30 years since Hebert holdout (2 Viewers)

noser222

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Sticky Post
What if not? What if they settled their differences? Would the 1990 team have been as good or better than the 1991/1992 teams? Asking for a friend.

Reaction score
like the Jim Mora thread I made that stated he was not a good coach.

Not only was the Walsh trade bad, look at the drafts, seriously go look at them. You see why once Mills, Johnson, Swilling, and Jackson left or became too old why that team fell off a cliff so fast, and also why Mike Ditka inherited a mess despite the fact he wasnt going to do much better.

Had Bobby not held out, we probably beat Chicago. if my seeding is correct they would of traveled to San Fran who had the 1 seed, I dont think they would of gotten out of the divisional with that game.

But possibly would of been most successful team under Mora only for that 1 playoff win against a very terrible offense in chicago.

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score
It actually does not, since Mayes was not on the '91 team.
I now see you are talking about one year. I'm talking about the talent that Bobby the Boob had around him during his Saints career. I stick to my previous post. Squandered the best LB corps to ever play and not sniff a SB. Hebert (in his Saints career) was fools gold, at best.

OP
OP

noser222

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I now see you are talking about one year. I'm talking about the talent that Bobby the Boob had around him during his Saints career. I stick to my previous post. Squandered the best LB corps to ever pay and not sniff a SB. Hebert (in his Saints career) was fools gold, at best.
Mayes and Hilliard (love them) but only one 1000 yard season each.
And I am talking about 1990-1992...when the defense was best in NFL. Not 1987-1989, when it was in the top tier but not the best.

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score
Mayes and Hilliard (love them) but only one 1000 yard season each.
And I am talking about 1990-1992...when the defense was best in NFL. Not 1987-1989, when it was in the top tier but not the best.
Like I said, when the QB isn't a threat....

Stop the run and make them beat you with the pass.

OP
OP

noser222

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Like I said, when the QB isn't a threat....
I am pointing out that the Saints did not have both a great running game and great defense (at the same time) when Hebert was QB.
Eric Martin was a top possession receiver, but Quinn Early was a guy. Floyd Turner was a guy (but nice if he had not been hurt in '92). Brett Perriman probably didn't get it together until he went to Detroit.

Reaction score
Mora regime squandered alot of talent, keeping mediocre talent often in place for years.

Hilliard should of been comparable to how Bush or Pierre was for us. Best thing we had was Eric Martin and he wasnt drafted by Mora. I believe the whole Steve Walsh BS was a big influence from the propaganda bought on by the 88 LSU vs Miami game where Miami destroyed LSU and WWL TV was literally hanging from the Miami sacks after that beating.

OP
OP

noser222

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Mora regime squandered alot of talent, keeping mediocre talent often in place for years.

Hilliard should of been comparable to how Bush or Pierre was for us. Best thing we had was Eric Martin and he wasnt drafted by Mora. I believe the whole Steve Walsh BS was a big influence from the propaganda bought on by the 88 LSU vs Miami game where Miami destroyed LSU and WWL TV was literally hanging from the Miami sacks after that beating.
I was at that rain game at age 11...that rain was rolling from the nosebleeds.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
ahem...

WRs
Eric Martin
Quin Early

RBs
Dalton Hillard
Craig "Iron Head" Heyward
Martin and Early were not on the team at the same time. both good but not good enough to overcome being the only guy. And the good running backs were long gone or past their prime by this time. The knocks on Bobby are well deserved but really they should be spread to the entire O during this period.

we had smothering D and field goals in a division that had West Coast offense when nobody else had it. That doesn’t cut it.

OP
OP

noser222

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Martin and Early were not on the team at the same time. both good but not good enough to overcome being the only guy. And the good running backs were long gone or past their prime by this time. The knocks on Bobby are well deserved but really they should be spread to the entire O during this period.
Martin and Early were on the '91 to '93 teams, but Hebert left after '92.

Kenna Kid

kenna kid
Reaction score
I don't disagree with any of this, but that still doesn't change what I typed or even remove my "lol" at the OPs question about the team's fortunes with Bobby on the field. At no time was Bobby ever a catalyst for victory. At his best, he managed to not **** up enough to let Morton and the defense win the game.
Instead of putting a inept offense at the hands of Bobby lets not forget the poor offensive schemes led by one of the worst offensive coordinator in the history of Saints football , Carl Smith and his horrible play calling.

Zardnok

Zardnokalicious!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Regardless of what Hebert has "meant" to the Saints, I can not get over him flapping his arms across the Superdome turf wearing an Atlanta uniform. Founding father of the Who Dat nation MY BUTT!

Sadly, he still continues to embarrass us with his drunken ramblings and rude interjections on the radio.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom