3 Gorges Dam (1 Viewer)

Ok, fair enough.
The video cites reports from post build inspections by independent engineers. It also states that the process was all done by a single company so it's inherently flawed from the start.

Full disclosure, I researched NTD a bit and it appears to be a source specifically created to counter the CCP line. I should have tried to find a more unbiased pov, but after already searching for something less sensational than the first source, I got laxed.

Another article I read seemed a bit alarmist, but went into the damage to food supply world wide. 400 million displaced people and Chinese crops are being destroyed by the weather there.

Not a very good scenario.
I’ve been in Japan during the rainy season (mostly of one at that) - I thought being from NO I knew about rain
That was a different animal

Things getting very 2020 for China now.

Hope that sucker holds but those pictures don't look too good. Not sure I believe em when they say it's because of satellite imagery distortions.

Not saying that the dam isn't physically shifting but it looks like someone did a bad job at the orthorectification of the image. For those who don't know what that that means it is when the image is corrected to put vertical features in the correct place based on where the camera nadir is. Think of it like looking down at buildings or bridges. When they aren't directly below you they will appear to lean away from the center. You can correct for this and shift the features back to where they should belong. If processing the satellite imagery was rushed this may be the reason you see a shift in the dam.

The sheer size and weight of that dam would make a collapse beyond remote. If they keyed the blocks correctly, which is a pretty common knowledge base at this point, then it shouldn’t break. While the force can theoretically cause it to slip on the bedrock, something China admitted is happening and is well within design limits, and isn’t a big deal. Where you see those catastrophic floods is generally earth filled dams that quickly erode out. Look online what would happen to the Midwest and down the Mississippi if Fort Peck Reservoir in Montana collapsed. Earthen damns fail like that. Concrete dams generally don’t.

China went through such rapid expansion that this kind of thing is bound to happen, no?
Not sure why we need to keep learning the lessons of accelerated industrial growth
I would not be super happy to b downstream of that
The quest to catch up with the west, of course. It helps that communist countries have a high level of autonomy when it comes to governance, it's not like the leaders are going to be voted out of office

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom