt Orgeron has made the impression and LSU is squarely in the mix. He's showing a lean to LSU on the recruiting sites, but it's really anyone's guess since he's been pretty low key. He's a monster and a should contribute immediately at LSU. NT Jacobian Guillory is the name many expect to fall for LSU as a matter of formality. Alex Huntley from SC, Branard Wright from Carter in Dallas (Jerrell Cherry's alma mater), Angelo Anderson from John Curtis, Denver Warren from the Chicago area (previously committed to Michigan) and Princely Umanmielen are the other names at DL that I keep hearing about.

At LB, Justin Flowe is the big target. The California product has been declared a SC lean, but after a recent visit to LSU Aranda and Orgeron made quite the impression. Everyone is after him, including Bama, Texas, Clemson, tOSU, etc so it's just a good sign that LSU is in the mix here. I like LSU's chances vs anyone else right now with Aranda being able to point at Devin White in a few weeks when he's a top 10 pick. Another big name is longtime OU commit, Drew Sanders, the son of a HS Coach He recently visited LSU and reportedly came away highly impressed with Aranda and the staff. Like Navarrette, Sanders is talented enough to play WR in HS.

The other names that are surfacing right now at LBer are Demouy Kennedy (a former Auburn commit), Prince Dorbah from Highland Park in Dallas, Justin Houston (another Cali kid) and Cameron Riley from Evergreen, AL. Aranda in just a few short years has taken LSU from a place that had more special teams player than LBers to the place where LBers go to be developed. There are going to be some very good players at LB that LSU will have to turn away this year.

For the secondary, I don't expect LSU to sign many CBs after signing 5 last class. You still have kids like Dwight McGlothern, Jahari Rogers and Major Burns who have interest, but no room in this class like LBers. Lathan Ransom is the biggest name on the list at Safety, but is considered a lean to tOSU. Jordan Toles is one of the kids from Maryland that LSU offered that is an LSU lean. Xavion Alford is trending to LSU hard after LSU commit Alec Bryant all but declared that he's dragging Xavion with him to LSU. Further down the list you have guys like Jerrin Thompson from Lufkin who remain on the list for interest and Bud Clark, teammate of Jacobian Guillory from the school that produced DJ Chark.

I'm sure I missed something, but that's all I could find since the last recruiting update. This should be a good class for LSU with the unusual makeup of mostly kids from outside of Louisiana.

ILB Josh White and WR Jermaine Burton are both set to make announcements tomorrow. LSU is in good shape with both and would have the #1 class if both committed.

WDE, Jaden Navarrette commits to Oregon.

ILB, Josh White commits to LSU.

5-star WR Rakim Jarrett will be in BR this weekend, too. He recently had an interesting comment to Jermain Burton after he committed to LSU:

5-star WR Rakim Jarrett will be in BR this weekend, too. He recently had an interesting comment to Jermain Burton after he committed to LSU:

As of now, I expect him to end up in LSU's class as our last WR.

As of now, I expect him to end up in LSU's class as our last WR.
That's the rumor, but we will have ti wait and see if he sticks. Burton sounds pretty solid. Koy Moore is still floating out there still. Even with locking down three ridiculously talented receivers, they still need to keep him on the hook.

Boom!

LSU is doing to WRs this year what they did to RBs last year. Right now they have the #2, #5 and #8 guys committed. They're almost certainly done at the position right now, but that's not my final answer.

Last edited:
Hard not to get excited about the speed, explosiveness and ability after the catch to go with the big WR's from last season. It's hard to imagine a scenario where LSU can't line up 3 wide and scare the shirts off any defense we play.

With that said, if we don't improve the line on the offensive and defensive side of the ball it's still going to be tough going in the SEC West. I like our pass rushers but really want to see us solidify the offensive line and interior defensive line. Everywhere else LSU is looking really promising.

It's really exciting knowing we should peak with this talent at WR, RB and QB at the same time too. I have full confidence the defense will be good no matter what the next few years, they are a couple DT away from being absolutely dominant though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom