3 Sacks n 2 Games (1 Viewer)

Saintuary

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
For some reason I had prepared myself to see an all out Blitzkrieg. I'm not complaining, maybe we've not had to blitz anyone but I thought it was coming. I also thought we would lose Grant and Smith for a while. Since that didn't happen, I thought those two would be playing lights out ball.

Oh well, the season is young but I'm waiting for the "knock'em the xxxx out.

As long as we score 1 more point than our opponent, then I am ecstatic. Because that gives us a W.

And W's are the only stat that count.

BUHLEE DAT!

they don't record it as a stat, but how many QB pressures, tackles for losses, knockdowns have we had?

I think a lot of people thought the same thing. But after some of the discussions posted here about GW's philosophy, I'm more in tune to the reality than my expectation. And I can say I'm very pleased, nay, ecstatic, about how our D has performed.

Will Smith did have a couple of pressures in the Eagles games that lead to Kolb heaving it out of bounds. As good as our offense is, that is really all we need at this point.

I believe that GW schemes for the games in question. He does what he has to do to win. nothing more nothing less.

I believe that GW schemes for the games in question. He does what he has to do to win. nothing more nothing less.

I agree, I know, I know but, GW said "knock'em." I want to see knock'em, not only that, I want other teams to know what knock'em is.

they don't record it as a stat, but how many QB pressures, tackles for losses, knockdowns have we had?

Plenty. Both teams we have played have made it a point, since the QBs were new, to get the ball out quickly. Plus, GW has unveiled the minumum of what he has to unveil to win these games. I doubt he has scratched the surface w/ his schemes. I also think he's still doing some trial and error seeing what works and what doesnt. Its a long season and I fully expect our D to improve each game the more the guys get used to GWs scheme and are able to see and correct the mistakes made.

We are knocking em. Robert Meachem caught that pass on the right sideline and instead of going out of bounds, he smacked Asante Samuels and knocked him back, then proceeded to drag him 8 yards. We smacked Westbrook and he eventually left the game with a bad ankle. We smacked #10 until he pulled a groin and later in the game we hit Avant so hard he couldn't get up and it's going to get better.

Honestly, Charles Grant is a ghost. On one of Westbrooks wildcat plays, Grant couldn't overcome a VERY weak chop block, so Greer had to make the tackle 15 yards downfield.

Otherwise, the D has been a great improvement over the 16 game pre-season D from last year.

We are knocking em. Robert Meachem caught that pass on the right sideline and instead of going out of bounds, he smacked Asante Samuels and knocked him back, then proceeded to drag him 8 yards. We smacked Westbrook and he eventually left the game with a bad ankle. We smacked #10 until he pulled a groin and later in the game we hit Avant so hard he couldn't get up and it's going to get better.

That was when I first noticed how big Meachem is as a receiver. It appeared to me that Asante Samuels bore the full brunt of that hit and fell straight backward. I loved it.

For some reason I had prepared myself to see an all out Blitzkrieg. I'm not complaining, maybe we've not had to blitz anyone but I thought it was coming. I also thought we would lose Grant and Smith for a while. Since that didn't happen, I thought those two would be playing lights out ball.

Alot of people are going to respond and say "we've hurried the QB", "we've stopped the run", etc., but I'm in agreement with you. I definately thought we'd see more fireworks in the backfield. It's definately been a more cerebral attack than I expected.

We were told before Gregg Williams was ever hired that he was going to use an aggressive, blitz heavy scheme. Well it's been a little more aggressive than Gary Gibbs pitiful "read and react" scheme. But the Saints have had quick early leads in both their first two games so there hasn't been much need to overly aggressive.

In both games there was also an early big play to a WR from a blown coverage. After that big play Williams seemed to have the DBs play deeper keeping everything in front of them to prevent anymore big plays. But that meant there was a lot open underneath which both Stafford and Kolb used to pad their numbers. It was frustrating to watch these guys rack up lots of yards but all the dink and dunk burned the clock but didn't lead to quick scores which might've gotten them back in the game.

Focus number one with Williams D has clearly been shutting down the run. They've been successful. There is sort of a pass rush. Occasionally Ellis, Hargrove, and even guys like Grant and Smith create a little pressure and force an early throw. This team lacks an elite pass rusher and it shows when opposing QBs have all day to find receivers. If not for greatly improved play from the corners and Darren Sharper I think the D would look pretty much like 07-08.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom