30 years since Hebert holdout (1 Viewer)

noser222

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Sticky Post
What if not? What if they settled their differences? Would the 1990 team have been as good or better than the 1991/1992 teams? Asking for a friend.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
I "love" the hate of Bobby Hebert, but there is NO Quarterback in NFL history who could have possibly overcome the play-calling of Carl Smith. NONE! I could sit in the stands and call the next play, based on down, distance and formation. Hebert, for the most part, did not have the authority to just change plays at the line, and if he did, it was only to a check-down play that the Defense ALSO had covered cold.

Carl Smith was the heaviest albatross ever associated with the Saints, it is not even close. Jim Mora should have fired him countless times, but was too "loyal" to do so.

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jim Mora was a very good coach. His misfortune was playing in the same division as San Francisco. Admittedly, he was too conservative on offense.

He was adversely affected by the passing of Jim Finks, who provided stability to the organization. Mora needed a strong general manager. The death of Finks left a void that was never filled. At the end, Mora had totally burned out. He never should have returned his last year.

And as much as I admired Finks, who was the first choice of most owners to replace Rozelle as commissioner but was blocked by new owners like Jerry Jones, the Walsh trade killed our championship aspirations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Krodwhodat Everything Else Board 26