2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad (1 Viewer)

Gentilly504

Practice Squad
Reaction score
With the 2009 team, you had a feeling they could go 16-0( went 13-0). Do you have a feeling this team can go 16-0? I think after a few more games, we will see if this Saints team legit as 2009. On paper I think this defense is better than 2009.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
"Something just felt different about the energy from the defense", one person told me. This particular individual is not prone to hyperbole either, so that's why it stood out to me.

Maybe for truly the first time, they unquestionably understand that they are on the verge of being something special as a defense. We need to send Ronnie Lott over there to see if he smells any greatness. From an appropriate social distance, of course!

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I haven’t seen a pick like the Jackrabbit one in a looooong time.
That's exactly what I thought. When was the last time we had a Corner jump a route, catch it in stride, and then house it? That was beautiful. Usually I'm just glad if our CB 2 can break up a pass or be in the general vicinity of the pass catcher to attempt a tackle.

BiloxiSaint1

Veteran Starter
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
While the 2020 defense will be hard pressed to have as many takeaways as the 2009 defense I think the 2020 unit is a better and more fundamentally sound defense than the 2009 unit was.

just my opinion
I agree. This current Saints D can stop the run and the 2009 Saints D couldn't. The Saints D have been stopping the run consistently going into their 3rd season now. The 2009 D produced a lot of turnovers, but I attribute a lot of that to G. Williams scheme. IMO the 2020 Saints D will be a lot better D overall than the 2009 Saints D. And they should be since the Saints have invested A LOT into their defense over the last 4 years.

The 2009 gave up about 122 yards per game on the ground. The Saints D last year gave up about 91 yards per game. The Bucs D last year was #1 giving up about 74 yards per game.

In the game Sunday, the Saints D gave up 86 yards rushing (3.3 ypc) and the Bucs D gave up 82 yards rushing (2.4 ypc). So both the Saints D and Bucs D look to be back to their prior season run stopping defenses.

The Saints pass rush looks to be very good again. Also the Saints pass D played well. Granted, it was only one game and the first game, but at this point we have a few seasons of very solid defense with this staff and core players that I think we can all feel pretty good about the Saints D.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the deciding factor for this team will be the Special Teams unit. They are so good and they give us such an advantage
I think a lot of people are sleeping on this fact. Great special teams combined with good defense can win you a lot of games at any level.

Feels like this is the season we've been building up to since 2017 defensively. All those young guys are vets now and additional talent has been added.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan in Lafayette Latavius Murray on Staying Prepared, Panthers Defense | Saints vs. Panthers Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Talks Wide Receiver Depth, Week 7 prep | Saints vs. Panthers Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Demario Davis Talks Saints Defensive Communication and Execution | Saints vs. Panthers Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Ryan Ramczyk on Staying Focused, Week 7 Game Plan | Saints vs. Panthers Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Janoris Jenkins on Returning From Injury, Playing Fast | Saints vs. Panthers Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Trey Hendrickson on Saints D-Line, Week 7 Game Plan | Saints vs. Panthers Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Alvin Kamara Talks Saints Run Game, Teddy Bridgewater | Saints vs. Panthers Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
What has 2020 taught Sean Payton about his Saints team and himself? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2020 Draft Preview - No. 2: Nick Friedell on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - October 23, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-23-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Joel Meyers & Antonio Daniels on the hiring of Stan Van Gundy on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - October 22, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-22-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five-minute draft guide: Exploring the depth of 2020 class Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
2020 Draft Preview - No. 1: Jon Krawczynski on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - October 21, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-21-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Five-minute draft guide: Major SEC influence on 2020 class Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-20-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-19-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-16-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-15-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Covington Saint 2020's Bye Week Blessings Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 12
Joel Meyers on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - October 14, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-14-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans News Around the Web (10-13-2020) Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Saints Pregame Report by John Hendrix Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D Saints RSS News Feeds 0
I hope the Saints use the 1RB 4 TE package vs Carolina Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Can Panthers' Teddy Bridgewater exploit his knowledge of the Saints? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Tony Chachere's Key Ingredients to a New Orleans Saints victory vs. Carolina Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Three things to watch as Saints and Panthers rivalry hits its refresh button Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vs. Panthers live scoreboard, updates: See time, channel, picks, more for NFC South showdown Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton feels "Good" about Saints depleted Receiver Corps SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Behind Enemy Lines, Week 7: Previewing Saints vs. Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints call up two practice squad receivers as COVID-19 replacements SR News Page Articles 0
Missing Sanders and Thomas, Saints add WRs Carr and Johnson to roster ahead of Panthers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to use Austin Carr, Juwan Johnson as COVID-19 replacements, activate Will Clapp too for game vs. Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints fans 'Ask Amie:' Michael Thomas trade rumors, receiver depth, Emmanuel Sanders on COVID-19 list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints favored by 7+ points for second consecutive week Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Payton sets the record straight about the Saints and Michael Thomas Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
ktmoze Saints Defense needs to Step Up Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Are Saints hoping to get offers for Michael Thomas? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Raiders, Saints have no new positive tests Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Interview with Saints’ Super Fan “Da Boom” gives hope and inspiration to many Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints 4 life Saints interested in Tate (Rumor) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 61
WATCH: Week 7 preview video, Saints set to welcome our old pal Teddy B. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Back-to-back wins do nothing for Saints fan confidence Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Final Saints vs. Panthers injury report: Michael Thomas ruled out SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints confident in depth at receiver despite Thomas, Sanders being out vs. Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette BREAKING: Saints Place WR Emmanuel Sanders on the Reserve-Covid List SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette 15 wide receiver trade targets for the Saints SR News Page Articles 0