3 reasons Teddy Bridgewater isn’t the answer - Roy Anderson @ Who Dat Dish nails it (1 Viewer)

Spylake

Banned
Reaction score
Excerpts

Past success not what it seemed to be
I’ve been hearing it a lot this year and last year when the Saints first signed Teddy Bridgewater. He’s a really good quarterback, maybe great, who caught a bad hand in Minnesota. In his first year with the Vikings, 2014, he was named Offensive Rookie of the Year after coming in and starting 12 games.
You have to wonder how he won that award only accumulating a 6-6 record and throwing for 2,919 yards with 14 TDs to 12 INTs. Seriously, those aren’t very impressive numbers for a quarterback. He did have 209 yards rushing but even then, that’s not earth-shattering. Alvin Kamara had a more impressive rookie season.
Then Bridgewater was a starter for a full season in 2015 throwing for 3,231 yards, 14 TDs and nine interceptions. Again, very pedestrian numbers but he went to the Pro Bowl because the Vikings were 11-5.
None of those numbers are impressive by NFL standards.

The skillset isn’t there

I tweeted during the game on Sunday that Teddy Bridgewater put too much mustard on his passes and had to explain that term to a younger watcher. That’s an old school term meaning he puts too much on his passes. Like putting too much mustard on your Lucky Dog. It’ll make your jaw lock up.
One thing you might have heard a lot of in defense of Teddy Bridgewater following that Rams game was the number of dropped passes. But you have to understand that these players have been catching passes from Drew Brees all offseason.
Drew Brees throws one of the most catchable balls in the NFL. That means he puts just the right amount of heat into a throw to get it softly into the hands, to a point on the field or into the numbers of his receiver. They don’t have to stretch too much. It’s not coming in like a hot potato.

Full article here

Nobody really expect nor need him to be THE Answer. He can be a short-term band-aid until Brees returns.

When Drew is done, we'll have to find the long term replacement, but we're not committed or counting on Teddy beyond 2019..

Seems like a good time to see what Vinny Testaverde is up to. I hear theres a cap credit if you start a QB who is on Medicare.

The only question for me at this point is how long and how far Payton allows this ship to sink before calling Bridgewatergate a failed event.

I dont think Hill is a savior, but I do think he is dynamic enough to give us at least a chance in every game Brees is out. WIth Bridgewater, we might get past Arizona and either Chicago or Tampa.

He's right at this point.

It's up to Bridgewater to prove everyone wrong, not for us to not believe our lying eyes.

I think there are fair criticisms to make of Bridgewater. I thought he was slow in his decision making and put too much on some of his throws. Neither of those are really unexpected from a guy who didn’t accumulate a lot of time in the NFL before having to miss significant time and come back from a major injury.

But the problem I have is you’ve got people acting like Hill isn’t a work in progress, too. Maybe it’s because they are used to seeing him on the field (in regular season games so far, he hasn’t looked great throwing the ball [3-7 with an interception]) but I’m not sure how any fan could form conclusive opinions about either player yet.

Hill had some good moments this preseason but remember that disaster of a game last year, and fans were convinced his hands were too small to ever succeed at this level?

I said it in another post that I like both players but I think both have work to do to reach their full potential. Right now Payton seems to favor Bridgewater at this point in his development but it might also be true that Hill is the guy he’s favoring long term. We will know eventually.

I’m hoping both of them can get better and help this team win some games.

No QB not named Brees will be successful in the Saints offense if the Saints can't run the ball better. Honestly, besides the injury to Drew, that was my biggest disappointment in the Rams game - more so than even the crappy refs. Carolina ran the ball real well against the Rams.

I think there are fair criticisms to make of Bridgewater. I thought he was slow in his decision making and put too much on some of his throws. Neither of those are really unexpected from a guy who didn’t accumulate a lot of time in the NFL before having to miss significant time and come back from a major injury.

But the problem I have is you’ve got people acting like Hill isn’t a work in progress, too. Maybe it’s because they are used to seeing him on the field (in regular season games so far, he hasn’t looked great throwing the ball [3-7 with an interception]) but I’m not sure how any fan could form conclusive opinions about either player yet.

Hill had some good moments this preseason but remember that disaster of a game last year, and fans were convinced his hands were too small to ever succeed at this level?

I said it in another post that I like both players but I think both have work to do to reach their full potential. Right now Payton seems to favor Bridgewater at this point in his development but it might also be true that Hill is the guy he’s favoring long term. We will know eventually.

I’m hoping both of them can get better and help this team win some games.

Hill is absolutely a work in progress and would likely struggle as well. I'm 100% on board with drafting a QB in the first two rounds next year, and that person will be a work in progress as well.

The frustration is in deciding which QB you spend valuable game time on. Bridgewater isn't new to this league. He looked the same Sunday as he looked all preseason as he looked in week 17 last year as he looked in Minnesota (despite that "pro-bowl" nod). And that's simply not good enough to be the future of this franchise.

Bridgewater has to perform on Sunday. I've made my peace with the fact that he's the starter and never really doubted he would be. BUT if he doesn't perform well, there's absolutely no reason to sink time we can't get back into watching him be who he's always been. At that point, we have to see if Hill can develop further and then look at who falls to us in the draft in 2020.

There's a fine line between finding the next, successful guy and sinking into football hell.

No QB not named Brees will be successful in the Saints offense if the Saints can't run the ball better. Honestly, besides the injury to Drew, that was my biggest disappointment in the Rams game - more so than even the crappy refs. Carolina ran the ball real well against the Rams.

Aikman noted it. They were putting 8 men in the box because they simply didn't respect Bridgewater's passing ability. Perhaps he proves all the doubters wrong this weekend? But I need to see it.

Agreed. O Line needs to seriously step up if we want any kind of success with Teddy.

2002....Drew's 2nd year in the league he threw for 3214 yards 17 TD's 16 INT's.
Since when did a QB having a strong arm become a bad thing?

The negatives are there if you want to see those. The positives are also there if you get tired of being down all the time and want to have some hope. Just have to choose to read them that way.
I get it. I wish Drew was going to be under center Sunday but he's not. No matter who it is they aren't going to have his level of talent. I choose not to be negative about it but kind of excited to see how our team responds as a whole. We need guys to step up and hold the fort until Drew gets back.

But the problem I have is you’ve got people acting like Hill isn’t a work in progress, too.
I don’t see it that way at all. The way I see it, Teddy Bridgewater’s die is cast, he is what he is, and it’s not great. Taysom Hill is a wild card, he’s a roll of the dice, maybe he’d be horrendous or maybe he’d be something special. I’d rather gamble with Hill as he’d be fun to watch and maybe we’d steal this one and catch Seattle off guard.

They played close to the line to determined to shut down Kamara, because they weren’t afraid of Teddy Bridgewater. They played the run and dared Teddy to beat them with his arm and he couldn’t do it.

I said it before if we try to play Drew Brees’ offense without Drew Brees we will lose. So maybe Coach Payton can build an offense around Hill’s mobility, that could steal us a few games while Drew is out, before teams catch on to this new offense.

2002....Drew's 2nd year in the league he threw for 3214 yards 17 TD's 16 INT's.
Since when did a QB having a strong arm become a bad thing?

The negatives are there if you want to see those. The positives are also there if you get tired of being down all the time and want to have some hope. Just have to choose to read them that way.
I get it. I wish Drew was going to be under center Sunday but he's not. No matter who it is they aren't going to have his level of talent. I choose not to be negative about it but kind of excited to see how our team responds as a whole. We need guys to step up and hold the fort until Drew gets back.

Teddy Bridgewater is not in his second year and it's not 2002 anymore, when it was much tougher to be a QB.

And that was actually Drews first year to play. He only played in a single game the year prior.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom