2023 offseason: so far, so good (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do believe we are starting the off-season the best way possible, considering the circumstances.

I know it seems we have lost of players, but any of them were key pieces. I would love to have Ellis back, but he was a luxury project to have.

I like Onyematta and Shy, but not at the amounts they got elsewhere. And Davenport? He left with more questions than answers. I hope we learned that lesson and think twice of trading up for a project.

Here are the best news: we finally got a long term solution at quarterback, on a relatively cheap price. We even got a solid back-up and Winston's new contract makes all sense on the side of the team.

And Michael Thomas? I am very willing to make that bet at that price. If he is healthy, he will be a maniac on the field.

Now, we have a lot of holes to fill, we need to rebuild the interior line, but we will do it on cheaper contracts. I really can't think we won't be as good as we were last year. We can hope Turner will have finally a good year, and I think we can replace the interior of the line with similar results.

If we decide to get veteran players, I am all for bringing players released by their teams, in order to keep the compensatory picks. The age of our key veterans is the best indication that we have to inject youth (and cheaper contracts) and 2024 will be the year to do so, and keep being competitive.

Now, we have a lot of holes to fill, we need to rebuild the interior line, but we will do it on cheaper contracts. I really can't think we won't be as good as we were last year. We can hope Turner will have finally a good year, and I think we can replace the interior of the line with similar results.
I would like to at least get one mid level guy to help anchor the middle of the line, it would help out whoever we get as rotational vets and/or draft picks for the position.

Just about the perfect off-season so far. Cleared a load of average FAs who didn’t contribute a great deal (Ellis aside), made some clear upgrades at key positions (particularly QB) and kept Michael Thomas, Juwan Johnson etc.

If we get some reasonable injury luck for once, there’s zero reason for this team to win anything less than 10 games and make some noise in the playoffs. DA has got everything he could have wanted and now it’s time to cook. Either 10+ wins or a new HC will be coming into a great situation in 2024.

And honestly, I think the Saints are doing a good job with these contracts and not overpaying, which helps the cap in future years.

Last edited:
I´m not as enchanted with the moves as others. I love the decisions to sign Derek Carr and keep MT. But the new additions today don´t scream "obvious upgrade" to me. It´s just average players (until know), that have shown upside. Maybe Saunders surprises, but signing Williams and Shepherd doesn't make me gitty.

So far so good is an astute observation. I like what the team has done. QB, RB, the DTs and add the MT renegotiation as well as Resigning JJ. I think they are being methodical and putting pieces in place to make the draft as fool proof as possible.

Completely agree. I think getting Carr early on made things go smoother.
Totally agree....I think Carr making his decision early before tampering and actual free agency made a lot of difference. It allowed for him to be help with the recruit of players because they knew we had a damn good QB1.

I´m not as enchanted with the moves as others. I love the decisions to sign Derek Carr and keep MT. But the new additions today don´t scream "obvious upgrade" to me. It´s just average players (until know), that have shown upside. Maybe Saunders surprises, but signing Williams and Shepherd doesn't make me gitty.
Saunders is very much on the upswing, Shepherd adds bulk. Our interior D line is 40lbs heavier than before and faster. Williams is a short yardage/goalline machine that can be the 1st and 2nd down back to take the weight off AK. These signings ( an I think maybe 1 or 2 more ) give up much flexibility in the draft

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom