2020 NFL Draft Quarterback options (1 Viewer)

Updated rankings 4/3/20 BPA @ QB

Here's the Draftek top 10, as of today:

downarrow_hp.gif

Joe Burrow
LSU

6'3"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+3

Tua Tagovailoa
Alabama

6'0"

JR

BIO

downarrow_hp.gif

Justin Herbert
Oregon

6'6"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+9

Jordan Love
Utah State

6'4"

JR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+33

Jacob Eason
Washington

6'6"

JR

BIO

downarrow_hp.gif

Jake Fromm
Georgia

6'2"

JR

BIO

downarrow_hp.gif

Jalen Hurts
Oklahoma

6'2"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+10

Anthony Gordon
Washington State

6'3"

RSR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+45

Nate Stanley
Iowa

6'4"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+130

Cole McDonald
Hawaii

6'4"

JR

BIO

Here's the Draftek top 10, as of today:

downarrow_hp.gif

Joe Burrow
LSU

6'3"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+3

Tua Tagovailoa
Alabama

6'0"

JR

BIO

downarrow_hp.gif

Justin Herbert
Oregon

6'6"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+9

Jordan Love
Utah State

6'4"

JR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+33

Jacob Eason
Washington

6'6"

JR

BIO

downarrow_hp.gif

Jake Fromm
Georgia

6'2"

JR

BIO

downarrow_hp.gif

Jalen Hurts
Oklahoma

6'2"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+10

Anthony Gordon
Washington State

6'3"

RSR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+45

Nate Stanley
Iowa

6'4"

SR

BIO

uparrow_hp.gif
+130

Cole McDonald
Hawaii

6'4"

JR

BIO
I want Eason or Gordon.

I tried to like Love but I just can't.

Besides a big arm I just don't see it.

At most I see a guy like Jeff Blake.

Gordon had a slightly higher qb rating and completion% in a similar air raid sytem as Patrick Mahomes did his senior year.

I want Eason or Gordon.

I tried to like Love but I just can't.

Besides a big arm I just don't see it.

At most I see a guy like Jeff Blake.

Gordon had a slightly higher qb rating and completion% in a similar air raid sytem as Patrick Mahomes did his senior year.

I suspect Gordon is on as many Scouts' radars as Love.

I suspect Gordon is on as many Scouts' radars as Love.
I hope so.

Other than Burrow or Tua there isn't a qb in this class that I would trust to take over for Brees as a Rookie than Gordon.

After Tua or Burrow I'm out on the QB's this year.

Only exception is Gordon he's the only guy I would be happy with taking in the 3rd or even moving up into the 2nd to jump another team if there is Intel that he is going to be taken there.

He's the only one in the cluster After the top two guys that displays consistent down, to down accuracy on just about every throw. He's hitting Crossers in stride giving the receiver the ability to run after the catch, he's putting passes on the correct shoulder opposite the near Defender.

If there's one trait that's essential to succeed in Payton's system it's Accuracy and Ball Location and you see that with Gordon, he also shows a good sense of timing and anticipation on a lot of throws he's releasing the Football while his receivers are still breaking from their routes.

A lot of his negatives IMO will be easily fixed with NFL Coaching the Air Raid is a gimmicky system that forced him into staring down receivers because the Reads are based off Option routes for the receivers in that system so he has to read what one particular receiver is going on a play all the way through. In the NFL he will be taught to look off coverages, and manipulate Safeties more.

A lot of his negatives IMO will be easily fixed with NFL Coaching the Air Raid is a gimmicky system that forced him into staring down receiver because the Reads are based off Option routes for the receivers in that system so he has to read what one particular receiver is going on a play. In the NFL he will be taught to look off coverages, and manipulate Safeties more.

I was going to ask if he was a fast processor, able to pick out his 2nd and 3rd receivers quickly. Then you answered it for me.

I was going to ask if he was a fast processor, able to pick out his 2nd and 3rd receivers quickly. Then you answered it for me.
Well that's not because he can't it's because that's not what he was asked to do in College.

In Mike Leaches Air raid system the QB reads the primary receiver all the way through his route because the #1 always has an option route and can basically "free flow" based on the feel of the coverage, the QB has to read off the receiver if he doesn't there's no telling where he might be, and would lead to them not being on the same page.

It's basically Read #1's option route, to Checkdown. (Which is almost always a shallow Crossing route, Air Raid systems run multiple shallow crossing routes on almost every play)

That's more of a Flaw on the system than him IMO, in the Senior Bowl he showed good ability to go through progressions and read out plays from 1,2,3 and threw 2 Touchdowns in the Senior Bowl game by patiently waiting plays out.

I can't say that Im out after the top 3 because I really love a lot of these guys but I don't feel like they wouldn't all necessarily work in the Saints system right away or at all.

Jalen Hurts
Bryce Perkins
Khalil Tate
Tyler Huntley

Are all prototypes for what the league is trending towards with athletic zone-read qbs or qbs who can extend plays with their feet. This might not be perfect for N.O. but it might be for other places around the league.

Im convinced that

Eason
Gordon
Fine
Perkins
Lewerke
Luton

Are all good fits mechanics-wise for N.O.

I think that some good pro comparisons are:

Eason----Matthew Stafford
Gordon---Drew Lock
Fine-------Doug Flutie
Perkins---Ryan Tannehill
Lewerke---Dwane Haskins
Luton------Daniel Jones

That's more of a Flaw on the system than him IMO, in the Senior Bowl he showed good ability to go through progressions and read out plays from 1,2,3 and threw 2 Touchdowns in the Senior Bowl game by patiently waiting plays out.

So the air raid gives the primary receiver major route options the QB has to keep tabs on. Sounds like it could waste the talents of a good QB.

After Tua or Burrow I'm out on the QB's this year.

Only exception is Gordon he's the only guy I would be happy with taking in the 3rd or even moving up into the 2nd to jump another team if there is Intel that he is going to be taken there.

He's the only one in the cluster After the top two guys that displays consistent down, to down accuracy on just about every throw. He's hitting Crossers in stride giving the receiver the ability to run after the catch, he's putting passes on the correct shoulder opposite the near Defender.

If there's one trait that's essential to succeed in Payton's system it's Accuracy and Ball Location and you see that with Gordon, he also shows a good sense of timing and anticipation on a lot of throws he's releasing the Football while his receivers are still breaking from their routes.

A lot of his negatives IMO will be easily fixed with NFL Coaching the Air Raid is a gimmicky system that forced him into staring down receivers because the Reads are based off Option routes for the receivers in that system so he has to read what one particular receiver is going on a play all the way through. In the NFL he will be taught to look off coverages, and manipulate Safeties more.
I agree with not taking a QB early if it is not Burrow or Tua. With what Payton has said about Taysom getting the #2 spot then they need to get one of he experienced veterans for the #3 spot because they will need that experience if Taysom has to take over the #1 spot for any stretch of time. With this said, using a draft pick on a #3 QB and future backup QB does not make much sense.

However, if a team snatches Taysom then all bets are off. One point that I keep going back to though is that Payton has drafted and brought in several QB's over the years and none have turned out to be serviceable not just for the saints but for any team in the NFL. The saints never had that QB on the bench that other teams coveted like the Patriots or GB have had.

Well that's not because he can't it's because that's not what he was asked to do in College.

In Mike Leaches Air raid system the QB reads the primary receiver all the way through his route because the #1 always has an option route and can basically "free flow" based on the feel of the coverage, the QB has to read off the receiver if he doesn't there's no telling where he might be, and would lead to them not being on the same page.

It's basically Read #1's option route, to Checkdown. (Which is almost always a shallow Crossing route, Air Raid systems run multiple shallow crossing routes on almost every play)

That sounds like a system that develops a QB with bad habits. Brees success comes from trusting his reads early and getting the ball out to where the receiver is supposed to be. It is that confidence and trust in his reads that makes Brees so good and that would be hard for a QB that is trained to watch and wait for a play to develop to ever grasp. The growing pains would be unbearable in an NFL environment where the QB is almost expected to be all pro for a team be successful.

So the air raid gives the primary receiver major route options the QB has to keep tabs on. Sounds like it could waste the talents of a good QB.
Yes it's very gimmicky, and there's a reason you don't see it in the NFL .( Aside from the constant strain on your O-line running exclusively 4 WR sets out of gun asking them to hold up in 5-0 pass protection constantly)

I posted a film review of Gordon done by JT O'Sullivan on the 1st page of this thread there's a play on there that shows just how wonky the Air Raid can be on evaluating QBs there was a play down in the Red Zone where both Inside receivers had option routes, and they both chose to run crossing routes basically right into each other basically bringing Defenders right into them and covering themselves. Frustrating play, Gordon had no where to go to and just had to throw it away.

(edit: Play I'm referencing is in the 8:25 timestamp of the video in post #5)

I agree with not taking a QB early if it is not Burrow or Tua. With what Payton has said about Taysom getting the #2 spot then they need to get one of he experienced veterans for the #3 spot because they will need that experience if Taysom has to take over the #1 spot for any stretch of time. With this said, using a draft pick on a #3 QB and future backup QB does not make much sense.

However, if a team snatches Taysom then all bets are off. One point that I keep going back to though is that Payton has drafted and brought in several QB's over the years and none have turned out to be serviceable not just for the saints but for any team in the NFL. The saints never had that QB on the bench that other teams coveted like the Patriots or GB have had.
I'm generally in agreement with you, If we're not getting a High floor, Pro-Ready Heir apparent I don't see the point in taking a QB early this year while they are trying to squeeze everything out of this Brees window. (1 possibly 2 years)

I think it's much more logical to just stack the roster at the weak depth positions (LB, CB, WR, Interior OL) as much as possible to give us the best possible chance at making a Super Bowl run, and insure against injury scenarios for this season; and just wait on committing to a new QB once Brees retires for certain; and sign a veteran guy who's been in the league as your 3rd guy for this season.

Yes it's very gimmicky, and there's a reason you don't see it in the NFL .( Aside from the constant strain on your O-line running exclusively 4 WR sets out of gun asking them to hold up in 5-0 pass protection constantly)

I posted a film review of Gordon done by JT O'Sullivan on the 1st page of this thread there's a play on there that shows just how wonky the Air Raid can be on evaluating QBs there was a play down in the Red Zone where both Inside receivers had option routes, and they both chose to run crossing routes basically right into each other basically bringing Defenders right into them and covering themselves. Frustrating play, Gordon had no where to go to and just had to throw it away.

(edit: Play I'm referencing is in the 8:25 timestamp of the video in post #5)

I'm generally in agreement with you, If we're not getting a High floor, Pro-Ready Heir apparent I don't see the point in taking a QB early this year while they are trying to squeeze everything out of this Brees window. (1 possibly 2 years)

I think it's much more logical to just stack the roster at the weak depth positions (LB, CB, WR, Interior OL) as much as possible to give us the best possible chance at making a Super Bowl run, and insure against injury scenarios for this season; and just wait on committing to a new QB once Brees retires for certain; and sign a veteran guy who's been in the league as your 3rd guy for this season.

History agrees with you regarding the Saints signing a vet to back up Brees this year versus drafting a QB.

Payton has only drafted two QBs, with one of those in the 7th round. Brees' backups have been Jamie Martin, Brunell, McCown, Daniels, and Teddy B, all vets when they signed.

History agrees with you regarding the Saints signing a vet to back up Brees this year versus drafting a QB.

Payton has only drafted two QBs, with one of those in the 7th round. Brees' backups have been Jamie Martin, Brunell, McCown, Daniels, and Teddy B, all vets when they signed.
Brees has never been this close to retirement either.

I would imagine that the Smart money is to at least bring in a capable player with starting potential to compete with Taysom.

Not too many affordable ones of those on the market.

For my Part:

Gordon in rd 3 or Lewerke in Rd 5.

Championship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom