2020 UEFA European Championship (June 11 - July 11, 2021) (3 Viewers)

Rashfords attempt was about as feeble as it can get though. I understand other players have missed pks before, but good lord that one was weak.

Donnarumma made some $$$ with those saves and this tournament.

Definitely question the choices on the PK takers. Let veterans take them in a pressure packed moment. I think Southgate’s youth movement overall has been a success so far, and if those guys hit their PKs, they’re English legends for the rest of their lives. But they didn’t. Really sucks for them to be put in that situation IMO.
One of the interesting things the books Soccernomics pointed out is that maybe the worst investment a club team can make is paying high $$ for some player that just had a great tournament
That probably doesn’t include goalies, but I found it an interesting analysis

Rashfords attempt was about as feeble as it can get though. I understand other players have missed pks before, but good lord that one was weak.
I didn’t see confirmation, but announcer seemed to indicate he was eyeballing the goalie when he struck the ball

This is a different Italy team, we haven’t seen them with this kind of speed and attack in years.

great article here about how Mancini has changed the culture of Italian soccer.

Just a bump here. But this will go down as one of the greatest coaching jobs in sports. Bravo Mancini.

can't say that i'm a fan or know the english squad front to back, but i was definitely surprised that he was kept out of the starting lineup this tournament - i've been impressed with his play both for club and for WC qualifier
now not as surprised -
also Mbappe missed a tying pk
harry kane missed v denmark (and got a lucky rebound)
pks are crazy

True but I wasn’t just referring to the PK. He couldn’t really get on the field in this tournament and I have always wondered exactly what it is about him the United fans love. He’s obviously talented and at 23 with that speed and build, you want him to be great. But he’s yet to make me think, “oh that’s the guy!”

One of the interesting things the books Soccernomics pointed out is that maybe the worst investment a club team can make is paying high $$ for some player that just had a great tournament
That probably doesn’t include goalies, but I found it an interesting analysis
Yeah, makes sense. Paying a player being in form from a camp through a tournament is probably like NFL teams overpaying after a contract year bump. But I think Donnarumma is going to be around and very good for a while. He’s only 22.

FWIW, I really liked what Southgate did with his lineup today, going 5-2-3 or 5-3-2, however you want to look at it. I don’t think they’d used that all tournament, but it let them get more defensive speed on the field and we could have really had a wide open game if they’d have kept pushing after that first goal. Having Shaw and Trippier as wing backs pushing up field probably wasn’t expected by Italy at all. Just needed to do more of it.

True but I wasn’t just referring to the PK. He couldn’t really get on the field in this tournament and I have always wondered exactly what it is about him the United fans love. He’s obviously talented and at 23 with that speed and build, you want him to be great. But he’s yet to make me think, “oh that’s the guy!”
Speaking of Man U

Honest question: is Rashford overrated by United fans?

its all about the system and how a player fits into that system.

For Rashford at United, he fits quite well. Bruno is the "qb". He is the guy up top that plays off Bruno ( or Pogba - but primarily Bruno )

For England, his role is diminished because you have Sterling who cna provide width and darting runs ( Same as Rashford in a sense ) butmore experience in doing that for MC. Kane, in the final, was the facilitator. Mount nor Rice were asked to feed the balls. So Kane had to drop in that role and did quite well. Its really why i thought Grealish would have arrived sooner to let Kane give up that duty and be more of a threat up top.

So i think within Southgates system for the Euro final, it didnt call for the skills of Rashford for the full 90. But i suspect he, Sancho, Bellingham will start to get much more time. Bellingham would be that "facilitator" and it may prove to be what England need to get some of these guys more playing time.

The PK was disappointing. I dont know how trainers at that level are not incensed by these "hops" and "slow walks" to the ball and instruct youth to let that @#$# go and simply pick your target and put your laces thru the ball. You have to trust your accuracy and power and shot selection will best that of the keeper. This whole "hop" thing trying to change your shot at the very final moment your foot hits the ball is just dumb imo. Too much room for error.

FWIW, I really liked what Southgate did with his lineup today, going 5-2-3 or 5-3-2, however you want to look at it. I don’t think they’d used that all tournament, but it let them get more defensive speed on the field and we could have really had a wide open game if they’d have kept pushing after that first goal. Having Shaw and Trippier as wing backs pushing up field probably wasn’t expected by Italy at all. Just needed to do more of it.

Totally.

They simply stopped pressing those two well earlier than i thought they would. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

For Rashford at United, he fits quite well. Bruno is the "qb". He is the guy up top that plays off Bruno ( or Pogba - but primarily Bruno )

For England, his role is diminished because you have Sterling who cna provide width and darting runs ( Same as Rashford in a sense ) butmore experience in doing that for MC. Kane, in the final, was the facilitator. Mount nor Rice were asked to feed the balls. So Kane had to drop in that role and did quite well. Its really why i thought Grealish would have arrived sooner to let Kane give up that duty and be more of a threat up top.

So i think within Southgates system for the Euro final, it didnt call for the skills of Rashford for the full 90. But i suspect he, Sancho, Bellingham will start to get much more time. Bellingham would be that "facilitator" and it may prove to be what England need to get some of these guys more playing time.

The PK was disappointing. I dont know how trainers at that level are not incensed by these "hops" and "slow walks" to the ball and instruct youth to let that @#$# go and simply pick your target and put your laces thru the ball. You have to trust your accuracy and power and shot selection will best that of the keeper. This whole "hop" thing trying to change your shot at the very final moment your foot hits the ball is just dumb imo. Too much room for error.
Pretty much, the Italians were just striking the ball. No hesitation. The 2 goals England got were both solid aggressive hits. The next 2 were too passive. Attempt 3 was wide open and he simply psyched himself out.

That said, I thought England wasn't aggressive enough after they went up 1-0.

No shame for England though. This tournament showed they're on the right track and should be competitive for years to come. Italy hasn't lost a match in a few years now. Good showing by both teams. I'm looking forward to the next WC. Should be great.

if a player was allowed to, i think it would be fun to walk up with a coin or 4/6 sided di (depending on how specific you wanted to be) and just let randomness tell you where to go
at the very least it would get in the goalie's head telling them that their homework is useless, but also allows the pker to just smash the ball

Pretty much, the Italians were just striking the ball. No hesitation. The 2 goals England got were both solid aggressive hits. The next 2 were too passive. Attempt 3 was wide open and he simply psyched himself out.

That said, I thought England wasn't aggressive enough after they went up 1-0.

No shame for England though. This tournament showed they're on the right track and should be competitive for years to come. Italy hasn't lost a match in a few years now. Good showing by both teams. I'm looking forward to the next WC. Should be great.
i think Bonucci took the hop (and made) while Jorginho went straight (and missed)
when all is said and done, PKs are going to be like baseball pitching/hitting - no matter how much study or technique is applied, kicker (and pitcher) will win 70-80% of the time

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom