"2nd oldest roster in the NFL" (merged) (2 Viewers)

I prefer to call it the 2nd most experienced team in the NFL.

2nd oldest team in the league?

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, if so I apologize but one comment made by the Fox guys during the game sunday was that the Saints had the second oldest roster in the league behind the Washington Redskins. Maybe I heard it wrong but this caught me by surprise. I guess I never considered the Saints to be an aging team since we always seem to be focused on our younger guys but it makes you wonder how much longer is our window of opportunity with this team.

We have some guys that really pull the average age up.

John Carney - 45
Mark Brunell - 39
Jason Kyle - 37

Then sprinkle in some ST guys like Troy Evans and Pierson Prioleau that are USUALLY young guys (on ST) and you get a high average age.

Right. I guess we're going to have to listen to the pundits regurgitate this ad nauseum all season.

The difference between the youngest and the oldest roster is about 1.5 years: 26.5 or so to around 28...

If you replace our backup kicker, backup QB, and long snapper with even 30 year olds then I believe our average comes down to middle of the league. Just more disingenuous commentating, IMO, as they try to make something of nothing.

Where do I apply for one of these jobs?

league. Just more disingenuous commentating, IMO, as they try to make something of nothing.

Where do I apply for one of these jobs?

Did you play pro ball?

Is your dad a big time announcer?

If you answered 'no' to either of these, then sorry.

We have some guys that really pull the average age up.

John Carney - 45
Mark Brunell - 39
Jason Kyle - 37

Then sprinkle in some ST guys like Troy Evans and Pierson Prioleau that are USUALLY young guys (on ST) and you get a high average age.

Yeah I did figure that they would bring the average up and I hadn't thought about that. It just caught me off guard when they said we were the 2nd oldest team in the league when I always thought of the Saints as a team with a lot of up and coming young players. I guess its just another misleading statistic that they like to throw out there.

It has been talked about somewhere on here recently. Also factor in that we only have two draft choices on the current roster. We only had four total but two of them went on IR. So without any super young guys and a few super old guys, the average age is really up there.

Most of our key contributors, though, are in their 20s with Brees just having turned 30.

Apparantly they keep seeing Roman Harpers lid...

If Carney and Brunel were each 15 and 10 years younger, our average age would be bout 27.1 instead of 27.7 or so.

The only old player who matters that I'm concerned about is Sharper.

Isnt the youngest team about twenty-five and a half years old while the oldest about twenty-seven and a half? Two years difference is not really like Methusala versus Peter Pan.

Great OP. Good thread.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom