30 years + a few days (Hebert) (1 Viewer)

HobBeh

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score

A pioneer in free agency, though I doubt we liked it at the time.

"Like a good businessman, which in a capitalistic society you should be, I was just looking for the best deal," Hebert said Tuesday night.Hebert and the Saints refused to discuss the terms of the contract, but the Times-Picayune reported it was worth $2.7 million. The newspaper said Hebert would be paid $1.3 million in 1991 and $1.43 million in 1992, plus other incentive clauses based on personal and team successes.

I will never forget him flying like a Falcon in the Dome wearing a Falcons uniform. Now he says he is the father of the "who dat nation." So, I am not sure who the really Bobby Hebert is.
He did own the Dome Patrol, minus Swilling, which I don't think mattered in that year.

I will never forget him flying like a Falcon in the Dome wearing a Falcons uniform. Now he says he is the father of the "who dat nation." So, I am not sure who the really Bobby Hebert is.

Did you expect him to retire when we blamed the 1992 playoff loss on him and didn’t re-sign him? We signed Wade Wilson. We stunk. And he rubbed our noses in it.

Are you okay with Morten? We cut him. Tried to sign him back cheaper the next day but he signed with Atlanta instead. We were cheap. We shopped in the bargain bins and it showed.

Did you expect him to retire when we blamed the 1992 playoff loss on him and didn’t re-sign him? We signed Wade Wilson. We stunk. And he rubbed our noses in it.

Are you okay with Morten? We cut him. Tried to sign him back cheaper the next day but he signed with Atlanta instead. We were cheap. We shopped in the bargain bins and it showed.
Sorry but I hold it against any of our former players that signed with Atlanta. They're former saints....with an asterisk.

And yet we still had a better record than the Falcons that year.

He made a lot of money and made me forever hate his guts. Worked out better for him I’m sure. But this is sports, Hebert will always be traitor poop in my book.

That’s fine. But by those standards so are Morten Anderson, Rickey Jackson, Sam Mills, Joe Horn, etc.

He made a lot of money and made me forever hate his guts. Worked out better for him I’m sure. But this is sports, Hebert will always be traitor poop in my book.

Football is a sport, but it's also a business.

Its okay to be a diehard fan and have some perspective. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I remember that signing like it was yesterday.......could not believe it......we signed Wade Wilson and thought the sky was falling. Swilling got traded and our legendary 4-linebacker core was broken up. I was heartbroken.

My love for the Saints as a young kid started with the dome patrol, Bobby Hebert and an English kicker named Morten Anderson.

1993 season started out great, going 5-0 and beating the 49ers in week 4 with a last-second Morten Anderson kick, thinking we have a Super Bowl shot! Who needs Hebert!

Then we got steam-rolled in Pittsburgh in week 6, Wade Wilson finally showed his age, we fizzled out at 8-8 and nuclear winter hit for the rest of the decade. By the end of the decade, I was wishing for an aged Wade Wilson and a washed-up slant throwing Hebert instead of the horror that was Heath Shuler and Billy Joe Hobert.

Still was depressing to see Hebert in a Falcons uniform and then see Morten Anderson kick the Falcons into the Super Bowl a few years later.

Last edited:
I was talking to Bobby WHILE the Falcons were signing the contract! W/a straight face he told me the contract was a done deal, after we had been talking on & off all night. The next morning reading the Trib I almost lost my coffee!
Took years to get over that.
Morton was worse, I used to talk to him 3-4x per week, even offseason. His apt was right over the restaurant. He moved out to ATL w/no word. Another crushing blow.e

i don’t blame any player for getting as much as they can while they are in the game but above was a low class move.

And it’s become quite clear over the years he is a loud mouth idiot and a dolt...I still can’t believe he has a job in local sports media....

This thread was about when he returned in 1991. Something I posted in USFL thread was that, before he left, he wanted the Saints to get Anthony Carter. Imagine that happening, and not the Steve Walsh trade.

This thread was about when he returned in 1991. Something I posted in USFL thread was that, before he left, he wanted the Saints to get Anthony Carter. Imagine that happening, and not the Steve Walsh trade.
It’s a good thought, but if he would have had Jerry Rice, he was still Bobby Hebert. Not much would have changed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom