2021 Salary Cap Hell (1 Viewer)

LUX

Ride til I die!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Saints are going to be $99.9 million over the projected cap for 2021. This is going to make it so hard to keep a lot of talented people on our roster.

This doesn't even include our free agents that could be leaving: Defensive end Trey Hendrickson, Tight End Jared Cook (I don't mind him gone), Defensive Tackle Sheldon Rankins and Safety Marcus Williams (I'm still on the fence with him).

Unrestricted free agents: Linebackers Alex Anzalone (need to keep) and Craig Robertson (his time may be done), Cornerback P.J. Williams (we can find someone better), Quarterback Jameis Winston (still needs a chance, but could be expensive) and Guard James Hurst (may be a cheap keep?).

I know Loomis is good, but with that much over, A LOT of people will either need to be cut or restructure. Our draft picks this year are not very good if memory serves so we will need to pick based on what we are replacing for sure. I just think it's a nightmare to think about and I hope Loomis can get it done. It's just a huge number to try to play with.

We just have to make it worth it this season and hope the adrenaline lasts for a few years. Its going to get ugly around March. This team is going to be largely unrecognizable next year. We are going to lose some major talent, and the only thing standing between us and a few 10+ loss seasons is hitting absolute home runs in the draft and getting value from a few cheap free agents.

This is certainly the nail in the coffin for Brees. If there was a 1% chance he would come back, thats reduced to less than 0. A 42-43 year old QB isnt going to want to play for a team in full rebuild mode. Loomis has worked cap magic before, but 100 million???

While most are saying it's nothing to worry about now, you got anywhere from 1-3 games to figure a plan out before hell breaks loose. I still don't know how you get down $100 million for next year.

The Saints are going to be $99.9 million over the projected cap for 2021. This is going to make it so hard to keep a lot of talented people on our roster.

This doesn't even include our free agents that could be leaving: Defensive end Trey Hendrickson, Tight End Jared Cook (I don't mind him gone), Defensive Tackle Sheldon Rankins and Safety Marcus Williams (I'm still on the fence with him).

Unrestricted free agents: Linebackers Alex Anzalone (need to keep) and Craig Robertson (his time may be done), Cornerback P.J. Williams (we can find someone better), Quarterback Jameis Winston (still needs a chance, but could be expensive) and Guard James Hurst (may be a cheap keep?).

I know Loomis is good, but with that much over, A LOT of people will either need to be cut or restructure. Our draft picks this year are not very good if memory serves so we will need to pick based on what we are replacing for sure. I just think it's a nightmare to think about and I hope Loomis can get it done. It's just a huge number to try to play with.

The cap is likely to be closer to 200 mil. The 175 mil cap is the "floor" or worst case scenerio. Saints are currently on the hook for ~275 mil. That 90+ mil number is very unlikely to happen. More like 75 mil. Throw in Brees retiring and Kwon's cut contract it's more like 50 mil. If you can work out a June 1st cut for Brees it's more like 35 mil over the cap.

From what I'm seeing the only big FAs we may lose are Hendrickson and/or M.Williams. Depends on the price. Doesn't look too doom and gloom to me.

It'll be tight and it would be nice to improve our situation with a frugal year, but I think the team will be fine (minus a sure thing at QB).

Last edited:
we will lose at leats 1 starting CB (Jenkins and/or Lattimore)
If Lattimore stays, we probably lose M.Williams
TRex is probably gone
Morstead is gone
Brees retiring
Sanders could be cut
Maybe Murray could be cut
Rankins probably is on his way out
Malcolm Brown is gone

There will be a lot of rookies and UDFA with roster spots. And the QB is a big ????
Payton will have to coach like a magician to have at least a winning record

I am willing to bet, Trex is signed and Latt will be gone. You do not sign DB’s to mega contracts. You do always sign your stud linemen to big contracts. They are always in demand. No pass rush, no CB looks good.

Sean Payton admittedly made one mistake with a similar player in 06. Ninkovich. He is not going to make another mistake.

we will lose at leats 1 starting CB (Jenkins and/or Lattimore)
If Lattimore stays, we probably lose M.Williams
TRex is probably gone
Morstead is gone
Brees retiring
Sanders could be cut
Maybe Murray could be cut
Rankins probably is on his way out
Malcolm Brown is gone

There will be a lot of rookies and UDFA with roster spots. And the QB is a big ????
Payton will have to coach like a magician to have at least a winning record

You can get under the cap without cutting Morstead, Sanders, J.Jenkins or Brown. Lattimore saves you money if you extend him. Things aren't as bad as it's being made to be. It's a rough year but more about not being able to add pieces, like a big name FA QB for instance. Rankins may be had on the cheap. Big time FA will be hard to sign so M.Williams and Hendrickson will be questionable but the roster will be mostly intact.

While most are saying it's nothing to worry about now, you got anywhere from 1-3 games to figure a plan out before hell breaks loose. I still don't know how you get down $100 million for next year.

You're going to be surprised how that 100 mil number quick disippates. First, it will be the cap not being a worst-case scenario. Then obvious moves happen (et. Kwon and Brees) and suddenly you will see we are a few extensions and restructures away from being under the cap.

I think we have to figure out how to sign Hendrickson. I think OP underestimates the value of PJ Williams who can play all of our DB positions and probably won’t be expensive to keep. I think he stays and gets penciled in at FS when Marcus Williams walks. While I’d love to keep Hurst on a cheap contract, I think he’s done enough to earn a starting job somewhere else. If Fontenot goes to Atlanta they’re going to sign some of our players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom