35 veteran defensive ends set to hit free agency (1 Viewer)

Ryan Kerrigan would be a nice 1-2 year addition depending on price. I also like Trent Murphy, Bruce Irvin, Tyrone Crawford, Ezekial Ansah, Autry, Wolfe, Marsh, and Gotis. All depending on price that is.

With that many DE’s hitting the market, that’s an extreme over saturation. It might make it easier to re-sign Trey.

At the same time, how many of those guys got over 10+ sacks. While I don't necessarily agree with it the league pays a premium for players that reach that number, even just once. I'd love T-Rex to take a home town discount but he was on a couple of weeks ago talking about being excited about free agency. Dreaming of that big payday. I don't blame him but I've already prepared myself that he's already gone so if he comes back it's just an awesome surprise.

At the same time, how many of those guys got over 10+ sacks. While I don't necessarily agree with it the league pays a premium for players that reach that number, even just once. I'd love T-Rex to take a home town discount but he was on a couple of weeks ago talking about being excited about free agency. Dreaming of that big payday. I don't blame him but I've already prepared myself that he's already gone so if he comes back it's just an awesome surprise.

Right, I think it’s more likely that the oversaturation allows us to find a suitable replacement at a lower price. Someone who can come in and, like Trey, benefit from having a strong DLine around him.

Not saying whoever we sign will put up 13.5 sacks. But we will be able to find a cheaper option to compete with Granderson, Spence, etc and provide depth than we would have otherwise.

With that many DE’s hitting the market, that’s an extreme over saturation. It might make it easier to re-sign Trey.
I agree with RevDeuce, Trey is younger than all those guys listed and had a much better season while in a rotational role. Trey has steadily improved every season and blew up this past year. While I would love to see him take a home town discount or take a back loaded contract, like RevDeuce said I'm prepared to lose him but would be hysterically excited if somehow we do retain him.

Right, I think it’s more likely that the oversaturation allows us to find a suitable replacement at a lower price. Someone who can come in and, like Trey, benefit from having a strong DLine around him.

Not saying whoever we sign will put up 13.5 sacks. But we will be able to find a cheaper option to compete with Granderson, Spence, etc and provide depth than we would have otherwise.
Carl Granderson is a player I've been really hyped on for a couple of years and he really jumped up in technique last year. Still struggles in many areas, but he flashed some very advanced pass rush movesets. Can't wait to see him in camp.

I am not too concerned of T-Rex’s departure. He has earned his pay day, and for the investment, the Saints will have earned that 3rd-4th round compensatory pick it works out well for all parties.

Will his presence be missed along the defensive line? Of course, but to think that it won’t keep chugging along seems a bit naive. Granderson looks to be coming into his own, and “Two Firsts” when healthy is a solid addition. If we get another rotation player in during the draft or the offseason, we should maintain the production off the edges.

Carl Granderson is a player I've been really hyped on for a couple of years and he really jumped up in technique last year. Still struggles in many areas, but he flashed some very advanced pass rush movesets. Can't wait to see him in camp.

How normal is that? Flashing very advanced pass rush movesets while struggling in many areas.

I agree with RevDeuce, Trey is younger than all those guys listed and had a much better season while in a rotational role. Trey has steadily improved every season and blew up this past year. While I would love to see him take a home town discount or take a back loaded contract, like RevDeuce said I'm prepared to lose him but would be hysterically excited if somehow we do retain him.
I agree with you but my question is why did they have a picture of Trey in that article?

I can see us bringing Okafor back if he falls through.

How normal is that? Flashing very advanced pass rush movesets while struggling in many areas.

Depends. T-Rex was a guy, and still is, who was really good/flashed in one area and wasn't well rounded. You see it a lot in skill positions. WRs who are good at certain routes or passing concepts. CBs who struggle with Cover 3 Match but do Straight Tampa 2 Zone fine.

DL/OL tend to be more balanced. There are exceptions.

Not sure if you can remember, but how would you compare him to T-Rex at this point in their respective careers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom