3-4 Under Front (Position Analysis) (1 Viewer)

The only problem here is that in Rob Ryan's scheme the WILB blitzes 50% of the time. I can't see Vilma being effective at this.

But didn't Vilma struggle in New York in their 3-4?

It was a 2gap 3-4 with the lb's on the bubble taking on guards.

In the under as shown above the WILB is covered up by the NT and RDE. The SILB has to take on the guard head up.

The only problem here is that in Rob Ryan's scheme the WILB blitzes 50% of the time. I can't see Vilma being effective at this.

Ur going off tht article of showing the rex ryan 3-4 which isnt completely accurate...not to say its wrong.

Keep n mind this scheme will b similar to 3gs. Vilma blitzed a great deal while 3G was here. So its not going to b new to him.

Great analysis. My only question is would Jordan b able to handle the right side. Sure he looks stellar against slower footed RTs but would he look the same against quicker, more agile LTs? Also, I still think Wilson is better suited for 1 of the ILB spots. From what I've noticed from him these past 2 yrs, he looks much better blitzing from the inside

Great analysis. My only question is would Jordan b able to handle the right side. Sure he looks stellar against slower footed RTs but would he look the same against quicker, more agile LTs? Also, I still think Wilson is better suited for 1 of the ILB spots. From what I've noticed from him these past 2 yrs, he looks much better blitzing from the inside

I agree. He seems to manhandle guards/centers running head on!

One of the things I saw in that video though is Hicks is standing up and not penetrating. He is trying to locate the ball and use his size to control the OL. He has to do that by staying low. That may have been part of Spags system to read and react, but that won't work in any type of 3/4. If they are two gapping they have to get low, penetrate, and control the POA. I think he has to stay in the middle until he conditions himself to stay low. Put a two by four at about three feet and let him do his dummy and sled drills through that to learn to stay low. There nothing like getting you're head bumped several times to teach you to stay low.

One of the things I saw in that video though is Hicks is standing up and not penetrating. He is trying to locate the ball and use his size to control the OL. He has to do that by staying low. That may have been part of Spags system to read and react, but that won't work in any type of 3/4. If they are two gapping they have to get low, penetrate, and control the POA. I think he has to stay in the middle until he conditions himself to stay low. Put a two by four at about three feet and let him do his dummy and sled drills through that to learn to stay low. There nothing like getting you're head bumped several times to teach you to stay low.

All good points but we are 1 gapping and hes playing the shaded nose.

You see im not placing guys where i think they should fit...im placing them what they were being asked to do in the 4-3 versus what they will be asked to do in a 3-4...just standing in a different position.

Hicks is actually a prototypical 1gap NT and 4-3 nose are the same thing. Its the same position he and bunkley were swapping in/out of this year.

Cam Jordan playing 5tech as the RDE is the same as him playing 5tech as the LDE in 4-3. He is switching sides but still 2gapping(RDE is the only person that 2gaps

Sharrif Floyd can 5tech/3tech
Datone Jones can 5tech/3tech
Sheldon Richardson can 3tech....5tech im not so sure.

Can Hicks 5 tech/3tech...yes but as of right now i think its easier to project him as the 1tech nose because thats what he was doing last year.

I noticed the same but i think it was by design. It appears that he teaches arm extention because as you notice he does a very good job@ keeping himself clean. Protects his legs(kansas city) from cut blocks...hes pretty good. When asked to get upfield hes done it. The batted pass, the cam newton sack, the near tackle of Blunt were all plays he was asked to shoot his gap. The other plays were plays where he was asked to read/react.

It seems truth be told that Hicks because of his skillset and size can play every position along the 3-4 under front.

He is gonna have to play lower to be effective is all I am saying. BTW, in the under concept which Minnesota played over a decade ago and we did also, the NT was slanted or tilted on one shoulder or the other of the Ctr. John andle played that position that way very effectively as memory serves.

"To play these fronts you require better WLB play because now he's doing many of the same things that MIKE is doing in the 4-3. He's not protected as often by the 3-technique from blockers."

The above shows why Vilma is being kept around. Its that simple. He is still our best bet@ that WLB position.

That WILB is going to be your cleanest guy in this front. Cam/Hicks or Cam/Bunkley covering up Jonathan Vilma and Galette on the strong side is perfect.

The statement in the article (that you quoted) contradicts the statement above. Your saying the WILB is the cleanest guy but the article says that he WILB is not protected by the 3-technique. I'm not sure which is true but if Vilma is going to play the WILB, he better be protected from blockers.

The statement in the article (that you quoted) contradicts the statement above. Your saying the WILB is the cleanest guy but the article says that he WILB is not protected by the 3-technique. I'm not sure which is true but if Vilma is going to play the WILB, he better be protected from blockers.

It's because hes not. The 3tech is on the strong side of the 3-4 under..away frim the wilb and positioned closer to the SILB

He does have the protection of the RDE and the NT . That means vilma would have Combo of Cam Bunkley or Cam Hicks covering him up and providing run defense. All Vilma should have to do is cleanup anybody that these two dont tackle themselves.

Remember even though its called the Weak ILB...because its an under front the weakside is actually the Strong side so Vilma will be fine. Its Lofton tht will have to take on blockers more often.

That's why I think Wilson will be the SOLB...in our dime packages 2-4-5 would be Galette (6'2 258) and Wilson 6'4 250lbs on the edges and Hicks 6'5 325 and Jordan 6'4 280lbs inside...its possible to run this dime package successful and these are the players coach Payton wanted utilized.

I agree with ur Dime and Nickel Fronts

We just disagree on the best places for players in the base front

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom