3-4 Zone or 3-4 Man (1 Viewer)

I would be all for it IF I didn't think Greer was on a decline, if he drafted a great man corner like banks or Xavier Rhodes or Desmond trufant but until we do I look for us to move Jenkins to nickel CB and primarily use zone blitzes, most 3-4 teams do especially since most left 3-4 olb are converted ends and not great manning up vs tight ends zone is easier for them obviously, unless u have a stud like dion Jordan

I agree but not with the zone blitz. We tried that all this year and none of our DBs can play zone. So why not play what they one the Super Bowl with?? Tight man to man and blitz.

I wouldn't trust where ever you read #2 FS in the league, not even close, I could name 10 better without trouble, have a harder time naming worse really

I wouldn't trust where ever you read #2 FS in the league, not even close, I could name 10 better without trouble, have a harder time naming worse really

I've seen #2 FS in the NFC south which isn't saying much along with #2 FS in the NFC in 2011 which I as well find somewhat difficult to believe. At any rate, it really doesn't matter if we don't find a DC who plays to our players' strengths. That would require a total re-evaluation of our defense and some new position coaches I hope

I think man to man because last season showed our guys are bad at zone.

Whatever keeps the corners closer to the receivers at the LOS. I am tired of 10 yard cushions that translate in automatic first downs and doesn't protect us for allowing the big play.

We cannot over emphasize scheme to help the DB's in coverage and ignore the looming issue potentially with the 4 linebackers. Lofton is bad in coverage, Galette and Wilson are moving to linebacker from 4-3 end, and we will likely have a rookie out there in coverage at times also, there is where the liability will be.

Exactly, Robinson regressed because of it and Greer looked like he did too but I think they are both still really good at man. We don't even really know how Johnny Patrick would do in a man scheme as he was a man specific corner out of college with good tackling ability. Mack is a shutdown nickel corner IMO but IDK how he would do in a man scheme and Corey White should be even better in man because of his speed.

Johnny Patrick was above average last year filling in for an injured Greer i think it was. This year was terrible for him due to the new scheme...zone is not easy to learn and perform in one season

Exactly, Robinson regressed because of it and Greer looked like he did too but I think they are both still really good at man. We don't even really know how Johnny Patrick would do in a man scheme as he was a man specific corner out of college with good tackling ability. Mack is a shutdown nickel corner IMO but IDK how he would do in a man scheme and Corey White should be even better in man because of his speed.

Johnny Patrick was above average last year filling in for an injured Greer i think it was. This year was terrible for him due to the new scheme...zone is not easy to learn and perform in one season

I think the one of the biggest advantages of the 3-4 is the zone pressure flexibility. I am biased, but to me, running a 3-4 and not using zone pressure is not very logical.

I think the one of the biggest advantages of the 3-4 is the zone pressure flexibility. I am biased, but to me, running a 3-4 and not using zone pressure is not very logical.

True, but that is only really relevant for 1st down and 2nd down depending on what type of offense we are facing. People only want to talk about the 3-4 but the reality is most teams end up playing in their nickel package 40% of the game or more in the NFL nowadays so the days of seeing 4 LB's on 3rd down don't really exist anymore. At least thats how I see it, considering how much the NFL has turned into a pass first league.

True, but that is only really relevant for 1st down and 2nd down depending on what type of offense we are facing. People only want to talk about the 3-4 but the reality is most teams end up playing in their nickel package 40% of the game or more in the NFL nowadays so the days of seeing 4 LB's on 3rd down don't really exist anymore. At least thats how I see it, considering how much the NFL has turned into a pass first league.

It's actually the opposite... it's more relevant on 3rd and longs/passing downs. When youre in regular down/distance, you're playing gap control and read/react... you're playing football, using basic principals. The "scheme"... what differentiates a 3-4 from a 4-3, and the coverages, specifically... really comes into play on passing downs.

Whether you're in nickel or not, you're still using 3-4 concepts. You just are taking out a linebacker or a lineman and putting in more DBs. You still have 11 bodies. Some will rush. Some will cover. Now it's about how you set that up schematically. To me, if you're going with the 3-4, you have to at least employ those zone pressure concepts. Exclusively? No. Significantly? Yes.

It's actually the opposite... it's more relevant on 3rd and longs/passing downs. When youre in regular down/distance, you're playing gap control and read/react... you're playing football, using basic principals. The "scheme"... what differentiates a 3-4 from a 4-3, and the coverages, specifically... really comes into play on passing downs.

Whether you're in nickel or not, you're still using 3-4 concepts. You just are taking out a linebacker or a lineman and putting in more DBs. You still have 11 bodies. Some will rush. Some will cover. Now it's about how you set that up schematically. To me, if you're going with the 3-4, you have to at least employ those zone pressure concepts. Exclusively? No. Significantly? Yes.
The diff. in nickel (many of them) between 4-3 and 3-4 is usually 3-4's take out the NT and go 2-4-5 but in the 4-3 they take out a LB and go 4-2-5.

We cannot over emphasize scheme to help the DB's in coverage and ignore the looming issue potentially with the 4 linebackers. Lofton is bad in coverage, Galette and Wilson are moving to linebacker from 4-3 end, and we will likely have a rookie out there in coverage at times also, there is where the liability will be.

Hawthorne

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom