3 pm press conference today Saints facility... (1 Viewer)

Watching the press conference, Sean seemed like the pressure of being a head coach was lifted off his shoulders. Him bringing king cake to Mrs. Benson and the media folks was a nice touch.... It just seemed like I was listening to a different, relaxed Sean Payton today. Hearing him thank all those past and present Saints players by name kinda got me chocked up. Great memories of the past 15 years came back to mind.
Indeed, I thought it was well done. He rambled a bit, but for a coach of 15 years leaving on his own terms, I'm ok with it. No hard feelings at all from me. I wish him all the best and I'm sure we'll see him announcing games or one of the pre-game shows or something.

Kinda glad we won't have to see him on the sidelines of another team. At least for a bit anyway. Gonna be weird when it happens.

I love the guy! Best coach the Saints have EVER had, hands down… no question about it.

If he goes to another team in a year or two… I wish him nothing but absolute catastrophic embarrassing failure!

Thanks Sean.
Much like Brees was the best QB in Saint's history with a monumental divide between him and 2nd place, Sean has been far and away our best coach. Both are among the best at their craft in NFL history.

I agree. In another thread I mentioned Bill Cowher who walked away from Pittsburgh when he was only 48 years old I believe. Everyone said he'd take and year or two off and he'd be back coaching. Its been 16 years and he never went back to coaching. Some guys are content with what they've accomplished in one chapter of their life and are ready to turn the page to the next one.
Good point. I think he'll probably wind up staying retired and work behind the scenes somewhere. We'll see.

I'm wondering if Sean's in a place where he knows that by X's and O's, by motivation, discipline, scheme, by all objective measures, he's the best chance for the Saints but after the No-Call, having Saints Opponent being the cleanest team in the league for years in a row and finally the Dolphins game where Covid immediately ceased to exist as soon as the Saints were successfully screwed, the subjective obstacles he brings (Goodell's ongoing vendetta) outweigh the good he can do.
no sheet..why didn't any of the press bring that up during his farewell speech?

Nah man, I don't see it that way at all. I see the CSP/DB era that turned around the organization. It's not just going to fall off when they retired. The standard and expectations have changed. Look at the Steelers. They had 16 head coaches in their first 36 years and had a losing record. Noll/Bradshaw changed that. Then they went from Noll to Cowher to Tomlin. The Saints had 13 head coaches in their first 38 years then the CSP/DB era turned it around. Now it's time for who is next to continue on. This organization is not going back to how it used to be before the CSP/DB era.
It's definitely the end of an era for the Saints. What we experienced during the Payton/Brees era changed how the rest of the league viewed our team. The success he brought to the franchise truly brought this whole area back to life at one of the most critical times in the history of New Orleans. It'll be hard to ever come to terms with the end of the greatest era of Saints football. The emotion is real for all of us.

It's definitely the end of an era for the Saints. What we experienced during the Payton/Brees era changed how the rest of the league viewed our team. The success he brought to the franchise truly brought this whole area back to life at one of the most critical times in the history of New Orleans. It'll be hard to ever come to terms with the end of the greatest era of Saints football. The emotion is real for all of us.

Oh, I agree with the emotion. No doubt. It was difficult to watch with all of the memories and I was constantly being drawn back to when I retired from the Air Force after 24 years. You know that chapter is over, but you want to recognize who you can and specific events/accomplishments that defined your career with the understanding that you won't be in this moment/position ever again.

What I don't agree with is that the team is just going to fall back to 2005 and before. I think the organization has shifted to being a winner and going back to being a losing franchise isn't an option.

I can’t bring myself to watch it . I’m numb right now and feel like I’m floating in space. It’s like I came and the closest is cleared of my wife’s things without any warning. I just want it to make sense and it doesn’t right now. All I’m seeing are shadows on the wall

Well, TB12 probably plays another year now. Can’t pass up the opportunity at the Saints sans Sean.
Brady will be sorry if he does. I really believe we will have a powerful defense like the one that totally shut him down on his home field 5 weeks ago.

When I heard that Gayle mentioning every season Payton would inform the Saints that he is committed, This can’t be normal.

Do normal HCs do this every year? Letting the team know if he is back/returning? I’m confused.

Which tells me, the organization already knew he was going to be leaving soon

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom