3 Round Saints Mock with FA[1/18/07] (1 Viewer)

d3vanj

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
My First Mock, ever:

Free Agency:
Drayton Florence, CB - Florence is a solid man cover guy who will help the struggling secondary of New Orleans, while also opening up more options for the Saints in the draft, while taking some need away from the CB position. He will also not need top dollar.

Alan Faneca, OG - Faneca is the best lineman who will be in free agency this year. He opens gaping holes for RBs to run through, and provides plenty of time for QBs, which is another problem the Saints had this year. He will help a struggling offensive line, and the run game will improve immediately with him on the field.

Draft:

1.Kenny Phillips, S, Miami U
Kenny_Phillips.jpg

Kenny Phillips is an amazing athlete with the ability to make a play, or run down anbody in the open field. He will provide much needed help over the top with the Saints struggling secondary due to poor CB/Safety play and will be an opposing force for receivers crossing over the middle. Some say he's a Sean Taylor(RIP)/Ed Reed hybrid but he doesn't hit like Sean and doesn't have the awareness of Reed, yet. He has the ability to follow in their footsteps in the years to come.

2. Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
764449.jpeg

Jerod Mayo is a strong and fast guy who has recently made a successful change from OLB to ILB and he played like an all-american at his new position, showing the ability to cut runners down to the outside, and clog the holes for them up the middle, while also showing the ability and speed to cover men in the open field. He can play the blitz and break off blocks with ease, and will help get pressure on the opposing QB, which is something we have struggled in as of late.

3. Red Bryant, NT, Texas A&M
56164163bs2.jpg

Bryant, at 6-5 324 lbs. will be a great addition to the D-Line and if he falls this low would be a steal. He can make tackles and get pressure on the opposing QB every play. He could be an instant starter and would help the struggling play at D-Line, and Hollis Thomas isn't getting any younger.

So, what do you think?
I will probably continue to update this every few days or so until it gets into 7 rounds and 1 or two FA people

Last edited:
I thought Lance Briggs re-signed with the Bears. Other than that I like it all. If Briggs is re-signed then I like Karlos Dansby from the Cardinals.

You started a thread saying that you don't understand all the Phillips hype on this board and then you have the Saints picking him at #10. Please explain.
http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59178

I never said he wasn't good I said he was overrated on this board, people making him out to be the next Sean Taylor or Ed Reed just because he is from the same college. He could develop into an elite safety as they are or he could just be average. He is nowhere near the level they were at college and people here are trying to say he was.

If you would've actually read and understood what I was saying
Don't get me wrong, Kenny is an amazing athlete with the potential to develop into a star NFL safety, and I would love him on this team, but I don't get all the random love for him
He had a huge drop off in performance this year, his stats aren't even that good

people are randomly saying we should draft him just because he is from Miami when they probably haven't even seen him play.

I never saw Briggs resigning? Link? In anycase, I could totally be happy with that scenario.

Edit: I see it now from above post. Oh well. I really don't think OLB is as huge a weakness as people think. MLB on the other hand...and CB...probably S...DT at times...OY!

A Fair effort for your "first mock draft ever." However, IMO I'm not high on this Phillips kid just yet. I think DT/LB/CB are more important than S right now.

--I would like to see us go after Hamlin if the 'Girls let him loose or even Gbril Wilson.
--Florence is ok, but we need better than ok at Cb, So I'd like to see us go after the best availible in FA.
--Demorrio Williams is a poor mans Briggs from Atlanta.
--The DT from GB, Corey Williams, is young and entering his prime with having the talent to be dominant.
-- Our oline gave up the fewest sacks and the fourth fewest last year. I don't think we need an upgrade compared to the D.

Depending on FA is how we should go into the draft. For instance if we get a top CB, Corey Williams, and Hamlin or another FS, we draft a LB -- Rivers or Conner in the first. I really like Ellis from USC, but don't think he'll be there at 10. So maybe trade down a few spots and get a few more mid round picks where we get young at TE, CB, and even a kicker.

I don't really think we need a kicker, Gramatica did very good and we can use mare for kickoffs.

This is wat i think we should do... 1st round K. Rivers or D. Connor 2nd round A. Highsworth or B. Flowers 3rd round solid WR D.Hall chevis Jackson
Free agents... CB Marcus Trufant, DE D Haynesworth, WR B. Bernian
RIVERS/HIGHSWORTH/FUJITA at linebacker now that sounds good
Need to draft a WR or sign one in free agents to take slack off Colston

Conners is such a major reach at 10. We'd better not take him over Phillips or Ellis just because we "need" a LB.

I love Mayo in the 2nd and think he will be just as good as Conner if not better.

This is wat i think we should do... 1st round K. Rivers or D. Connor 2nd round A. Highsworth or B. Flowers 3rd round solid WR D.Hall chevis Jackson
Free agents... CB Marcus Trufant, DE D Haynesworth, WR B. Bernian
RIVERS/HIGHSWORTH/FUJITA at linebacker now that sounds good
Need to draft a WR or sign one in free agents to take slack off Colston
1. It's "Highsmith." :9:
2. I'd be pretty disappointed if we went into next year with two rookies starting at LB, regardless of how high we drafted them or how great we all think they'll eventually be. Not to mention, one would be playing out of place, since all three are OLBs.

I also agree with Bonchie. Connor seems to be a relatively "hot name" on this board but I'd be surprised if he went in the first 20 picks.

Conners is such a major reach at 10. We'd better not take him over Phillips or Ellis just because we "need" a LB.

I love Mayo in the 2nd and think he will be just as good as Conner if not better.

Exactly. I think he will be just as good as Conners as well, dude is a beast.

Ugh, never read that. I just searched and found out he signed a 1 year deal with him. Just took that out.

He signed a one year deal this past year when they franchised him. Part of the agreement was that they would not franchise him again this year. Briggs is a free agent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom