3-4 OLB Devin Taylor: post-combine player comparisons and results [Merged] (1 Viewer)

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Devin Taylor's post combine results compared to 49ers lber Aldon smith and other 2013 3-4 OLBs:

Devin-Taylor.jpg

Height:6-7
Weight:266

Arms: 36"

Aldon Smith , by comparison 35 3/8

Wingspan: 87"

(one reporter describing him as a Pterodactyl), Aldon Smith's wingspan by comparison is 83 7/8.

40 time: 4.72

Vertical Leap: 35"

Bench Press: 14 reps

Broad Jump:10'08"

Shuttle: 4:30
(Aldon Smith, 4.50)

3-cone:6.89

(aldon Smith 7.19)

Despite being heavier and taller than most, Taylor bested the following players in these categories

Jarvis Jones (40 time)
Barkevious Mingo (shuttle time, nearly tied the 3-cone time)
Dion Jordan (vertical jump, broad jump, shuttle and 3-cone)
Ezekiel Ansah (vertical Jump, Broad jump and 3-cone)
Corey Lemonier (vertical Jump, broad Jump, Shuttle, and 3-cone)
Demontre Moore (40 time, broad jump, bench press)
Bjoern Werner (40 time, vertical jump, broad jump, shuttle, and 3-cone)
Sio Moore (broad jump, shuttle and 3-cone)
Alex Okafor (40 time)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84589&draftyear=2013&genpos=DE
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84441&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/glUW6Y7z3gw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What round is he projected to go in?

3rd or 4th round.

Mayock talked about him a bit during his combine workout. Said he was a physical freak, but had issue playing soft. Pointed out that during the Shrine Gamel, he got pushed around too easily and gave up TD.

Maybe I was watching the wrong guy (it happens) but he did not look very comfortable in the 3-4 OLB drills at the combine. That's understandable but wonder if that is something to be concerned about.

Devin Taylor looks good....in shorts. I've watched South Carolina a few times this year to check out Clowney and I thought he was a pretty underwhelming player. He had the opportunity to be left alone on every play last year because teams were doubling JC on every play and didn't produce much. He is a strong player but not that explosive and very stiff, IMO he will never be able to drop into coverage so I don't see how he could transition to a 3-4 OLB. He might be able to become a good 3-4 DE but he needs to add weight. From the 3 games I have seen, it even looks like Taylor was coming off the field a lot in passing situation for Chaz Sutton.

He is a decent mid-Rd pick but I don't understand how you can compare him to Aldon Smith...yeah they have a "similar" body but Aldon is more explosive and was much more productive in college while playing on a much worse Dline. If I had to compare him to a NFL player, it would be a young Ray Edwards.

To me, he is the definition of a "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" kind of player!

6'7" 266, 14 reps with 225 on bench? Explains why he gets pushed around

yeah he looked ok to me , lots of OLBs in this draft, few CBs and a few S i like

Not surprised he beat Moore in pretty much everything. Damontre Moore may be the most overrated player in this draft after seeing him workout. Anyone that drafts him is just riding the media love train.

Dang, looks pretty good to me. Problem is we don't have another Taylor to play next to him.

6'7" 266, 14 reps with 225 on bench? Explains why he gets pushed around
Look at it this way, Aldon smith only did 20 on the bench himself at the combine which isn't very mind-blowing. Guys with arms that long typically don't do too well on the bench from what I recall but that doesn't mean that their power can't translate to the field better than in a combine workout. I once saw Albert Haynesworth throw Jamaal Brown on his back in 2007 but he only repped 17 on the bench at the combine.

Look at it this way, Aldon smith only did 20 on the bench himself at the combine which isn't very mind-blowing. Guys with arms that long typically don't do too well on the bench from what I recall but that doesn't mean that their power can't translate to the field better than in a combine workout. I once saw Albert Haynesworth throw Jamaal Brown on his back in 2007 but he only repped 17 on the bench at the combine.

I agree. All that a bench press rep total might tell you is whether someone spends a lot of time working in the weight room or not. But even that's not necessarily a direct correlation. It certainly isn't a direct indication of on field power. I always though power cleans would be a better indication - see how many reps of 225 they do with that.

What do you think about his ability to transition to a 3-4 OLB? It's hard to project that sort of thing sometimes but it didn't look to me like he was wholly comfortable doing it - he probably doesn't have much experience doing it but he certainly didn't show any natural affinity for it (I think).

Maybe I was watching the wrong guy (it happens) but he did not look very comfortable in the 3-4 OLB drills at the combine. That's understandable but wonder if that is something to be concerned about.
Rarely anyone was high on Ezekiel Ansah before the day of the Senior Bowl either.

Sliders

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE, BYU: Ansah is one of the most physically gifted players in this draft class, but he showed this week that he still has a lot of developing to do. During pass-rush periods, he repeatedly tried to work through the numbers of the offensive tackle, but his bull rush was rarely effective. He flashed one inside-spin move, but otherwise was predictable and unsuccessful in his pass-rushing attempts. Some teams are concerned with what transpired this week, while others are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender.

Desmond Trufant's draft stock soaring; Ezekiel Ansah too raw? - NFL.com

But from what I've seen of him in actual games he looks as though he moves at least as well as Aldon Smith does in space and the one play where he stopped on a dime and chased down a much smaller qb on a roll out in the shrine game really made me take notice of how explosive he can be in space.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom