4 FA Upgrades? from Walterfootball.com (1 Viewer)

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I must admit to not knowing much about them.

Chargers tender WR Danario Alexander (original level): MILLEN Grade
And we have our first Millen grade of the offseason. I usually don't grade tenders, but this was just such a moronic move that it's worth mentioning. Danario Alexander is a 24-year-old talent, who if healthy, is good enough to be a No. 1 receiver in this league. He's had injury issues over the years, but that's no reason to give him an original-round tender. This means that if any team signs him, San Diego would receive no draft-pick compensation for him. Why the Chargers wouldn't give him a first-, or at least a second-round tender is beyond me. If some team steals him away, Philip Rivers is going to be pretty ****** off.

Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, Browns. Age: 26

William Hayes, DE, Rams. Age: 28.
William Hayes could start for some teams, but he can't crack the lineup in St. Louis because of Chris Long and Robert Quinn. He's terrific against the run and can get to the quarterback on occasion

Patrick Chung, S, Patriots. Age: 26.
Patrick Chung missed several weeks in 2012 with multiple injuries, but he performed well when he was healthy, particularly in run support.

I can't see anyone breaking the bank for Alexander. This may have been a smart gamble by the Chargers.

Remind me, if someone signs him, the chargers have the power to offer the same deal and retain the player? And, say, in case they'd tendered him a 3rd round, if they decided not to give him the deal and he was picked up by another team, the chargers would receive a 3rd round pick from that team?

Cliff Avril is a bit of a one-trick pony. He is absolutely dominant when coming off the edge on a pass rush, but he can get lost in run defense.
Avril is probably better suited as 3-4 rush linebacker, but as a 4-3 defensive end, he has still amassed 39.5 sacks and 16 forced fumbles in his five-year career with the Detroit Lions.
Players with Avril's speed and versatility are hard to come by, so it is hard to see him not bringing in a massive contract this offseason. His value grows even greater when considering that he is only 26 years old and entering the prime of his career.
If Avril can balance out his game and become better at stopping the run, he could become one of the best defensive players in all of football.

The NFL's Best Free Agents at Every Position | Bleacher Report

Remind me, if someone signs him, the chargers have the power to offer the same deal and retain the player? And, say, in case they'd tendered him a 3rd round, if they decided not to give him the deal and he was picked up by another team, the chargers would receive a 3rd round pick from that team?

No read the post. Chargers would get zero

Jesus, i simply wanted to see if i remembered the rule correctly and so i put an hypothetical 3rd rounder in the situation. What's wrong with people's reading comprehension? Geez

We should try to strike gold with another Charger.
Alexander when healthy is lights out

It's really a dumb move for the Chargers considering Vincent Jackson is no longer in San Diego either. Plus Antonio Gates will be 33 when the season starts. LOL love the "Millen" grade

Jesus, i simply wanted to see if i remembered the rule correctly and so i put an hypothetical 3rd rounder in the situation. What's wrong with people's reading comprehension? Geez

You were correct. The Chargers still have the right of 1st refusal.

They can match any offer and keep him.

Geez, I'd love for the Saints to pick up Alexander. I live in an hour from Qualcomm and went to 4 Charger games this last season, I was very impressed with him, he's a bright spot on the Charger's roster. Saints have done pretty well with former Charger players, he would be great in NO..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom