30 years since Hebert holdout (1 Viewer)

Jim Henderson used to say that the Saints gave up a ‘Lawrence Welk’ to get Steve Walsh.. they gave up “a ONE, and a TWO, and a THREE...”

Apologies to those under 35, who most likely wont get that reference.
I'm on the wrong side of 40 and I didn't get it. I must've been mad my parents put the News on.

Couple of things about the Hebert holdout...

If Hebert doesn't hold out, we don't make the trade with Dallas and give up those 1991 and 1992 early draft picks. Now what would we have done with those picks? If other Saints draft history at the time is any indication, not much but you never know. 1993 was not a terrible draft. We drafted Willie Roaf. With the extra draft picks, maybe the 1993-1995 years are a little different. Doubtful but possible.

Second, remember the situation at the time. Hebert started 1989 out pretty good. A midseason slump led to his being benched by Jim Mora in favor of John Fourcade who gave the team false hope for 1990 and emboldened Jim Finks to let Hebert sit 1990 out. If Hebert doesn't hold out, does he beat out Fourcade in training camp when there are extended views of players? I'm thinking he does but Mora was stubborn. You don't know what could have happened.
They gave up all that because Walsh came in and killed LSU 2 years earlier, Saints FO catered to hype more than anything back in these years. They took Buddy Ds advice to hire Ditka, Buddy D wasnt much for knowing about the Saints or Football in general either despite what many believe, die hard fan though? certainly.

What would they done with the draft picks had they not wasted them on Walsh? Nothing. Mora could not draft and only could stumble on a gem once in a blue moon.

Then they got Jim (Chris) Everett and that was a failure, by this point everyone saw exactly what Mora was about, had he not had the dome patrol, he would of went the same direction as Mike Ditka.

Mora took a team that was historically the league's armpit and turned it into a winner. Criticism of his flaws are fair game but LOL at "he's not a good coach."

We may never know if another coach came in would they done the same things or better?

Mora walked into a team that was pretty dominant built off what Bum Philips drafted prior to Mora.

Hes not a good coach, what did he do with the Colts?

I "love" the hate of Bobby Hebert, but there is NO Quarterback in NFL history who could have possibly overcome the play-calling of Carl Smith. NONE! I could sit in the stands and call the next play, based on down, distance and formation. Hebert, for the most part, did not have the authority to just change plays at the line, and if he did, it was only to a check-down play that the Defense ALSO had covered cold.

Carl Smith was the heaviest albatross ever associated with the Saints, it is not even close. Jim Mora should have fired him countless times, but was too "loyal" to do so.

Jim Mora was a very good coach. His misfortune was playing in the same division as San Francisco. Admittedly, he was too conservative on offense.

He was adversely affected by the passing of Jim Finks, who provided stability to the organization. Mora needed a strong general manager. The death of Finks left a void that was never filled. At the end, Mora had totally burned out. He never should have returned his last year.

And as much as I admired Finks, who was the first choice of most owners to replace Rozelle as commissioner but was blocked by new owners like Jerry Jones, the Walsh trade killed our championship aspirations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom