2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad (1 Viewer)

With the 2009 team, you had a feeling they could go 16-0( went 13-0). Do you have a feeling this team can go 16-0? I think after a few more games, we will see if this Saints team legit as 2009. On paper I think this defense is better than 2009.

"Something just felt different about the energy from the defense", one person told me. This particular individual is not prone to hyperbole either, so that's why it stood out to me.

Maybe for truly the first time, they unquestionably understand that they are on the verge of being something special as a defense. We need to send Ronnie Lott over there to see if he smells any greatness. From an appropriate social distance, of course!

I haven’t seen a pick like the Jackrabbit one in a looooong time.

That's exactly what I thought. When was the last time we had a Corner jump a route, catch it in stride, and then house it? That was beautiful. Usually I'm just glad if our CB 2 can break up a pass or be in the general vicinity of the pass catcher to attempt a tackle.

While the 2020 defense will be hard pressed to have as many takeaways as the 2009 defense I think the 2020 unit is a better and more fundamentally sound defense than the 2009 unit was.

just my opinion

I agree. This current Saints D can stop the run and the 2009 Saints D couldn't. The Saints D have been stopping the run consistently going into their 3rd season now. The 2009 D produced a lot of turnovers, but I attribute a lot of that to G. Williams scheme. IMO the 2020 Saints D will be a lot better D overall than the 2009 Saints D. And they should be since the Saints have invested A LOT into their defense over the last 4 years.

The 2009 gave up about 122 yards per game on the ground. The Saints D last year gave up about 91 yards per game. The Bucs D last year was #1 giving up about 74 yards per game.

In the game Sunday, the Saints D gave up 86 yards rushing (3.3 ypc) and the Bucs D gave up 82 yards rushing (2.4 ypc). So both the Saints D and Bucs D look to be back to their prior season run stopping defenses.

The Saints pass rush looks to be very good again. Also the Saints pass D played well. Granted, it was only one game and the first game, but at this point we have a few seasons of very solid defense with this staff and core players that I think we can all feel pretty good about the Saints D.

I think the deciding factor for this team will be the Special Teams unit. They are so good and they give us such an advantage

I think a lot of people are sleeping on this fact. Great special teams combined with good defense can win you a lot of games at any level.

Feels like this is the season we've been building up to since 2017 defensively. All those young guys are vets now and additional talent has been added.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom