242 Yards Rushing Given Up By the "#1" Rush Defense (2 Viewers)

I'm not even sure how that's possible. Kwon is back, Davenport is back. Does Jalen Hurts just own us? Or do we simply have no schematic answer for a college read-option offense?

We were absolutely terrible on 3rd down as well, and the run D was garbage from the jump, not just after the defense got tired.
A couple of the big runs, Cam took an inside rush and didn’t set the edge. Not just him though. Most of the game we only had 2 linebackers in and they were playing inside. Counting on the DEs to set the edge and DBs to make the tackles. Did the same thing last year, same result.

I'm not even sure how that's possible. Kwon is back, Davenport is back. Does Jalen Hurts just own us? Or do we simply have no schematic answer for a college read-option offense?

We were absolutely terrible on 3rd down as well, and the run D was garbage from the jump, not just after the defense got tired.
The pocket Hurts had to pass in was absolutely astounding as well. This D line is extremely overrated

Is no one going to mention the play by Marcus when he, once again, ran from one side of the field to another and made a great play? If the WR had caught that ball, everyone would have been blaming him. We have a decent defense, we were out schemed today, just like they did to us last year. Maybe they are our new kryptonite. I'm willing to bet that we do a better job against the Bills running game next week than we did this week.

Does anyone still want Allen? So many of you were raving about his Def and worrying that he could leave to take a head coaching job. I have always hated Dennis Allen and have wanted him out and gone for since he got here. His Def is too inconsistent and a big tease to our fan base. A few good games and then disaster strikes every damn year with his unit.
I'm surprised you didn't get a clown reaction yet.

The defense got gassed in the first half because the offense couldn’t stay on the field. I think they possessed the ball for less than 10 minutes. It was too late after that.
It’s like people don’t understand the concept of complementary football. The best defense is ball control offense. Our first four or so series were punts and a turnover. The broadcast even had a graph that we had been in our opponents territory only 7 times by the top of the 3rd quarter. Most of the first half the offense was on the sidelines.

No, the defense wasn’t great today. But, my God, they didn’t get hardly any help until the start of the fourth quarter.

Does anyone still want Allen? So many of you were raving about his Def and worrying that he could leave to take a head coaching job. I have always hated Dennis Allen and have wanted him out and gone for since he got here. His Def is too inconsistent and a big tease to our fan base. A few good games and then disaster strikes every damn year with his unit.
well I don't know if it even says he is a good one but he is the best DC we have had in a couple of decades.

It's like playing against the Wing-T offense in high school. You face it once a season (typically, once every few seasons) so you get maybe three days of defensive install to specifically counter it. If more NFL teams actually start to use it as their base offense with personnel as ideal for it as Hurts, you'll see coordinators put more time into practicing against it and it won't be nearly as effective.

And much like the Wing-T, if you CAN stop it and your offense is good enough to build a lead, those offenses typically have nowhere else to go. Which is why most NFL teams don't adopt the offense.

Again...if we get out of our own way on offense early and score a few times you force them out of running the same play over and over.

Allen scheme and our des just don't know how to handle the option. It's basic college fundamentals. It's not magic. I played De in college in the 90s when every had the options and it's hammered into our heads . It's not hard with a good scheme and displined de technique.

I played De in college in the 90s when every had the options
There's your key right there. You concentrated on it so much in practice because you were going to be facing it practically every week. So much so that many college defenses were (and still are) put together personnel-wise and scheme-wise specifically to counter that offense. NFL defenses (so far) are going to face more conventional running games (which we've handled very well) without the threat of a QB as eager to pull it back and run himself, unless they play in the division with the Ravens. And even then it's still a little more conventional attack than the Eagles are running.

But sure, let’s blame the defense.
I find this back and forth when we lose of trying to blame one side or the other incredibly stupid. The offense was really bad today. But the defense was awful out of the gate. They gave up two TDs in the first three drives. The Eagles running game dominated from the first whistle, not just as the defense got tired.

Blame whoever you want, but they did not play well today, and there's no excuse for giving up 242 yards rushing when you are the top rushing D in the league. There are a million other, well deserved threads about the offense's woes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom