3rd down and 10 deep pass to Meachem on final drive (1 Viewer)

Name another qb in this league who would throw a 50 yard pass on a critical 3rd and 10 in that situation.

Drew is insanely accurate.

man when Drew released that ball it seemed like everything was in slow motion. i was oh damn we are taking a big change on a must get 3rd down. then i see meach make a great catch and my heart starts to beat again lol.

Actually, that pass reminded me of the kind of throw Rex Grossman would have thrown.

/except of course, Sexy Rexy woulda farked it all up. :hihi:

Oh, I was not cursing Brees, I am just so conservative that calls like that scare me. Receiver drops it, or falls or is covered or Drew gets sacked. It just scared me, Sorry Drew for not having full confidence. Your powers still surprise me. :mwink:

I was right there with you, reacting the same way. I went from the OMG, WTH, to the YEAH!!! I just love Brees. We are so fortunate to have him as our QB. I firmly believe he is the all around best in the NFL, the whole package.

My only worry when Drew throws a deep pass (when he has protection) is that it comes up short.

Thankfully, the Meachem play dropped right in. Last year, Drew threw it deep more than anyone else (I'm talking ball in the air more than 20 yards), and he was by far the most accurate. Manning, Brady, ect weren't close. The only player who is consistantly on par or better than Drew with the deep ball is Philip Rivers. Only difference is when Rivers misses, its too much, and when Brees misses (and even when he connects sometimes) its too little.

I think they did the same thing on the game winning TD. I was fully expecting (as I'm sure Dallas was) them to run the ball and kill some clock. I'm sure that's why that play worked so well. I think Dallas was expecting the run, too. TD Moore!
This is in large part why we were so successful on offense last year. After we depantsed the Giants, their defense said, that they were confused a majority of the time because the Saints passed when they guessed run and ran when they guessed pass. We passed out of run formations and ran out of pass formations. They had absolutely NO idea of what was going on.

That is part of the genius of Payton, he knows when to throw monkey wrenches at opposing teams. They guess left and he goes right, zigs when they guess zags. I am truly appreaciative of this man as our offensive coach.

My only worry when Drew throws a deep pass (when he has protection) is that it comes up short.

Thankfully, the Meachem play dropped right in. Last year, Drew threw it deep more than anyone else (I'm talking ball in the air more than 20 yards), and he was by far the most accurate. Manning, Brady, ect weren't close. The only player who is consistantly on par or better than Drew with the deep ball is Philip Rivers. Only difference is when Rivers misses, its too much, and when Brees misses (and even when he connects sometimes) its too little.

Yeah he seems to be doing that a lot this year. I'm not sure if he is releasing it too late or what. Another thing that scares me is that sometimes (like on the flea flicker) he just throws it into triple coverage anyway. Wish instead of playing the odds that his receiver will come down with it that he would just toss it out of bounds.

Honestly I doubt there was anyone that wasn't holding their breath when that pass was in the air. I agree it was risky and I wouldn't have called it. I was of the mindset that we need to just get 10 yards.

Again, that's how I know I wouldn't be able to make the calls and decisions that Payton and Brees have to make for the Saints to be great. You just have to trust in them, even when we don't agree with what they do in the moment.

Honestly I doubt there was anyone that wasn't holding their breath when that pass was in the air.

I dunno if I held my breath. My eyes got real big and I stared screaming "OH F' YEAH!" when I saw how beautiful that pass arced from Drew to Meach.

I'm hard-pressed to remember the last regular season play as exciting as that.

The pass from Brees to Meachem last season at Fed-Ex Field that beat L'Ron Landry, and sent the game into OT (a game the Saints could have and maybe should have lost).

Love it or hate it, taking calculated risks is what sean payton does, especially in big games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom