3 Gorges Dam (1 Viewer)

I keep seeing buzz about this on twitter. I remember seeing a show about it years ago on one of the discovery channels. I recall that the dam is so heavy that it affected the seismology of the region.

China went through such rapid expansion that this kind of thing is bound to happen, no?
Not sure why we need to keep learning the lessons of accelerated industrial growth
I would not be super happy to b downstream of that

China went through such rapid expansion that this kind of thing is bound to happen, no?
Not sure why we need to keep learning the lessons of accelerated industrial growth

I recall that its construction was certainly controversial among engineers and geologists . . . not to mention environmentalists.

Another article I read seemed a bit alarmist, but went into the damage to food supply world wide. 400 million displaced people and Chinese crops are being destroyed by the weather there.

Not a very good scenario.

yes. We went through the same both with our economy and structures. And there are always new lessons to learn.

Isn’t China building a giant dam in Ethiopia right now?

Hopefully their dam building ability has improved.

Isn’t China building a giant dam in Ethiopia right now?

Hopefully their dam building ability has improved.

I don't see that anyone is (yet) claiming that some defect in the dam's design or construction is at play here. It's more that there is a volume of rain that is beyond the dam's design.

I don't see that anyone is (yet) claiming that some defect in the dam's design or construction is at play here. It's more that there is a volume of rain that is beyond the dam's design.

that OP video does.

Says the Dam is constructed of concrete blocks that "sit" on bedrock, not "secured" to the bedrock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom