3-4 OLB Devin Taylor: post-combine player comparisons and results [Merged] (1 Viewer)

Look at it this way, Aldon smith only did 20 on the bench himself at the combine which isn't very mind-blowing. Guys with arms that long typically don't do too well on the bench from what I recall but that doesn't mean that their power can't translate to the field better than in a combine workout. I once saw Albert Haynesworth throw Jamaal Brown on his back in 2007 but he only repped 17 on the bench at the combine.

I've seen Aldon Smith over power guys too, so agree about bench reps and long arms. But how does Taylor express that strength on the field is the question. Everyone is saying he is soft so I'm guessing that on the field it's far and few between, is he displaying power on the field when necessary?

Maybe I was watching the wrong guy (it happens) but he did not look very comfortable in the 3-4 OLB drills at the combine. That's understandable but wonder if that is something to be concerned about.

I've pointed this out before but I wanted to wait until after the combine to make a thread about it but many of the movement skills and power that I've seen from Aldon Smith, you see almost identically from Devin Taylor.

Bull rushes and amazing open field tackles

Figured you might find this entertaining.

Aldon Smith making almost identical plays as Taylor made in the shrine game.

1:56 open-field tackle

:34 bull rush
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DSGghPNz1W8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

5:50 Great play Closing speed, out runs smaller qb at 275lbs and doesn't give up the angle
6:17 bull rushes, manhandles tackle for a sack

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g0-WeCHApmQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

to Pick-sixes

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/neYPEOtdkS4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vSA2r8eyvXg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I've seen Aldon Smith over power guys too, so agree about bench reps and long arms. But how does Taylor express that strength on the field is the question. Everyone is saying he is soft so I'm guessing that on the field it's far and few between, is he displaying power on the field when necessary?

That's just the thing, Devin taylor manhandled many OTs at the shrine game and even threw some to the ground. Just like here at ( 6:17)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g0-WeCHApmQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Above he uses a 4-point stance but perhaps adjusting his launch point and positioning from a 2-point stance could make him more disruptive standing up like aldon smith. Aldon Smith only had 4.5 sacks his final year at Missouri too.

A further breakdown of the shrine game video above

2:15 strip sack
4:15 forced fumble on the running back
5:32 hurries a throw for an INT

1:00 gets good release with speed on the reverse but gets held by OT allowing TD. Refs miss call.
5:50 Great play Closing speed, out runs smaller qb at 275lbs and doesn't give up the angle
6:17 bull rushes, manhandles tackle for a sack

and of his old 2010 footage, showing his agility in action

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fgthdpafboU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

coverage abililty/footwork

:44
:56
1:05
6:12
6:33-7:00

blitzing
2:17

sack
2:26
6:21

closing speed

:23
:37
1:14
1:26
5:22
5:44

shrine game review
Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina: The "other" defensive end for the Gamecocks, often overshadowed by Melvin Ingram and Jadeveon Clowney had a nice day of practice. The first thing you notice with Taylor is he's enormous at 6'8" and almost 270 pounds. He was once "the guy" at end for South Carolina, but kind of fell through the wayside. In one-on-one drills Taylor overpowered a lot of the tackles, including flat out throwing one to the ground on the drill. Taylor is a bit stiff in his hips and doesn't seem to have that bend you look for in an end, but if he shows he's strong enough might interest teams as a strongside end at the NFL level.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/16/3883348/east-west-shrine-game-2013-practice-report

What do you think about his ability to transition to a 3-4 OLB? It's hard to project that sort of thing sometimes but it didn't look to me like he was wholly comfortable doing it - he probably doesn't have much experience doing it but he certainly didn't show any natural affinity for it (I think).

Check out the frames that i highlight in my last post about his coverage ability, footwork, speed to the edge and closing speed. Throwing all expert projection bias out of the window, Taylor looks at least as good as Aldon Smith does in space.

Aldon Smith only had 4.5 sacks his final year at Missouri too.

Maybe Devin Taylor can turn it around but you can't compare his production with Smith IMO

Yeah Smith had 4.5 sacks in his last season at Missouri....while playing hurt for most of the year. He also had 11.5 sacks as a redshirt freshman the year before.

Taylor never came close to that kind of production, even after playing for 4 years (including two playing opposite to the best college DE I have ever seen

Maybe Devin Taylor can turn it around but you can't compare his production with Smith IMO

Yeah Smith had 4.5 sacks in his last season at Missouri....while playing hurt for most of the year. He also had 11.5 sacks as a redshirt freshman the year before.

Taylor never came close to that kind of production, even after playing for 4 years (including two playing opposite to the best college DE I have ever seen

I mean if you really look a Taylor's stats closely he was remarkably consistent. For his career he had 35.5 tackles for loss, 18.5 sacks, 16 passes defensed, and at least 42 tackles in each of his last three years. His highest sack total (7.5) in 2010 was only 4 less than smith's superb year in 2009 and was done before Clowney ever even showed up at South Carolina.

Many of those numbers above dwarf what players like Clay Matthews ever did in college, so in many ways Taylor can be taken as an even more proven prospect based on production.

3rd or 4th round.

Mayock talked about him a bit during his combine workout. Said he was a physical freak, but had issue playing soft. Pointed out that during the Shrine Gamel, he got pushed around too easily and gave up TD.
This is my issue as well. He clearly has special abilities, but has not produced much his college career. I know he has been on a tear at senior bowl and the combine, but at the same time you have to be careful of guys who have great ability but have not produced, but come alive when money is now on the line. Point being will him and his great physical attributes dissappear when he gets paid.

This is my issue as well. He clearly has special abilities, but has not produced much his college career. I know he has been on a tear at senior bowl and the combine, but at the same time you have to be careful of guys who have great ability but have not produced, but come alive when money is now on the line. Point being will him and his great physical attributes dissappear when he gets paid.
Aldon smith had 34 tackles and 4.5 sacks his last year in college while playing 10 games. He was mostly drafted so high because of potential and his lone standout year in 2009.

To be fair, Smith could've easily have been considered a one year wonder based on his 2010 production and players like Matthews never did anything eye-popping. Matthews sky-rocketed up draft boards after showing strong hands and elite movement skills in the senior bowl in 2009.

Aldon smith had 34 tackles and 4.5 sacks his last year in college while playing 10 games. He was mostly drafted so high because of potential and his lone standout year in 2009.

To be fair, Smith could've easily have been considered a one year wonder based on his 2010 production and players like Matthews never did anything eye-popping. Matthews sky-rocketed up draft boards after showing strong hands and elite movement skills in the senior bowl in 2009.
That's true and you have a point, but Matthews produced his senior season when he finally got the chance to play, and Aldon Smith played injured his senior season which explains the limited production. Just think you have to tread carefully with guys like Taylor, although I love his physical abilities. Saints cannot afford to miss this draft. They need about 3 players defensively that can come in and play at the level of a solid starter.

He is not a 1st round projection, we are talking about expending a mid round pick, so this is a can't lose prospect. If he doesn't turn out or not we risked very little.

That's true and you have a point, but Matthews produced his senior season when he finally got the chance to play, and Aldon Smith played injured his senior season which explains the limited production. Just think you have to tread carefully with guys like Taylor, although I love his physical abilities. Saints cannot afford to miss this draft. They need about 3 players defensively that can come in and play at the level of a solid starter.

With apologies to Aldon Smith, he had 48 tackles his final year but only 34 solo.

Matthews only had 4.5 sacks as a senior DE at USC.

He is not a 1st round projection, we are talking about expending a mid round pick, so this is a can't lose prospect. If he doesn't turn out or not we risked very little.
This right here.

Assuming he lasts to the 3rd or fourth round. He could be our Akiem Hicks of this draft.

Check out the frames that i highlight in my last post about his coverage ability, footwork, speed to the edge and closing speed. Throwing all expert projection bias out of the window, Taylor looks at least as good as Aldon Smith does in space.

There's some really good film there. Also the Shrine Bowl film was very good to see.

Why is he only projected to be a 3rd/4th round pick? Is it just the media hasn't caught on to him? Is there something else?

He looks like a steal in the 3rd round to me. Great size, great combine numbers/measurables, solid (if unspectacular) production at USC, played for a number of years at a consistent level.

Keep in mind that Taylor played on the strong side at Carolina. He didn't pin his ears back and go after the passer the same way Clowney (and Ingram) did on a lot of snaps.

That said he seems to be pretty stiff and though the combine numbers show that he's an explosive athlete, he didn't always look it on the field. Not an ideal first step rushing the passer, especially when you watch Clowney and Sutton on the same line (granted not many will match those two).

As far as South Carolina players go, I like DeVonte Holloman better as an OLB (obviously not a pure pass rusher). But certainly wouldn't be disapointed if the Saints picked Taylor in the mid-late rounds. If OLB doesn't work out, still think he could play -and may even be better suited for- the 5-tech.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom