Article 3 years later (1 Viewer)

It’s been very apparent for a while now that the NFL is content with a segment of its fanbase feeling the way that some of us do (that the outcomes of certain games are predetermined and hence not real).

There’s a number of factors in play that have allowed the NFL to for the lack of a better word(s) “get away” with the horrible officiating mistakes which in some instances create a clear competitive advantage and impact the outcomes of games.

The NFL fanbase has changed over the past 15 years. I’ve come to realize that the majority of NFL fans these days are sheep that will consume story lines and flashy propaganda. We (diehard football fans, majority of SR members) are now the minority.

The bulk of these WWE fans as I like to call them are less interested in the details of the offseason, roster develop, the inner workings of a franchise, or the intricacies of the game. These are the same fans that will show up to games late and leave in the 3rd quarter because they have another event to attend.

We’ve all been to someone’s house for a “watch” party and the majority in attendance are there to consume food and BS rather than care about the outcome of the game. To call these fans “fair weather” fans would be inaccurate because fair weather fans at least follow the team when they’re winning. No, these fans are more like “fad fans” that use the NFL games as an excuse to participate in by watching or buying merchandise because it’s the popular thing to do.

Because the NFL fan base is so flooded with these fad fans that continue to digest an inferior product, buy merchandise and tune their TVs into the games the NFL profits continue to rise. Which aids in perpetuating the mentality among Goodell and yes the owners that “their” product is just fine.

Let’s face it boys and girls, we are now the minority in the NFL fanbase pool. We care about the integrity of the game, we care about competitive advantages that are handed to some teams but not others, we care about games being played on the field with non scripted outcomes.

Unfortunately, many of today’s “fans” don’t care about any of those things. The NFL owners might hem and haw when their team gets screwed over but when they see the profit margins at the end of the year they quickly pipe down and tote the party line and keep the clown employed.

For diehard fans like many on SR our only hope is for the even bigger money of the Gambling world and the Vegas sports books to apply pressure when they lose big money on game outcomes that get shifted because of horrible officiating and lack of accountability by the NFL. With no real competition, the monopoly that is the NFL will continue to claim that they’re the best entertainment in town, not the best or fairest game in town.

I agree with a lot that you say, especially about "fad fans". Maybe they can be called, "fantasy football fans". Many "fans" only care about their fantasy team, and the money they invested in it. What happens to a specific team doesn't matter as long as their player isn't affected. These fans don't have that tie to a team, and this is glorious for the NFL.

It’s been very apparent for a while now that the NFL is content with a segment of its fanbase feeling the way that some of us do (that the outcomes of certain games are predetermined and hence not real).

There’s a number of factors in play that have allowed the NFL to for the lack of a better word(s) “get away” with the horrible officiating mistakes which in some instances create a clear competitive advantage and impact the outcomes of games.

The NFL fanbase has changed over the past 15 years. I’ve come to realize that the majority of NFL fans these days are sheep that will consume story lines and flashy propaganda. We (diehard football fans, majority of SR members) are now the minority.

The bulk of these WWE fans as I like to call them are less interested in the details of the offseason, roster develop, the inner workings of a franchise, or the intricacies of the game. These are the same fans that will show up to games late and leave in the 3rd quarter because they have another event to attend.

We’ve all been to someone’s house for a “watch” party and the majority in attendance are there to consume food and BS rather than care about the outcome of the game. To call these fans “fair weather” fans would be inaccurate because fair weather fans at least follow the team when they’re winning. No, these fans are more like “fad fans” that use the NFL games as an excuse to participate in by watching or buying merchandise because it’s the popular thing to do.

Because the NFL fan base is so flooded with these fad fans that continue to digest an inferior product, buy merchandise and tune their TVs into the games the NFL profits continue to rise. Which aids in perpetuating the mentality among Goodell and yes the owners that “their” product is just fine.

Let’s face it boys and girls, we are now the minority in the NFL fanbase pool. We care about the integrity of the game, we care about competitive advantages that are handed to some teams but not others, we care about games being played on the field with non scripted outcomes.

Unfortunately, many of today’s “fans” don’t care about any of those things. The NFL owners might hem and haw when their team gets screwed over but when they see the profit margins at the end of the year they quickly pipe down and tote the party line and keep the clown employed.

For diehard fans like many on SR our only hope is for the even bigger money of the Gambling world and the Vegas sports books to apply pressure when they lose big money on game outcomes that get shifted because of horrible officiating and lack of accountability by the NFL. With no real competition, the monopoly that is the NFL will continue to claim that they’re the best entertainment in town, not the best or fairest game in town.

This is a great post, like historically great, spot-on to a T. What was once a game with integrity and dignity (especially when Pete Rozelle was commish) has gone to full blown entertainment now.

I think evidence of the fad fans existence (not trying to offend anyone here) is the high ratings those moronic yell and scream shows get. It's no longer about the product on the field, not even close, it's the network "personalities" that get all the ratings. How is Stephen A going to react? OMG.....there is very little real analysis going on anymore (Baldy, etc) and what there is doesn't get ratings....I get that some folks (my sons included) sometime watch them for pure amusement but they just sicken the old man in me....(I remember when Ron Jawarski did real analysis)

I used to think (and to some extent still do) that large scale legal gambling would ruin the game. Now it may be the only thing that can save it from itself....the owners are the real culprits here, as long as the money is flowing I feel they could care less about the actual product....Goodell is just an extension of what they want....I never thought I would ever stop watching the NFL but I'm closer to that now than I ever thought I would be....

And many more lost their passion. Forever.
This. That fundamentally changed the way so many Saints fans feel about their team and the sport. It will never be the same for me. I've been able to get over all of the other soul crushing losses because there was always something you could point your finger at like the Saints not being able to tackle Beast Mode, Jenkins & Harper not being able to contain Vernon Davis or Marcus Williams forgetting how to play football for a moment.

The outcome of those games were determined by our mistakes and great plays by the opposition. The outcome of the no call game was determined by the most blatant, inexplicable no call in NFL history. I don't want to hear anything about the rest of the game. If that call is made we're going back to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
This. That fundamentally changed the way so many Saints fan feel about their team and the sport. It will never be the same for me. I've been able to get over all of the other soul crushing losses because there was always something you could point your finger at like the Saints not being able to tackle Beast Mode, Jenkins & Harper not being able to contain Vernon Davis or Marcus Williams forgetting how to play football for a moment.

The outcome of those games were determined by our mistakes and great plays by the opposition. The outcome of the no call game was determined by the most blatant, inexplicable no call in NFL history. I don't want to hear anything about the rest of the game. If that call is made we're going back to the Super Bowl.
💯. Well stated.

What ever happened to the notion of "home cooking"?

Every possible 50/50 call that could have gone our way in the 2009 NFCCG.....did.

To me that particular pass interference gets (should get?) called even if the game had been in L.A., so how in the world doesn't it get called in the Superdome?

For diehard fans like many on SR our only hope is for the even bigger money of the Gambling world and the Vegas sports books to apply pressure when they lose big money on game outcomes that get shifted because of horrible officiating and lack of accountability by the NFL.
Agree with everything you said with the exception of one. IF the NFL fixes certain games (and I absolutely believe they do), there is not even a small part of me that doesn't believe the sports betting giants aren't at least privy to it, if not actually in on it. At least to the point where they don't lose big money. That and I've always thought that sports gambling was fixed using the spread that shifts up and down as more bettors bet a certain way. Not sure they could actually "lose big" with their systems in place.

I'd think that sports betting agencies "win" regardless. How much they win is determined by how many people bet how much money. And I'd guess that just like the NFL team owners, they make more money when more people are engaged in a match up. Where a Superbowl with the Dolphins vs the Bucs probably wouldn't generate as much interest as NY vs LA or GB vs the Bills. But that's not only limited to Superbowls. Regular season games, rankings, and standings can get more gamblers interested in certain games week to week. Take the high flying Buffalo Bills playing the worst team in the NFL... the Jaguars. 14 point spread? Eazy-Peezy! Bills are going to plant a 40 burger on them and pull starters at the beginning of the 4th quarter. So a huge number of bets are dropped on the Bills covering. And then Sunday comes around and the Jaguars win 9 to 6. I'll buy that "Any Given Sunday" line most of the time, but there are games where anybody paying attention is going to know something isn't right.

So no, our greatest hope isn't for Vegas to come at the league. The only chance that anything ever changes depends on a "group" of whistleblowers. Like more than a handful of current or former NFL officials spilling the beans. I say a "group" because the NFL spin-machine is military grade. One or two tattle-tails would easily be mopped over. Their careers, possibly even their lives ruined.

Agree with everything you said with the exception of one. IF the NFL fixes certain games (and I absolutely believe they do), there is not even a small part of me that doesn't believe the sports betting giants aren't at least privy to it, if not actually in on it. At least to the point where they don't lose big money. That and I've always thought that sports gambling was fixed using the spread that shifts up and down as more bettors bet a certain way. Not sure they could actually "lose big" with their systems in place.

I'd think that sports betting agencies "win" regardless. How much they win is determined by how many people bet how much money. And I'd guess that just like the NFL team owners, they make more money when more people are engaged in a match up. Where a Superbowl with the Dolphins vs the Bucs probably wouldn't generate as much interest as NY vs LA or GB vs the Bills. But that's not only limited to Superbowls. Regular season games, rankings, and standings can get more gamblers interested in certain games week to week. Take the high flying Buffalo Bills playing the worst team in the NFL... the Jaguars. 14 point spread? Eazy-Peezy! Bills are going to plant a 40 burger on them and pull starters at the beginning of the 4th quarter. So a huge number of bets are dropped on the Bills covering. And then Sunday comes around and the Jaguars win 9 to 6. I'll buy that "Any Given Sunday" line most of the time, but there are games where anybody paying attention is going to know something isn't right.

So no, our greatest hope isn't for Vegas to come at the league. The only chance that anything ever changes depends on a "group" of whistleblowers. Like more than a handful of current or former NFL officials spilling the beans. I say a "group" because the NFL spin-machine is military grade. One or two tattle-tails would easily be mopped over. Their careers, possibly even their lives ruined.
Wonderful post imo.

I think even if 2/3 of the league (players coaches etc) came out and said the league was scripted, many fans would still not believe.

The thing is, the way vegas works, they keep the money even on both sides, so they get paid no matter who wins.

What ever happened to the notion of "home cooking"?

Every possible 50/50 call that could have gone our way in the 2009 NFCCG.....did.

To me that particular pass interference gets (should get?) called even if the game had been in L.A., so how in the world doesn't it get called in the Superdome?

The tin-foil hat theory is that in 2009, the NFL wanted to have the "post-Katrina" Superbowl that was the plan-1B for 2006 (they ended up going with plan-1A). So for 2009 they wanted the City ravaged by the Hurricane's team playing the New Orleans boy for the Lombardi while there was still some remaining national interest in it. For 3 years, at least 2 or 3 times during a Saints game, they cut to sad music and black and white photos/videos showing people stranded on bridges, flooded streets, destroyed homes, destroyed Superdome, etc...

The 2nd part of the "theory" is that the New Orleans boy was supposed to win, but Sean Payton and the Saints didn't "play along" with the script, stealing the game at exactly the right time to where the officials couldn't un-do it. (And that's why the Saints keep getting jobbed to this day)

"home cooking" had nothing to do with it. Same with the no-call game. All 32 owners stand to cash in tons of millions more than they already do if they can somehow get the 2nd largest city in the United States even "partly" engaged with a local NFL football team. And they had just built a gazillion dollar football stadium there and up-rooted 2 teams with small market but loyal fanbases to make that happen. Sticking it to the Saints? Heck, they'd already stuck it to St. Louis and San Diego... Crapping on little market New Orleans doesn't even move the needle nationally. That was a no-brainer.

One thing I disagree with the article however... Everything in my soul tells me the refs didn't blow the no-call (or the hit to the head Drew took on the INT in overtime that wasn't called either). The writer says the league should have immediately called down to the head official and told them to drop the flag. No, they called down alright and told him to stop the other ref from throwing that flag he was grabbing for. You can actually see the quick communication between them when you watch the video of the no-call from several camera angles.

I agree with a lot that you say, especially about "fad fans". Maybe they can be called, "fantasy football fans". Many "fans" only care about their fantasy team, and the money they invested in it. What happens to a specific team doesn't matter as long as their player isn't affected. These fans don't have that tie to a team, and this is glorious for the NFL.
And I also agree with you about the fantasy football aspect of it. Nothing against fantasy sports because it actually can keep you engaged when your team is not relevant lol but yes, there are many more “fans” of the NFL because of fantasy football many of which watch the games with little to no interest on the product or the outcome as long as their players score fantasy points.

If you tune into the games on Sunday, you're one of the "sheep".

The only true way to hold them accountable is to stop watching/buying.

The 2nd part of the "theory" is that the New Orleans boy was supposed to win, but Sean Payton and the Saints didn't "play along" with the script, stealing the game at exactly the right time to where the officials couldn't un-do it. (And that's why the Saints keep getting jobbed to this day)
It makes for an interesting story, but here's the part where I would start to disagree with those theories.

Peyton had already won a SB 3 year prior. It doesn't make sense that there would be a greater appeal in "The New Orleans boy won a SB!! (again)" compared to "the actual team in New Orleans which had long been viewed as a losing franchise and had to undergo major renovations to their home stadium that once housed thousands of Katrina evacuees managed to win a title" On the contrary, I think the NFL got EXACTLY what they wanted in February 2010.

Now, whatever happened later, who knows.

It makes for an interesting story, but here's the part where I would start to disagree with those theories.

Peyton had already won a SB 3 year prior. It doesn't make sense that there would be a greater appeal in "The New Orleans boy won a SB!! (again)" compared to "the actual team in New Orleans which had long been viewed as a losing franchise and had to undergo major renovations to their home stadium that once housed thousands of Katrina evacuees managed to win a title" On the contrary, I think the NFL got EXACTLY what they wanted in February 2010.

Now, whatever happened later, who knows.
Having the Saints "there" would be part of the draw for the game itself. Winning is about building a legacy. There was no legacy being built at that time bigger than Manning.

Again, this is just a "theory" I've run across. And it would explain a lot... if not everything.

Having the Saints "there" would be part of the draw for the game itself. Winning is about building a legacy. There was no legacy being built at that time bigger than Manning.

Again, this is just a "theory" I've run across. And it would explain a lot... if not everything.

To me that angle would have been far better in 2006.

The '06 Saints simply weren't as good of a team as the '06 Colts, so it wouldn't have taken much "scripting" for the Saints to lose that SB to them.

If they really wanted that to happen, they should have "scripted" the Bears to lose at home to Seattle.............then Seattle comes to the Dome and loses the NFC title game to the Saints.......then the "1a" version of that story is a reality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom