NFL Draft 2020 NFL Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

The traditional 2 down, downhill thumper Linebackers that come in at 240-45 lbs. are becoming extinct.

The league is shifting towards athletic Linebackers that might fit more of the SS physical build, but being able to chase plays down to the sideline and being capable of dropping into coverage are a must with the way the game is evolving.

Isaiah Simmons is going to be the future of what teams look for from the Linebacking position. Passing is King in the modern day NFL and you need the speed and athletism to cover the edges against the Shanahan/Kubiak style schemes that stress the edges with all the boot actions.

Dre Greenlaw is the perfect example he's 5-11 and only 225 coming out of Arkansas and only went in the 5th round but turned out to be one of the most valuable Linebackers taken in last year's draft from a team value perspective. Deion Jones was undersized too but has translated into one of the best pure Coverage Mike backers in the NFL.
Everything is too scheme-dependent to make sweeping statements like that.

The 260lb Donta Hightowers of the world can still find a role as a downhill strongside guy inside of a 3-4 Just like Vaughn Johnson could back in the day.

Im a big fan of Jordan Love and have watched a ton him over the last two seasons. He, and the entire Utah St. team as a whole, def fell off the cliff this year and a lot of Love's negatives showed up in almost every single game. Like every dude coming out, he's a work in progress, but Love clearly has the skills to evolve into a franchise QB.

That being said, I'm on here to hype Love's teammate OLB/EDGE/DE/DEFENSIVE WEAPON Tipa Galeai. This dude is pure chaos. It's clear that we love hybrid players (Taysom, Chauncey, Elliss) and Tipa is that exact type of talent. He lines up everywhere, DE, OLB, ILB SLOT, and his purpose is cause mayhem and log splash plays. I think Tipa is one of the most explosive seek and destroy players in this draft. He's 6'5 240 and when we sees the ball, that dude turns into a human heat seeking missile. Tipa has been used primarily as a pressure player, but I think he's a Rush LB/DEFENSIVE WEAPON in the pros. This dude is one of my 2020 draft darlings. I would absolutely love to see Tipa Galeai in Black and Gold come draft weekend.

But how long are his arms, lol.

Looks intriguing though I would like to see more power and an inside Counter Move.

Some pass rush names I have written down and ranked so far are.

DE

Terrell Lewis
Josh Uche
Steven Tuzska
Alex Highsmith
Bradlee Anae
Alton Robinson
Deonte Holden (Dominated Collegiate bowl)

Delonte Scott (35" Arms) 10 sacks
Trevon McSwain ( 35" Arms 285lbs) 3-4 5tech

Chauncey Rivers DE (sack in Collegiate bowl)

DT
Damien Hamilton
McTelvin Agiem
Tiar Tartt
Garrett Marino

We will see what happens in Free Agency. If we lose Klein and Alonso. We will probability sign a free agent. We still have Chase Hansen, Alex Anzalone, Kaden Elliss, Colton Jumper, Josh Martin, Andrew Dowell. Think if we draft one it will be between 3-6 round.
Give me Uche first.

He has a low floor and high ceiling and is versatile and powerful.

Even if he flops as a pass rusher, which is unlikely he can still make for a very good linebacker.

After that flip a coin between Weaver and Bradley because I love them both.

Murray will like cost a 2nd rounder and will be too rich for our blood.

Pinkney looks like a starting olb from day 1.

Y’all don’t have a need at RB but watch this video...and imagine him in Ingtam’s role. This dude is one of my favorites

More Lagarette Blount than Ingram.

Dobbins remins me more of Ingram.

Everything is too scheme-dependent to make sweeping statements like that.

The 260lb Donta Hightowers of the world can still find a role as a downhill strongside guy inside of a 3-4 Just like Vaughn Johnson could back in the day.
I don't think it's too farfetched of a statement considering recent trends, how the game has changed in the last 20 or so years and taking an educated guess at where it's going In the near future.

How many NFL teams currently even run a true 3-4 Defense with a massive space eating 0 - tech and Two 5 - techs that predominantly two gap with two bigger downhill Inside backers who are expected to take on blocks in between the tackles?

1-2? Belichick still runs that scheme for the most part, I guess Crennel did in Houston but their front personnel is expected to change up a bit next season.

These odd front teams are going towards the way of a Wink Martindale, or modern day Gregg Williams style fronts.. the chaotic, versatile fronts where you have Defenders lining up all over the place, in different stances on any given play to better disguise looks and confuse Offenses.

I guess to a less extreme degree Yes guys like Donta Hightower still have their place on some teams, but that style of Linebacker is becoming ever more so 'less useful' in today's NFL. If you're strictly a 2 down player in today's game, can only play in one direction, and are a liability on Passing downs... you just can't justify spending a Day 1 pick on a player like that. That's why it is my belief every year you are going to start seeing the bigger 'thumper' style Linebackers from college go later, and later in the Draft. 5th, 6th, 7th rounds. The way of the future for Linebacker proto-types are the Deion Jones, Darius Leonard, Devin White, Kwon Alexander, Telvin Smith, Roquan Smith... type of players.

Last edited:
If the linebacker position was as simple as getting a fast athlete that can cover and run, just find a rangy safety and make the positional conversion. It’s not that simple. The NFL is about innovation and exploitation and as soon as you see a commitment to 220 pound LBs, you’ll see the 49ers throw the ball 8 times and rush for 350 yards a game.

Shaq Quarterman reminds me so much of Demario Davis.

Any small school guys you all are looking at outside of Duggar? I like Chinn. Also really high on Alex Highsmith. His get off is incredible.

Dane Brugler (@dpbrugler) Tweeted:
Clemson's Jackson Carman is one of CFB's top up-and-coming left tackles. And he wasn't shy in his praise for #Charlotte EDGE Alex Highsmith.

“I’ve been playing football for 12 years and he’s by far the fastest off the ball I’ve ever gone against. Ever.”

Any small school guys you all are looking at outside of Duggar? I like Chinn. Also really high on Alex Highsmith. His get off is incredible.
I like Akeem Davis-Gaither from Appalachian State, one of the more athletic Linebacker prospects in this draft.

Tight Ends I like Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic, and Adam Trautman from Dayton.

Like Chinn as well, I think he could be like a 'Vonn Bell' box safety type, but with more coverage ability and the versatility to match up in the slot some.

Low key kinda like Kindle Vildor from Georgia Southern, he held up pretty well in coverage at the Senior Bowl. If he's around in the late rounds might be worth a flyer.

I’ve spent the weekend watching QBs.. I wanted to do a top 10 QB thread, but being perfectly honest I don’t think there are 10 QBs worthy of being drafted in this class. It’s not necessarily a “bad” class because I think 5 guys could end up being NFL starters. But it’s shallow and the developmental talent is lacking. My top 8 (the 8 I’d see as draft-worthy are:

1. Joe Burrow
2. Tua Tagovailoa
3. Justin Herbert
4. Jake Fromm
5. Cole McDonald
6. Jacob Eason
7. Jordan Love
8. Shea Patterson

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom