3 Noobs in NOLA for a week... (1 Viewer)

SaintMeaux

No Pity
Reaction score
OK folks, I have 3 of my co-workers that are going down to New Orleans for a week of training starting on Monday. Naturally, they're asking me for ideas of where to go/what to do while they have some free time. (evenings all week and daytime Monday and Friday)

I know the obvious touristy stuff (Cafe du Monde, Bourbon St., OZ, etc. :mwink:) but since I can't be there to give them the tour, I'm looking for a bit more local flavor for them while they're there.

I haven't been back to NOLA since 2004, so not only is my memory fading but there are likely places I would send them to which may not be there anymore. They're staying in the Hilton by the Riverwalk and I think Delgado's fire training school is in the East on Old Gentilly rd.

All 3 guys are married, hookers optional...
Two are in their late 30's, the other is in his early 50's.

I'm looking for good places to eat on per diem ($44/day) and fun stuff to do at night. I know, two of the toughest things to do in New Orleans, eat well and have a good time! I'm hoping they'll get some idea of why I love that damn city so much.

I see Lil' Nathan & the Zydeco Big Timers are at Rock n Bowl on Thursday night, and Livng Colour is at Tips...:scratch:

I really enjoy Cafe Maspero about 2 blocks off Bourbon on ? St. Peters? I dont know my roads.

For a nice resturaunt, I took my wife to Cafe Orleans on her birthday. We were just walking around and came across it. The food was very good in my opinion.

I dunno what else.

I really enjoy Cafe Maspero about 2 blocks off Bourbon on ? St. Peters? I dont know my roads.

For a nice resturaunt, I took my wife to Cafe Orleans on her birthday. We were just walking around and came across it. The food was very good in my opinion.

I dunno what else.

I don't think Maspero's is Maspero's anymore. I could be wrong.

WATTTT

Where else can two people eat and be stuffed under $20?

This might belong on the I am an idiot thread, but whatever. Back when I was bartending, long, long ago, I stopped at Maspero's with a date before a night in the quarter. We had had a few drinks, but nothing major. We ordered a bottle of (quite inexpensive) wine, which was promptly brought to the table. I picked it up to examine the label, then twirled it to put it back on the table - just out of habit from bartending. Little did I know that they pulled the cork out at the bar, so the bottle was open. I poured about 2/3 of a bottle of red wine all over myself - in a white shirt.

sigh.

We proceeded to accelerate to a very nice buzz for the rest of the evening.

wendy's, krystal, that pizza place on bourbon street :shrug:
I guess I should have said reasonable prices instead of a number. They'll be willing to spring for better fare, we're Teamsters fer Chrissakes!
Busted! I was hoping to take the easy way out and consolidate that info into one thread instead of having to research myself. :angryrazz:

I dunno what else.

Thanks for the suggestion, If its still around I'll map it out for them.

$44 per person per day??

Cafe DuMonde for breakfast, Subway on Decatur for lunch, Felipes on Decatur for dinner...

With the $27 leftover, you can pay the cover charge at Hustler.

I've cited Rio Mar as my favorite restaurant in the city a few times. They do tapas at lunch. $4 - 7/plate. 2-3 plates a person is plenty for very good eats. More Spanish than New Orleans, but still great food at a great place with a great chef.

Oops, forgot to mention that Exxon is hosting the training, so lunch will likely be catered. That should ease the budget a bit.

Daybreaker, you are an evil genius!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom