3 reasons Teddy Bridgewater isn’t the answer - Roy Anderson @ Who Dat Dish nails it (1 Viewer)

There have been quite a few backup QB hero stories throughout NFL history where guys didn't look so hot before tearing it up - Jim Plunkett comes to mind, among others.
Tom Brady comes to mind, too. Ask Drew Bledsoe.

Honestly, I'm kind of worried just because I've seen it happen far too many times in the NFL and Payton is not a rash coach. He's the type that will keep someone a year too long than get rid of someone a year too soon. I don't mind giving Bridgewater a chance. I just do not want to end up in a cycle of mediocrity that so many other teams have fallen into because they are scared to make the switch.

One of SPs first acts as a Saints head coach was to cut Aaron Brooks. There wasn’t a moment of hesitation there.

SP knows what a good QB looks like. I know he expected Bridgewater to be his backup, but if he thought there was a journeyman QB out there who was a lick better that guy would have been on the Saints and Bridgewater on the street.

He traded for Teddy for a reason and resigned him for a reason. That doesn’t mean he will be lights out, but it means Payton sees something we can’t see.

We have to relax and let a good coach do his job.

Do you even believe any of that? QBs get sacked and hit all the time. Its a contact sport and Brees has been healthy for a long, long time. Donald is a top 5 all time DL. The O line had an off game. It happens.

Teddys 'success' was 1 year where he played overly cautious and had a HoF running back keeping defenses honest. And even then his stats were pedestrian. This idea that Teddy has all this success is misguided at best.

I know Taysom doesnt have experience. But the guy plays with fire, he is a playmaker. He will likely throw an inteception here and there, but Id rather a guy who is willing to take a chance than whatever the hell it is Bridgewater does.
I think the sad thing is that you actually believe what you're saying. I'm not denying Taysom's playmaking ability, but some of you guys seem delusional in what he will be able to accomplish. Taysom will face a lot of 7 and 8 man fronts because people won't respect his accuracy. He will make plays and take some big hits. Unfortunately he'll end up on IR playing that way. I love what Taysom brings to the table on set plays, but Teddy opens the playbook up more. I think some of you guys need to get over your Taysom man crush and think about the actual football side of things.

The Saints defense isn’t good enough for whoever is QB to play to not lose. If the Saints don’t want to go 0-6 until Brees returns, the QB is going to have to actively make plays. The running game doesn’t get 50 yards without the threat of the pass and the defense isn’t going to shut anyone down without the offense sustaining drives.

Just to clarify, I didn't say "play not to lose". I said not lose the game, meaning missing receivers, getting sacked because he holds the ball too long, throwing INTs, not being able to read the defense, etc.

There have been quite a few backup QB hero stories throughout NFL history where guys didn't look so hot before tearing it up - Jim Plunkett comes to mind, among others.
Tom Brady comes to mind, too. Ask Drew Bledsoe.

There are also stories like Matt Flynn, Brad Johnson, Scott Mitchell, Matt Cassel, Elvis Grbac, etc etc etc who came in as back ups, lit it up, the fizzle out when given the starter position.

You can find examples either way.

I was pretty critical of Teddy’s play in the Rams game. But, he deserves his chance to prove himself with a full week of prep as the starter and a game plan designed around his strengths.

I’m not sold on Teddy but I’m cautiously optimistic he can put it together and have a good game this weekend. I think Payton can bring a few new wrinkles in and perhaps confuse Seattle. No one knows what a Brees-less Sean Payton offense will really look like. I’m pulling for Teddy and hope he surprises us all

One of SPs first acts as a Saints head coach was to cut Aaron Brooks. There wasn’t a moment of hesitation there.

I don't think he cut AB bcuz he thought he was bad necessarily. IMO he did it bcuz he simply favored Drew n was gonna go after him. AB wasn't nearly as bad as some made him out to be

I think there are fair criticisms to make of Bridgewater. I thought he was slow in his decision making and put too much on some of his throws. Neither of those are really unexpected from a guy who didn’t accumulate a lot of time in the NFL before having to miss significant time and come back from a major injury.

But the problem I have is you’ve got people acting like Hill isn’t a work in progress, too. Maybe it’s because they are used to seeing him on the field (in regular season games so far, he hasn’t looked great throwing the ball [3-7 with an interception]) but I’m not sure how any fan could form conclusive opinions about either player yet.

Hill had some good moments this preseason but remember that disaster of a game last year, and fans were convinced his hands were too small to ever succeed at this level?

I said it in another post that I like both players but I think both have work to do to reach their full potential. Right now Payton seems to favor Bridgewater at this point in his development but it might also be true that Hill is the guy he’s favoring long term. We will know eventually.

I’m hoping both of them can get better and help this team win some games.
to be fair when he's thrown the ball those 7 times, i bet all those throws were deep throws or gadjets. i doubt he had a traditional drop back in any of them

to be fair when he's thrown the ball those 7 times, i bet all those throws were deep throws or gadjets. i doubt he had a traditional drop back in any of them

I’m not meaning to over emphasize that - just pointing out it’s a part of the very little we have to consider, in imagining Taysom as the starter right now.

People might be down on Teddy, and I understand that, but Taysom is mostly an unknown. A lot of the optimism about him isn’t well founded yet (either, if it’s really necessary to acknowledge the same about Teddy). He’s exciting - so was Fourcade.

I’m not knocking either one of these guys other than to continue pointing out that it’s likely neither has reached their ceiling on this team, and Payton indicates he thinks highly of them both.

What's my gut telling me? That TB will struggle. Having said that, I do have faith in Payton to make the right call, and this seems to be it.

tenor.gif

Unless anyone thinks we can win with about 50% completions - about 180 yards - about 1 TD.... and maybe 14 - 20 points a game... consistently.... then NO... Teddy isn't the answer... cause that's who he is.

No QB not named Brees will be successful in the Saints offense if the Saints can't run the ball better. Honestly, besides the injury to Drew, that was my biggest disappointment in the Rams game - more so than even the crappy refs. Carolina ran the ball real well against the Rams.
The only issue there was once Drew went out, they were basically putting the whole defense in the box and forcing TB to beat them with his arm.

I’d be more concerned about what that might indicate about Hill.
If Payton truly believes he's the Steve Young of the Future or whatever he said, I think Payton wants to put as little on film possible showing Hill's improvement at QB since he's a RFA after this season and it could cause a QB desperate team to offer him money we couldn't match if Drew comes back next year. IMO, if he thought TB was the future, he'd have signed him to more than a one year deal to at least spread out his $7MM cap hit. Maybe just even two years. IDK. The length of his contract leads me to believe he wants to keep developing Hill regardless of Drew playing or not next year. If Drew doesn't play next year, and Hill makes the same strides he did this year from last, he'll be a pretty good QB.

Last edited:
The only issue there was once Drew went out, they were basically putting the whole defense in the box and forcing TB to beat them with his arm.

Yes I agree. I'm concerned with Brees out our O Line and RBs still need to be able to get 3 to 4 yards and a cloud of dust even with the box stacked - not giving up TFL or just gaining 1 to 2 yards. I hope this was a short week, west coast travel thing re the O line and RBs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom