3 Reasons... Fans Expect Wins This Season... (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The NFL offseason has been challenging for the New Orleans Saints, but media experts and analysts still believe Saints have some winning football coming in the Fall of 2020. And I have three reasons why fans consider this offseason less of a rehad and more like a RELOAD!!!

Offensive Line... Every play starts up front and one of the strongest units on the Saints team got better. In developing the current OL culture, I remember Drew Brees saying he needed to get the ball out faster to reduce QB sacks. QB adjustments can help an OL but sometimes it comes down to blocking the defenders. And, with Brees at QB, the attack point for defenses was attack the Saints' interior OL. Payton can move JWinston more than he could move DBrees. And increasing THill in the "Joker" role improves the Saints offense options.

This year, the Saints could use a high draft pick on an offensive lineman for the third consecutive season, but CB is a bigger need and the Saints have stockpiled a number of players at that position. Greenidge, Kelly, Throckmorton, Hurst or Clapp will need to step up to seal the Saints interior OL. Remember, Sean Payton is a product of the Bill Parcells coaching tree which believed that offensive linemen could be drafted in the middle rounds and coached to become stud players.

We've all seen the emphasis and early-round draft capital invested in the Saints OL, the team is still strong at that position and more mobility in the backfield gives the Saints an advantage they didn't have for the last 15 seasons. I trust Sean Payton to take advantages and turn them into wins. Why use Taysom Hill on 70 plays and average less than 10 yards per play when you can use Hill on 5 plays and have those plays average 20 yards per play? Big plays blow the roof off the Home Dome and make New Orleans a very tough place to win.

Wide Receivers... It is no accident that the Saints beefed up the running game with an affordable blocking TE and FB. Sean Payton wants to throw the ball to build leads the Saints defense can defend. And Payton's MO is to establish the run to set up the play action pass. Then use the run again to defend the lead and close out the game. With the passing game, Payton wants to influence and attack the Safeties to keep them out of run support.

The "game management" bubble screens and short throws to Deonte Harris and Micheal Harris will get an assist from the deep ball. That wheel route to AKamara.. the seem route to ATrautman.. the GO route on the outside to TSmith.. Reverand Duece has long showed fans how Payton's route concepts create open areas in defenses. The Saints have playmakers at every pass catching position. And nobody's talking about coupling these pass catchers with a talented arm and passer.

Defensive Line... Last season was awkward. On Sundays, the Saints could have had as many as 3 QBs on the active roster. The impact of that many QBs was felt in other positions including the Saints DL. The Saints lost three quality defensive linemen in this offseason but, with Jordan and Onyemata being the DL anchors, the Saints have the building block of a very good defensive front seven. And they'll need good defense because defense wins championships.

Hendrickson, gone.. Rankins, gone.. Brown, gone.. Granderson, Malcom Roach and Tuttle have some big shows to fill and I look for the Saints to be shopping for an "elite" run stuffer in the draft. Or the team could still be in the market for affordable free agent. Meaning, every team could use a Vince Wilfork, Norman Hand, Malcom Brown kinda guy.

The first order of business for defenses is to stop the run. With Onyemata on the team, MBrown was not going to be the highest paid interior Saints defensive linemen but a DT who can eat up double teams and keep LBs clean is essential. So, I expect the Saints to sign a veteran NT/DT and draft a guy as competition for Roach and Tuttle. The Saints have young LBs that they like and, if they combine with the DL, the Saints could have a very strong front seven.

So what, your favorite player won't play for the Saints next season.. Brees retired.. Brady is projected to rule the NFC-South.. SO WHAT!! I just gave three reasons why the Saints should expect to win more than 10 games, compete for the NFC-S Champion and win playoff games. Sounds like the same expectations fans had this time last year.

GO Saints!!

I feel like at this point we have pontificated as much as we can on the upcoming Saints season. Now all we can do is wait on the draft and UDFA and see how that plays out.

We probably wont be able to get any more indications of how this season will go until camp and preseason action.

I have very low expectations for this season. I can see us being above average but it does suck realizing that we have no chance of winning a superbowl this year after it being superbowl or bust the last few seasons

With all due respect, we have no idea what this Saints team will become, too early for the defeatist attitude...

Tampa won as a 5 seed.. anything can happen ...I know I know...tom brady

" Greenidge, Kelly, Throckmorton, Hurst or Clapp will need to step up to seal the Saints interior OL"

Guess this is a dig at Peat? I'm assuming big things from Ruiz (year 2 + full offseason) and McCoy (legit).

The 2020 season? Drafting OL high? Waiting for someone to stabilize the interior of the line? Payton's MO is setting up run through play action?
Just the first bit of this is making me wonder if there is a different Saints team

Drew wasn’t really himself anymore athletically, but he was still on of the smartest and experienced guys on the field. I could see the QB change being a little rocky, but hopefully not. I am worried a good bit about the defense. Not only did we lose Brown, Rankins, and Hendrickson, we lost Janoris, Kwon, and Anzalone.

Arguments can be made as to why a few of those aren’t a big deal, but it’s a lot of change, and a few really good players we’ll have a tough time replacing. I don’t know, we are still pretty talented across the board, but we have lost more than we’ve gained thus far. Add a new QB to the equation, who knows what the end result will be? I’m all for being hopeful, but I’m also keeping my expectations in check. I would gladly accept a 10 win season.

The 2020 season? Drafting OL high? Waiting for someone to stabilize the interior of the line? Payton's MO is setting up run through play action?
Just the first bit of this is making me wonder if there is a different Saints team

We have already invested enough high round draft capital in the oline (and I'm an oline kind of guy), late round BPA I'm fine with but the early rounds need to be dedicated to filling the holes on D...IMO....I think the key this year will be the improvement of McCoy and Ruiz in their position switch....I think we are a run first team or, at least, the running game is the real strength of the offense. When we went on that winning streak last year we were running the ball consistently and setting up short down and distance pretty consistently....I would like to see that continue....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom