3 Sacks n 2 Games (1 Viewer)

Focus number one with Williams D has clearly been shutting down the run.
Unless there are two focus number ones (like companies where quality and safety are both job one), shutting down the run is focus two.

Focus one has rightly been to attack the ball and create turnovers. I'm glad this has been the focus, and we've been reaping the rewards. I hope it stays focus one, although I'd like for other areas to improve too.

+3 in turnover ratio

much more important than sacks

also, points off turnovers

We were told before Gregg Williams was ever hired that he was going to use an aggressive, blitz heavy scheme. Well it's been a little more aggressive than Gary Gibbs pitiful "read and react" scheme. But the Saints have had quick early leads in both their first two games so there hasn't been much need to overly aggressive.

Thats the biggest misconception of GWs scheme. We were told it would be more aggressive, but I never heard of a blitz heavy scheme. Remember, a blitz is when you rush more than the line can block, so we would actually rush 6 guys. Even SP said when we hired GW, that he rarely blitzed, he mostly only rushed 4, which 4 and where they were coming from, is the key to GWs scheme. Yes he does have exotic blitz packages, but to say those packages are heavy in GWs scheme is wrong, IMO.

Now we have seen more creativity in 2 games, than we saw the past 3 years in GGs scheme. We've ran a 3-4, we've had DEs standing up and dropping in coverage w/ LBs rushing the QB, we've had safety and CB blitzes, and as I mentioned previously, Im 100% positive GW has plenty more to unveil and will unveil when need be.

Didn't the Lions Offense play very heavy defensive scheme's to protect their quarterback?

And we got so far ahead of the Eagles right at the start of the 2nd half, that we went into a more prevent big play defense.

Maybe we are holding back because we haven't needed to tip our hand yet?

With this kind of offense, why let opposing teams get game film on our complicated defensive schemes if its not needed?

The best is yet to come?

As long as our defense continues forcing turnovers, stopping teams on 3rd down, and limiting big plays, I don't care if it's done with a sack, a pressure, or a deflected pass.

Don't get beat and get Breesus the ball. That's it.

6 interceptions through 2 games. That's 7 more than we had all of last season.

6 interceptions through 2 games. That's 7 more than we had all of last season.

So we had -1 interceptions last year? :freak7:

But INT > Sack every time. I would rather have a good run defense and an awesome secondary then a blitzkrieg passrush (but all 3 would be nice).

The less sacs, means we are probably getting more interceptions. The more pressure applied to the quarterback the less likely he is to make an accurate throw.

The less sacs, means we are probably getting more interceptions.

No. There is no cause/effect relationship there. If Drew is not getting sacked (and sacked has a 'K'), does that mean he is throwing picks?

The more pressure applied to the quarterback the less likely he is to make an accurate throw.

This part is true. :9:

Plenty. Both teams we have played have made it a point, since the QBs were new, to get the ball out quickly. Plus, GW has unveiled the minumum of what he has to unveil to win these games. I doubt he has scratched the surface w/ his schemes. I also think he's still doing some trial and error seeing what works and what doesnt. Its a long season and I fully expect our D to improve each game the more the guys get used to GWs scheme and are able to see and correct the mistakes made.

Post of the day! :9:

While I have also been a lil disappointed about the passrush, esp from our front 4, it later became clear that after seeing all those short outs and slants, it would be difficult to get sacks. If Trent Edwards, an NFL vet who likes throwing the deep ball 5-10 times a game, resorts to that same short passing game, then you'll know what's really goin on.

No. There is no cause/effect relationship there.
Well for a single play there is, you can't be both sacked and throw a pick on the same play :)

BTW, it helps to think that your avatar is you, lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom