3 safeties: soggy bandage or stroke of genius? (1 Viewer)

RiverRat

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Are we trying to just make ends meet where injuries and a lack of talent have left a hole, or is the 3rd safety a position of its own that has served as way of having a more open playbook with sub packages being on the field for the majority of the game?

Defending the passing game that the NFL wants ...and still having tackling ability against run.

Until we hit on a LB that can cover side line to side line and run with a TE....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Personally, I think that it's a good idea considering the evolution of the passing game in the NFL. We have to find the right personnel though. The more cover guys you can have on the field the better. Vaccaro and Bell can do it all! We just need to find the 3rd cog.

Personally, I think that it's a good idea considering the evolution of the passing game in the NFL. We have to find the right personnel though. The more cover guys you can have on the field the better. Vaccaro and Bell can do it all! We just need to find the 3rd cog.

Perhaps a Jamal Adams?

If the top pass rushers are gone.

I think a few years ago it was a strategy. This year I think it had a lot to due with lack of LBs and CBs due to injuries and S. Anthony. The coaches did try to sell it as a strategy again this year and a lot of writers try to as well, but I didn't buy it. I hoped it would work, and it did to a degree. It kept D. Harris and S. Anthony off the field a good bit.

And getting pressure relies on the receivers being covered for at least a couple seconds.

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing a safety to be that 3rd cog in the 2nd round after getting the edge guy we need in the 1st. Said this in a different thread but I like Budda Baker, he can play nickel, cover and blitz is just a bit undersized with good ball skills drawing comparisons to the Honey Badger.

So possibly cloud would be
1st Edge: Barnett/Williams/Mckinnely
2nd S Budda Baker

Soon we'll be running the 3-3-5 stack
with a bandit position.

I think the 3 safety formations are just a part of the ever evolving NFL. Today's game has gone totally pass insane, and hybrid players, who were once frowned upon, are now the premium. These days, the 3rd S is usually a dude who can play either CB/S or LB/S. Or in the case of Vaccaro, S/CB/LB. The future is now.

The fact that the Saints haven't been able to consistently get 3 good CBs on the field has been a big part of the issue with pass defense. The 3rd safety has been a better player than the 3rd/4th CB. Gotta fix that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom