2020 LSU Recruiting Thread (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
2020 isn't a top class in Louisiana, but it's a deep class in terms of quality. Four kids have given verbals as of the start of this thread. Outside of that, I haven't kept up with it much. I'll try and dig up the expected position breakdown of this class when I can.

LSU Commits | Louisiana State Rankings

Current Commits
  1. Arik Gilbert, TE (Marietta, GA)
  2. Elias Ricks, CB (Bradenton, FL)
  3. Rakim Jarrett, WR (Washington, DC)
  4. Jermaine Burton, WR (Calabasas, CA)
  5. Jaquelin Roy, DT (Baton Rouge, LA)
  6. Kayshon Boutte, WR (New Iberia, LA)
  7. Antoine Sampah, ILB (Woodbridge, VA)
  8. Jordan Toles, S (Baltimore, MD)
  9. Major Burns, CB (Baton Rouge, LA)
  10. Demon Clowney, DE (Baltimore, MD)
  11. Josh White, ILB (Houston, TX)
  12. Max Johnson, QB (Watkinsville, GA)
  13. Lorando Johnson, CB (Lancaster, TX)
  14. Alec Bryant, DE (Pearland, TX)
  15. Koy Moore, WR (Metairie, LA)
  16. Eric Taylor, DT (Trussville, AL)
  17. Jalen Lee, DT (Watson, LA)
  18. TJ Finley, QB (Ponchatoula, LA)
  19. Kole Taylor, TE (Grand Junction, CO)
  20. CamRon Johnson, DT (Haynesville, LA)
  21. Marlon Martinez, OG (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
  22. Ali Gaye, DE (Edmonds, WA)
  23. Malcolm Greene, S (Highland Springs, VA)
  24. BJ Ojulari, DE (Marietta, GA)

Last edited:
Current Targets
Kayshon Boutte, WR (New Iberia, LA)
Jacobian Guillory, DT (Alexandria, LA)
Ashaad Clayton, RB (New Orleans, LA)
Jalen Cook, WR (Walker, LA)
CamRon Jackson, DT (Haynesville, LA)
Jakhi Douglas, WR (Houma, LA)
Eric Reed, ATH (Shreveport, LA)
Sedrick Van Pran, LB (New Orleans, LA)
Trenton Grow, WR (Edgard, LA)
Dustin Dyson, TE (Hammond, LA)
Zachary Evans, RB (Houston, TX)
Kimani Vidal, RB (Marietta, GA)
Jalen McMillan, WR (Fresno, CA)
Bryn Tucker, OT (Knoxville, TN)
Chris Morris, OT (Memphis, TN)
Marcus Dumervil, OT (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Jason Eaton, OT (Clarksville, TN)
Brady Ward, OT (Mobile, AL)
Justin Rogers, OG (Oak Park, MI)
Will Jones, C (Humble, TX)
Jalen Reeves, DE (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Johnnie Brown, DT (Tampa, FL)
Eric Taylor, DT (Trussville, AL)
Jayion McCluster, ILB (Largo, FL)
Martavius French, ILB (Memphis, TN)
Ethan West, ILB (Midlothian, VA)
Kevin Swint, OLB (Carrollton, GA)
Damian Sellers, OLB (Scottsdale, AZ)
Dwight McGlothern, CB (Cedar Hill, TX)
Bud Clark, CB (Alexandria, LA)
Junior Summerhill, S (Florence, AL)
Chris Thompson Jr., S (Duncanville, TX
Ja'Quinden Jackson, ATH (Duncanville, TX)
DJ Graham, ATH (Keller, TX)
Dawson Ellington, ATH (Marietta, GA)
Adam Chaney, ATH (Saraland, AL)

Last edited:
Kayshon Boutte, the #1 recruit in Louisiana for the 2020 class has committed to LSU. Expect to start seeing these wins in 2018 start to pay off in the 2020 class.

Courtland Ford, a 4-star OT thought to be a slight Bama lean has committed to LSU. He was at the Bama game for an unofficial visit. The #2 OT in Texas, the #23 OT and #166 overall recruit in the country. He holds offers from Bama, UGA, TCU, Oregon, Ole Miss, TAMU and lesser programs.

Ford is part of the same group as Jerrel Cherry last season. This weekend Kardell Thomas was in his ear. Orgeron's "we need to recruit better players" remark after the Bama game paid off here...

Last edited:
Elias Ricks is the Derek Stingley for 2020 out of Santa Ana, CA. He has made unofficial visits to LSU already and is on the record as saying they're one of a definite 3 to get official visits next season. This season he has six pick-6s (two called back for penalties) and is the best CB on the West Coast. probably a heavy lean to USC due to location and family ties. LSU is in the hunt and he has said that location won't be a factor in his decision.

BOOM!

QB Max Johnson (6-4, 215) has verbally committed to LSU. Max is the son of former NFL QB, Brad Johnson. He let tOSU and Alabama know a few months back that he was not considering them. FSU was eliminated a while back when they hired Taggert (Dad was a Seminole; Taggert offense doesn't appeal to Max) and Miami was a strong consideration (Uncle Mark Richt was a powerful selling point). He picked LSU out of UGA, Wisconsin, Miami and UNC. Word is that the left-handed thrower benefits from his father's gifts and knowledge like most kids of NFL QBs normally would. If this holds out to signing day, Max would be the highest ranked QB to sign with LSU since Russel Shepard. He is listed as a Pro Style QB, but he plays basketball and allegedly has good mobility. Not only is this a huge get for LSU, this strikes a serious blow to UGA who had marked Johnson as a priority right in their backyard (literally, he lives about 15-20 mins from the UGA campus).

We always talk about getting that one QB who commits to LSU that is the one to turn things around. The early read in recruiting is that this could be the guy that starts that run. This could definitely be the kind of QB who sends up signals to other recruits and starts attracting the best talent in a class.

No idea right now where this leaves TJ Finley. He has gifts, but you don't turn away a kid like Max. I'm sure the coaches would love to keep TJ around because he needs some work anyway. Also, I don't know if this had anything to do with Max's recruitment, but IIRC Sean Salisbury played with his dad on the Vikings. There has been plenty of smoke regarding Sean joining the LSU staff.

Lo

On the surface, this makes no sense at all so I have to believe that there’s something below the surface. The salisbury rumor rings clearly so maybe that’s it.

I watched the highlights for him. So you're telling me that he's got another year to grow and develop? Heck, I'd take him now, so I can't wait to see what he does with another year of experience. This is a big commit.

Got a question how many High School Juniors who declare/commit actually end up going through with it??

Got a question how many High School Juniors who declare/commit actually end up going through with it??
Well, at QB a pretty high rate. I think it's at worst a 50/50 proposition for other positions. For a kid to commit this early, they have to have their minds made up or that is the school they wanted all along. Coaches changing staffs, getting fired, etc or course can change everything. I don't know if anyone has any hard data on that.

Recruiting is getting earlier and earlier. Right now fans are focused on how LSU is going to close out the 2019 class, but most of what the coaches are doing right now has to do with the 2020 and 2021 class. You have to establish the relationship earlier and earlier now. Wins and losses have much less to do with it.

I think Max Johnson is a huge get. Kid can make all of the throws and is still getting bigger, stronger, and smarter.

But to me, LSU has to somewhat change its mindset a bit to take full advantage of a player like Johnson or even Burrow (presently). The Tigers are to conservative with play calling...especially the pass game. We have to do more of the A&M overtime offense. Take jump ball chances. Let our WRs make plays. Don't be so damn scared of a turnover. I get limiting turnovers are important, but they should not cause you to go into a shell when calling plays. It was a pet peeve of mine during the Miles regime and has overflowed to this staff. Take a look at the Bama/Georgia game.....a pocket QB can be sucessful against Bama, but the throws have to be perfect and you have to take some chances.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom