30 for 30: Michael Vick (2 Viewers)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Part One airs tonight
=====================

You don’t have to forgive Michael Vick for dogfighting, but ESPN wants you to understand the context.

“Vick,” a two-part “30 for 30” documentary set to air Thursday with the second half premiering the following Thursday, takes a deep dive into the factors that surrounded the former NFL quarterback’s midcareer imprisonment, including race, poverty and sudden stardom and wealth. Among the complexities of his saga are the differing ways communities reacted to his arrest and lengthy sentence, and what to make of his football legacy.

Perhaps the biggest question, though, was raised by the documentary’s director, Stanley Nelson, in a phone interview Wednesday with The Post: “How does something that so many of us see as horribly cruel and torturous, how does anybody not see that?”

“And how, to some people, does this seem like something that’s not wrong?” Nelson added. “So we wanted to examine that.”...........

He was one of the QB's I feared the Saints playing the most. Right up there with Joe Montana, Steve Young and any rookie/backup looking for their 1st NFL win.

Slowchild actually looked at the numbers

It’s not as bad as it seems

One of the most jaw dropping athletes I ever saw.
As a kid I remember dog and chicken fighting (in the city), so that never really bothered me. To me it was a familiar tale of star (black) athlete getting a little too big for himself and getting a reality check. Before he got arrested I think he blew off a congressional hearing or something but there were warning signs. I'm glad he's making the most of his second chance.

Part One airs tonight
=====================

You don’t have to forgive Michael Vick for dogfighting, but ESPN wants you to understand the context.

“Vick,” a two-part “30 for 30” documentary set to air Thursday with the second half premiering the following Thursday, takes a deep dive into the factors that surrounded the former NFL quarterback’s midcareer imprisonment, including race, poverty and sudden stardom and wealth. Among the complexities of his saga are the differing ways communities reacted to his arrest and lengthy sentence, and what to make of his football legacy.

Perhaps the biggest question, though, was raised by the documentary’s director, Stanley Nelson, in a phone interview Wednesday with The Post: “How does something that so many of us see as horribly cruel and torturous, how does anybody not see that?”

“And how, to some people, does this seem like something that’s not wrong?” Nelson added. “So we wanted to examine that.”...........

Although I never went to a cockfight or dog fight, I knew people who did. I love dogs and have been a dog owner since childhood but I understand that it is a cultural thing. My Puerto Rican neighbors were astonished that he got jail time as they didn't think of it as big deal.

Main thing for me is that I think he genuinely repented. His apology didn't seem to be boiler plate or crafted by a PR person. This is opposed to a Baltimore player charged with murder and got off by blaming his friends. Never apologized and was rewarded with a statue.

Vick had the most god gifted talent I've ever seen in a football player. He's the second best natural runner I ever saw behind only Barry Sanders. With someone chasing him he's the fastest player I have ever seen at any position.

I hated to see him go down the road he went. People can say it's a cultural thing but what they did to those dogs, they knew it was wrong. You can't drown and electrocute dogs and then try to say it's just a cultural thing. The things they did to those animals shouldn't be a part of any culture on earth.

Vick had the most god gifted talent I've ever seen in a football player. He's the second best natural runner I ever saw behind only Barry Sanders. With someone chasing him he's the fastest player I have ever seen at any position.

I hated to see him go down the road he went. People can say it's a cultural thing but what they did to those dogs, they knew it was wrong. You can't drown and electrocute dogs and then try to say it's just a cultural thing. The things they did to those animals shouldn't be a part of any culture on earth.
I agree with you about the torture. I didn't really express that right about it being cultural. I knew a guy who had fighting chickens (didn't know if the correct word would get censored) and he took care of the roosters even after they couldn't fight anymore.
My main point was that I believed that he was truly sorry and not just for getting caught.

Well said, as a believer in Karma and reincarnation, I don't think Michael Vick's next life is going to be very pleasant....

I agree with you about the torture. I didn't really express that right about it being cultural. I knew a guy who had fighting chickens (didn't know if the correct word would get censored) and he took care of the roosters even after they couldn't fight anymore.
My main point was that I believed that he was truly sorry and not just for getting caught.

No I wasn't referring to your post. That's the argument I've heard from people though. That it's part of his culture and something other people just can't understand. Fighting dogs, and all types of animals, has been a part of a lot of cultures. But there's a reason it's illegal. It's barbaric and unnecessary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom