3 Impending Free Agent RBs (Hopefully) the Saints Will Be Eyeing (1 Viewer)

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
We as Saints fans tend to all agree that a capable pass catcher is needed out of the backfield to maximize this offense's potential, and Travaris Cadet though loved, isn't the man for the job. So here's 3 impending FAs to watch for:

1) Danny Woodhead - Highly unlikely SD lets him walk considering his role and their lack of depth, despite an ACL tear. Still, he's maybe the NFLs premiere pass catching back and a true weapon. If he does get loose, he'd be worth a long look for SP.

2) Andre Ellington - Also a high likelihood of being resigned as an ideal spell for maybe the best back in the NFL, still the converted WR would be a welcomed addition if he is let go.

3) Lance Dunbar - Maybe the most likely to be let go, Dunbar is a very good pass catcher. It's hard to call a player under utilized when his team has the NFL's best record, but Dunbar could definitely be catching more passes in an offense that made him a priority.

Thoughts?

I will agree that we need a pass catching 3rd down type of guy. I like where you are going on this one, however, I would like to find someone in the draft. I like this new youth movement we have going and with our improved selections maybe we can strike gold for a cheaper price than someone with NFL experience. That being said, your options I would be ok with to replace Cadet (although he has been pretty solid this year)

In what world is any of these guys better than what's already on the roster? I'm not saying Cadet is the greatest pass catching RB, but Ellington, Dunbar and davis are no where close to him.

Woodhead would be the guy to go after, but he is one more tackle away from retirement.

In what world is any of these guys better than what's already on the roster? I'm not saying Cadet is the greatest pass catching RB, but Ellington, Dunbar and davis are no where close to him.

Woodhead would be the guy to go after, but he is one more tackle away from retirement.

You're clearly over rating Cadet.. He doesn't break the practice squad on about 28 of 32 NFL rosters.

Just give me reggie and call it aday. We've whiffed on Spiller/releasing Sproles/ Fleener /and trading Graham.

I'm going for the most secure play and thats Reggie. Only ? mark he has is can he still play and I think thats a yes. It's not injury at this point, its not availibility, its not scheme fit, it's just can he give you 10-12 snaps a game including ST's and I think the answer is an easy yes. Plug him in and the success rate is high. Sign another RB that you don't know if he'll fit the scheme or if he can do what you hope he can or if he's slow to adjust and you have another Spiller/Fleener issue.

Just keep it really simple..don't over think it.

Plug and Play

and he gives your sure hands/decision making on KR/PR.

You're clearly over rating Cadet.. He doesn't break the practice squad on about 28 of 32 NFL rosters.

and you're severely under rating him.

no, he's not Bush or Sproles, but when he returned here. He showed why we brought him back.. people gone back to "just cadet" maybe his name does him injustice, as cadets are usually "practice squad" rotc.

Just give me reggie and call it aday. We've whiffed on Spiller/releasing Sproles/ Fleener /and trading Graham.

I'm going for the most secure play and thats Reggie. Only ? mark he has is can he still play and I think thats a yes. It's not injury at this point, its not availibility, its not scheme fit, it's just can he give you 10-12 snaps a game including ST's and I think the answer is an easy yes. Plug him in and the success rate is high. Sign another RB that you don't know if he'll fit the scheme or if he can do what you hope he can or if he's slow to adjust and you have another Spiller/Fleener issue.

Just keep it really simple..don't over think it.

Plug and Play

and he gives your sure hands/decision making on KR/PR.

One last successful run with the Saints would be great. It would also create a ton of buzz going into 2017. I like the thought but I doubt it happens.

One last successful run with the Saints would be great. It would also create a ton of buzz going into 2017. I like the thought but I doubt it happens.

Well according to Payton they were working on an offer/dinner in 2015 but Spiller came free and was available at a solid rate and Payton jumped on that deal. Younger/Faster... I can see why he'd do it.

I don't think the bridge is burned and I also think Sean needs to be as safe as he can with his offensive picks after the last 2 years. Thats a lot of money spent vs the return on those investments. Get reggie for cheap and at the very least he's a decoy and a much better option than Cadet at a moderate price that isn't close to what you'd pay a 25-28 year old RB. He's relied on his eye talent 2 years in a row at 2 of the most important positions in his scheme and he whiffed both times.

Again..don't overthink it. Just be safe. Square peg/Square hole. If he gets hurt bring Cadet back off the streets as he will likley be very available next year. Reggie is a clear upgrade over Cadet and its not like we need a big time Joker RB either. Just a guy to draw a little attention because we have a much better receiving corps thats more talented and able to win than what SP had during those earlier years.

No need for a home run shot....just something to get the bases loaded.

Well according to Payton they were working on an offer/dinner in 2015 but Spiller came free and was available at a solid rate and Payton jumped on that deal. Younger/Faster... I can see why he'd do it.

I don't think the bridge is burned and I also think Sean needs to be as safe as he can with his offensive picks after the last 2 years. Thats a lot of money spent vs the return on those investments. Get reggie for cheap and at the very least he's a decoy and a much better option than Cadet at a moderate price that isn't close to what you'd pay a 25-28 year old RB. He's relied on his eye talent 2 years in a row at 2 of the most important positions in his scheme and he whiffed both times.

Again..don't overthink it. Just be safe. Square peg/Square hole. If he gets hurt bring Cadet back off the streets as he will likley be very available next year. Reggie is a clear upgrade over Cadet and its not like we need a big time Joker RB either. Just a guy to draw a little attention because we have a much better receiving corps thats more talented and able to win than what SP had during those earlier years.

No need for a home run shot....just something to get the bases loaded.

I named my dog after Reggie Bush, he is almost 11 years old now. . . can't we please have someone younger ? Let's draft a guy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom