30 years since Hebert holdout (1 Viewer)

Regardless of what Hebert has "meant" to the Saints, I can not get over him flapping his arms across the Superdome turf wearing an Atlanta uniform. Founding father of the Who Dat nation MY BUTT!

Sadly, he still continues to embarrass us with his drunken ramblings and rude interjections on the radio.

Regardless of what Hebert has "meant" to the Saints, I can not get over him flapping his arms across the Superdome turf wearing an Atlanta uniform. Founding father of the Who Dat nation MY BUTT!

Sadly, he still continues to embarrass us with his drunken ramblings and rude interjections on the radio.
He was a pro bowler when he flapped his arms.

He was a pro bowler when he flapped his arms.
Regardless, it was classless and showed his true character. He could have come in as the "jilted hero", won the game for the Falcon's, and simply waved to the crowd as he ran off the field. Instead he flapped around like an idiot and threw it in everyone's face. His performances on WWL are embarrassing and cringe-worthy. His drunken ramblings should not represent the Who Dat nation, sure many of us get drunk and ramble, but we don't denigrate our own players and wish they are significantly injured enough to go to IR.

Yeah well that's kind of my point, and if you re-evaluate "good" in that era you will gain an appreciation.

Starting NFL QBs in that era include Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jim Everette, Jim Kelly, Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, John Elway, Rich Gannon, Boomer Esiasan, Bernie Kosar, Troy Aikman, a probably a lot more that I am forgetting. All were much better than Hebert. At his best Hebert was an average game manager. At his worst, he was bad. Hebert was 27th is passing yards and had 9 TDs and 8 Interceptions in 1991. That's how I define bad.

All I know is every time I go back and watch Bobby in those classic games, he makes Cam Newton look like Drew Brees when it comes to accuracy. You wonder if he would have had a good year in 1990 because he supposedly had a good year in 1992? If you're going to ask about 1990, then you should probably go back to 1989 to see what his stats were then.

Comp% - 62.9
Yds - 2686
YPG - 191.9
TDs - 15
INT - 15
Sacks - 22

Those are not the stats of a QB that is worthy of a hold out, even in that era. I certainly don't blame the Saints front office for not wanting to pay him.

His stats in 1992 were better, but still not what I would call good.

Comp% - 59.0
Yds - 3287
YPG - 205.4
TDs - 19
INT - 16
Sacks - 15

I will give you this. The Fourcade/Walsh combo didn't do any better in 1990, they had a worse TD to INT ratio and Comp %. But the Saints made it to the playoffs that year like they did every year during that era. On the backs of the defense and the running game. I don't think 1990 Bobby Hebert gets them any further.

Starting NFL QBs in that era include Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jim Everette, Jim Kelly, Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, John Elway, Rich Gannon, Boomer Esiasan, Bernie Kosar, Troy Aikman, a probably a lot more that I am forgetting. All were much better than Hebert. At his best Hebert was an average game manager. At his worst, he was bad. Hebert was 27th is passing yards and had 9 TDs and 8 Interceptions in 1991. That's how I define bad.

Quaterback record of 8-1 in 1991. We were 3-4 in the games he didn't start that year.

I never forgave him for that....

... and I still don't.

All I know is every time I go back and watch Bobby in those classic games, he makes Cam Newton look like Drew Brees when it comes to accuracy. You wonder if he would have had a good year in 1990 because he supposedly had a good year in 1992? If you're going to ask about 1990, then you should probably go back to 1989 to see what his stats were then.

Comp% - 62.9
Yds - 2686
YPG - 191.9
TDs - 15
INT - 15
Sacks - 22

Those are not the stats of a QB that is worthy of a hold out, even in that era. I certainly don't blame the Saints front office for not wanting to pay him.

His stats in 1992 were better, but still not what I would call good.

Comp% - 59.0
Yds - 3287
YPG - 205.4
TDs - 19
INT - 16
Sacks - 15

I will give you this. The Fourcade/Walsh combo didn't do any better in 1990, they had a worse TD to INT ratio and Comp %. But the Saints made it to the playoffs that year like they did every year during that era. On the backs of the defense and the running game. I don't think 1990 Bobby Hebert gets them any further.
I go by adjusted net yards per attempt (see profootballreference) which takes into account all the stats including sacks. In 1992 he was second in the league to Steve Young. He was never gonna have big yardage because that Saints offense was a clock milker. Yes the INT count is what it is, but the 1992 Saints were throwing the intermediate passes well until the 3rd quarter of the Eagles playoff game.

Because I'm old enough to remember all that, it's always interesting to me to hear him take sides on player contract issues when he's on the radio. He talks about "skins on the wall," which is noble and good and all, but the 1990 version of Hebert and the Saints in general were winless in the playoffs and skinless overall. Yes, the way the organization was run back then had a big hand in that, too......but bottom lines are bottom lines.

The team had no big time running back or complementary receiver except for a hint of Floyd Turner. By this, I mean the 1991-1992 team with the best defenses.
I'm pretty sure the 1991-1992 team has Quinn Early and Eric Martin at WR. The Ironhead was the best RB but received few carries. This changes nothing about Hebert's career as a Saints QB though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom