34 points isn't enough (1 Viewer)

Sorry, didn't read this entire thread. I got to your post, and i have only one question; is he not the Head Coach of a team that consistently fields a terrible defense every year?

He is the head coach of a team that has struggled defensively lately, sure. The point I was addressing was the assertion that we know exactly how much input he has over defensive play calling now as well as a few years ago.

Would you please let us know how much Coach Payton had to do with calling today's defense?

Well, the question is (and I don't know the answer), whose decision was to bring Dennis Allen as DC? Liter's post above is right: who thought Dennis Allen was qualified for the DC position, given his track record in the NFL?

If Payton wanted and ok'd Allen, well, he's at the very least an accomplice to the crime.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I hate to be the guy who says "I told you so" in this type of situation. I'd prefer to be proven wrong, and I surely hope I am proven wrong as the season progresses, but I was against the Allen hiring when it first was mentioned, and the performance today, kind of gives validity to my concerns.

Just common sense. There is no difference b/t a field goal at the 2 or 7 percentage wise. Both are virtually statsitically the same chances of being made. You ASSume knowing what a coach thinks....and then write adolescent quips about people being clairvoyant. Please stop :rolleyes:

By all means, find the coach who thinks moving backwards is a good idea. The person doing the ASSuming here is you.

Well, the question is (and I don't know the answer), whose decision was to bring Dennis Allen as DC? Liter's post above is right: who thought Dennis Allen was qualified for the DC position, given his track record in the NFL?

If Payton wanted and ok'd Allen, well, he's at the very least an accomplice to the crime.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I hate to be the guy who says "I told you so" in this type of situation. I'd prefer to be proven wrong, and I surely hope I am proven wrong as the season progresses, but I was against the Allen hiring when it first was mentioned, and the performance today, kind of gives validity to my concerns.

The assertion I was replying to was that Payton needed to have less to do with the defense--"handing it over" to someone else. My comment was simply pointing out that we have no idea how much Payton has to do with the defense now or ever. I agree that he is responsible for coaching hires. Who else would be?

At what point do we take a look at Vonn Bell at FS? Byrd doesn't make any plays and his positioning on the 75 yard TD run was horrific (as we've seen in Dallas game)
This. ^^^ The coaches aren't the ones on the field. Jairus Byrds main repondsibility is to not let the runner get past him. And where was he? Plus, where was the run defense not just on the 75 yd run but the entire second half. We sure could have used Ellerbe today.

By all means, find the coach who thinks moving backwards is a good idea. The person doing the ASSuming here is you.

Wow.....well I won't stoop down to your level again and respond other than this: since you seem to know so much - do you know the percentage difference in probability of making a field goal from the 7 or 2 yd line? Or even any distance inside the 20?

Take that percentage chance and compare it to the likely hood of us getting in field goal range with 40 seconds on the clock with or without a time out. Decision analytics are a big part of coaching. I'd be willing to bet coach Payton would like that timeout back. Moving backwards is never a good idea, but decisions are made in the context of the game. In that situation it is hard to justify that time out. But carry on.....I'm done feeding trolls for today.

Wow.....well I won't stoop down to your level again and respond other than this: since you seem to know so much - do you know the percentage difference in probability of making a field goal from the 7 or 2 yd line? Or even any distance inside the 20?

When the timeout was used, it was first down. We weren't thinking field goal then, were we?

I love your passive aggression, btw. I use the word you did, in the same way, and now you're playing the wounded? Ha!

At what point do we take a look at Vonn Bell at FS? Byrd doesn't make any plays and his positioning on the 75 yard TD run was horrific (as we've seen in Dallas game)

Couldn't agree more. Play Bell and let him learn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom