2021 Draft Prospects to Watch This Season (1 Viewer)

If Mills really runs a 4.58 then that would make him nearly as fast as Andrew Luck.

He also had a 6.96 3 cone which could make him elusive enough to extend plays.

He only played a few games so Like Tom Brady there isn't much to go on but also like Tom Brady he played a ton under center which is great but very rare these days for top qb prospects.

Lastly,

This is very interesting

Kellen Mond and Davis Mills had the quickest releases of any of the top QBs according to PFF. Mond had the fastest.

"He also does so quickly. His 2.51-second average time to throw on non-screens and non-RPOs was the fastest of any quarterback in the top 10, finishing .17 seconds over Trevor Lawrence this past season. Getting the ball out quickly and accurately is how a pure pocket quarterback like Mills has to win at the next level. We just wish we could have seen more proof on tape."

Mond's tight TD at the Senior Bowl to Amari Rodgers was almost identical to this one:

Buddy Johnson

Height: 6'0″ (14th percentile)
Weight: 229 (19th)
Arm: 31 1/2 (28th)
Hand: 9 7/8 (71st)
Vertical: 39 (90th)
Broad: 128 (96th)
40-yard: 4.57 (80th)
Short shuttle: 4.03 (96th)
3-cone: 7.04 (62nd)

My man a few years ago had a few injuries but looks like he is back. Saints need to give him try...

Mark Gilbert

@Joodas Avila

What's your take on Davis Mills?

I like he and Kellen Mond and Newman as potential starters.

You're the PAC-12 expert.

He even ran a 4.58 at his pro day.

Honestly, im mot 100% on Mills. I mean, he has the traits to be good, but he has a very long way to go. In my opinion, his 40 time seems a bit flukeish, cause he doesnt play anywhere near that fast on the field. & what’s more, Mills doesnt really ever run. He’s not mobile, nor is he elusive in the pocket or under pressure. It’s crazy that he tested that well cause he doeant use or even really show the kind of athleticism on the field.

There’s this Jeckyl & Hyde vide to Mills’ game. At times he can be surgical w/his ball placement & accuracy down field. But once he gets hit, or pressured, or even if the play is defended well, he almost looks panicked & lost.

I see a lot of hesitation & a lack of improvisational ability that are a must have for the position these days. Mills seems to have almost no ability to save a play once the D has blown it up. He also has this maddening habit of holding on to the ball way too long. Mills had weapons in Fehoko & Michael Wilson, but that habit holding the ball too long kind of killed their production & numbers. You could see those guys getting open but Mills just failed to get the ball out to them w/any kind of consistency. Mills is more of a check down style QB. Not really a fan of that kind of QB.

Mond looks like he has a lot of developmental upside. I like him as a project player.

As for Jamie Newman, ive been a fan from the get. I still liked him even liked him after his subpar Senior Bowl. He may not be the most refined passer right now, but he has a ton of good film to build on. A lot of proof on film showing flashes of brilliance. On top of being elusive, mobile, & a major threat w/his legs, the dude has good accuracy & a big arm. He just needs to work on the Xs & Os. Sucks he never got the chance to develop at Georgia. In my opinion, Newman could be the true diamond of this class. He just need to go to the right team, situation, coach & coaching staff.

I’d LOVE to see us take a chance on Newman at some point on Day 3. His play style is very similar to Josh Allen’s. I think either Newman &/or Kyle Trask would be huge gets as developmental QBs. Newman’s upside, though, is pretty high given his traits, play style & athletic profile. Big fan of his.

I think we likely need to take a receiver or corner in the 1st. I’m leaning to receiver cause Terrace Marshall and Kadarius Toney are big time players. I knew Marshall was fast, but running a 4.38 at 6’3” 205 is elite. Toney ran about the same at 4.39. I still lean towards Toney cause I think he would compliment Thomas better, but you can’t go wrong with Marshall and that size/speed combination. Marshall was my favorite receiver out of him, Jefferson, & Chase.

But if we went with a corner like Tyson Campbell or Greg Newsome II
I would be more than happy. I just rather get one in the 2nd and take one of those fast receivers that can get separation at 28.

Honestly, im mot 100% on Mills. I mean, he has the traits to be good, but he has a very long way to go. In my opinion, his 40 time seems a bit flukeish, cause he doesnt play anywhere near that fast on the field. & what’s more, Mills doesnt really ever run. He’s not mobile, nor is he elusive in the pocket or under pressure. It’s crazy that he tested that well cause he doeant use or even really show the kind of athleticism on the field.

There’s this Jeckyl & Hyde vide to Mills’ game. At times he can be surgical w/his ball placement & accuracy down field. But once he gets hit, or pressured, or even if the play is defended well, he almost looks panicked & lost.

I see a lot of hesitation & a lack of improvisational ability that are a must have for the position these days. Mills seems to have almost no ability to save a play once the D has blown it up. He also has this maddening habit of holding on to the ball way too long. Mills had weapons in Fehoko & Michael Wilson, but that habit holding the ball too long kind of killed their production & numbers. You could see those guys getting open but Mills just failed to get the ball out to them w/any kind of consistency. Mills is more of a check down style QB. Not really a fan of that kind of QB.

Mond looks like he has a lot of developmental upside. I like him as a project player.

As for Jamie Newman, ive been a fan from the get. I still liked him even liked him after his subpar Senior Bowl. He may not be the most refined passer right now, but he has a ton of good film to build on. A lot of proof on film showing flashes of brilliance. On top of being elusive, mobile, & a major threat w/his legs, the dude has good accuracy & a big arm. He just needs to work on the Xs & Os. Sucks he never got the chance to develop at Georgia. In my opinion, Newman could be the true diamond of this class. He just need to go to the right team, situation, coach & coaching staff.

I’d LOVE to see us take a chance on Newman at some point on Day 3. His play style is very similar to Josh Allen’s. I think either Newman &/or Kyle Trask would be huge gets as developmental QBs. Newman’s upside, though, is pretty high given his traits, play style & athletic profile. Big fan of his.

Thanks for the insight on Mills.

Yeah Newman had a quietly good senior bowl despite getting sacked 5 time and an int.

He rallied for a late TD and looked good struggling off rust.

His size is similar to Jacoby Brissett.

He definitly has potential.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom