3 attacked at gas station on Mother’s Day for ‘being in the wrong neighborhood’ (1 Viewer)

I am not from BR so maybe somebody could clarify for me but looking at Google maps, the corner of Plank and Scenic does not seem to be a bad area. Right off of I-110, fairly open area one block from the BREC Memorial Park sports complex.

Lol, trust me. I worked across the street from the Sports Complex. Bad area.

But an out of towner wouldnt know.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

I am not from BR so maybe somebody could clarify for me but looking at Google maps, the corner of Plank and Scenic does not seem to be a bad area. Right off of I-110, fairly open area one block from the BREC Memorial Park sports complex.

How many tourist visit Baton Rouge every day that are not aware of all the "bad" areas? How many GPS units are programmed to know what is a bad area? Why is nothing being done in these bad areas.

Take a drive through there on Streetview or familiarize yourself with the BR homicide map. I'm only nominally from BR (born/lived near, lived there a bit in later years) and I know to avoid those areas at night.

Even if you're oblivious to crime in Baton Rouge, you should have second thoughts after seeing the neighborhood and a group gathered outside the station. I'd avoid a station with a group outside at night up here and our homicide rate is less than 1/10th of Baton Rouge's.

This just isn't a good example of the need for CCL since carrying a weapon isn't an excuse to ignore personal safety. Being extremely cautious and proactive at avoiding situations like this is part of the responsibility of carrying.

Why is it acceptable that the man with the pink shirt has to stay out of certain areas? If men of color were beat up when they stopped in River Ranch, there would be marches and protests. It would be a hate crime.

Who said it was acceptable? Nobody should have to fear for their safety or feel the need to be armed for protection. It would be great if there were no dangerous areas or situations, but that just isn't reality.

I have been to New Orleans enough times to know that it is easy to get lost. It is easy to end up on a questionable street. You and I may be able to easily recognize these areas but what about your wife? Your daughter? Your grand parents visiting NOLA?

I wouldn't carry in New Orleans as a tourist since carrying is illegal or disallowed in many tourist destinations. A lot of tourists would object to staying sober to meet LA CCL law as well.

If my grandparents are roaming New Orleans then everyone should open carry to survive the zombie apocalypse.

I'm sure you check the homicide map around every place you ever stop for gas. :jpshakehead:

Serverum's posts in this thread remind me of the men who blame rape victims for "asking for it" by dressing in a way that's "too attractive." What a truly awful series of posts from him.

I'm sure you check the homicide map around every place you ever stop for gas. :jpshakehead:

BHM asked how safe the area was and the map provides an easy answer. As a map/GIS geek I have checked crime maps in cities I frequent or have ties to, but I don't expect others to.

Serverum's posts in this thread remind me of the men who blame rape victims for "asking for it" by dressing in a way that's "too attractive." What a truly awful series of posts from him.

The assailants were clearly the ones at fault and there's no excuse for the attack. I've followed enough BR news to be disgusted by the continual violence and system that fuels it.

I just object to the claim that bringing a weapon into the situation would have automatically solved the problem. The outcome could have easily been worse if weapons were used on either side. That's why a gun owner has a greater responsibility to be aware of dangerous situations and avoid them if at all possible.

I was thinking that too. Do they have crime maps on some GPS that i don't know about?

lol, not on GPS but most larger cities have it on the government website. I know Lafayette has it. It is pretty cool in that you can look at all types of crimes in all locations.

The assailants were clearly the ones at fault and there's no excuse for the attack. I've followed enough BR news to be disgusted by the continual violence and system that fuels it.

I just object to the claim that bringing a weapon into the situation would have automatically solved the problem. The outcome could have easily been worse if weapons were used on either side. That's why a gun owner has a greater responsibility to be aware of dangerous situations and avoid them if at all possible.

Perhaps part of the reason it continues is that people allow it. People learn not to go to bad parts of town. People accept that you should know better than to stop at a particular gas station. This acceptance by the public has led to weaken enforcement perhaps.

Turn the tables for the sake of conversation. If there were parts of town where black folks should not wander into at night, there would be an outcry. Law enforcement would be forced to correct the situation. I am not saying that blacks cry more or louder but they do have a the backing of several vocal groups.

I think what we end up with is bad parts of town that nobody really cares about because they avoid it and it never really affects them. Nobody (maybe including the police) may not care about the local crime that occurs. out of sight, out of mind until some yoyo in a pink shirt stops for directions late at night.

Perhaps part of the reason it continues is that people allow it. People learn not to go to bad parts of town. People accept that you should know better than to stop at a particular gas station. This acceptance by the public has led to weaken enforcement perhaps.

All large cities have areas where you must use extreme caution and be extremely aware of your surroundings. In Louisiana those areas tend to be widespread so it's even more important to be aware of them. That awareness might lead to acceptance, but it shouldn't.

Turn the tables for the sake of conversation. If there were parts of town where black folks should not wander into at night, there would be an outcry. Law enforcement would be forced to correct the situation. I am not saying that blacks cry more or louder but they do have a the backing of several vocal groups.

There are large parts of Baton Rouge that are unsafe for any race. Last year 87% of EBRP homicide victims were black so obviously parts of town are unsafe for them. There should be a larger outcry over crime, poverty, and the factors that lead to them regardless of the race of those involved.

I think what we end up with is bad parts of town that nobody really cares about because they avoid it and it never really affects them. Nobody (maybe including the police) may not care about the local crime that occurs. out of sight, out of mind until some yoyo in a pink shirt stops for directions late at night.

That certainly plays a part, but the problem goes much deeper. Beyond flight to the suburbs you have decaying downtowns, broken underfunded education systems, and rampant poverty. Add a broken court/prison system that often does more to habituate than rehabilitate and you're left with a perfect storm for a cycle of crime.

Just look at this case where people involved in a serious assault are let go with a summons while the state is busy hunting down and locking up non-violent drug offenders for years. Unfortunately there isn't nearly enough outcry from any community to achieve the desperately needed reforms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom