4 or 5 Receivers this year? (1 Viewer)

rockthedox

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Like many, I assumed that Coleman will probably make the cut because he's solid enough to be a 4th or 5th receiver. TommyLee has outplayed him by far this preseason. What if we just roll with four? Cooks, Snead, Thomas, TommyLee.

We still have Fleener and Josh Hill and we've seen running backs like Spiller and Cadet line up wide. Kuhn and Ingram are also really solid in the passing game.

I guess my question is this. Assume we keep Ingram, Spiller, Lasco, Murphy, and Kuhn. Would a guy like Cadet be more valuable than Coleman? He knows the playbook, can be a rb/wr hybrid, and can also play ST.

We have so many receiving options that I don't think we have to roll with 5 this year and Coleman has been solid but not spectacular. We can get that out of Josh Hill. I think Thomas could easily take over the routes that Coleman had and handle the extra snaps.

Looking at cutting down to 53, I just don't see that Coleman has done enough to really stand out with a unique skill set and we could definitely use that spot for another player. No Coleman hate, he's been solid enough for the 5th spot but I wouldn't be surprised if we go with 4 to carry an extra guy in another position. We've never lacked in passing options for this offense!

I think Cadet is a better player and a more valuable player than Coleman. However, I also think we could cut Cadet and then go back and get him whenever we want.

I also think that we could cut Lasco and have about a 99% chance of getting him back on the practice squad.

I can't see us only keeping by 4. Coleman may not always "use his body," but he knows the offense and can get open.

Cooks, Thomas, Snead, Coleman, Lewis

I can't see us only keeping by 4. Coleman may not always "use his body," but he knows the offense and can get open.

Cooks, Thomas, Snead, Coleman, Lewis

but so can Fleener, Hill, Spiller, Cadet, Ingram, Kuhn....

Last year we went with four: Colston, Cooks, Coleman, Snead. I feel MUCH better about a combination of Cooks, Thomas, Snead, and Lewis than last years four and our other passing options are much improved as well.

Depth. DEPTH. D! E! P! T! H!

You can't expect to roll out 4 WR sets in your personnel groupings and 'hope no one gets nicked up during the game'. Even if you don't use that grouping more than 10% of the game, to not have that option in a scheme so predicated on creating mismatches would be professional misconduct.

And please don't say 'It's OK, you just put a TE or RB out at WR'. You don't. Because they can't play the position in the same way and create the same problems for a defence.

Would you be happy doing into a game with just 5 OL? No, of course not, because the effect of losing one would be disastrous.

And this thread wouldn't exist if people weren't so intent on creating scenarios to get rid of Coleman because he is 'guilty' of being exactly no more than we need him to be, a depth role player.

As much as we struggled in red zone last, we need all the tall guys we can get. Therefore I see coleman making it.
Keeping 4 or 5 is a trick question. SP would have 10 wr if not for other needs of the team.

Cooks, Snead, Thomas, Lewis.

Beyond those 4 guys (and realistically Lewis making the top 4 is more indicative of how bad the rest of the group is), we could roll into the season with those 4 WRs and if anyone gets hurt, we could pick up a WR off of the street and they would be just as good or better than Coleman or anyone else not in the top 4.

As much as we struggled in red zone last, we need all the tall guys we can get. Therefore I see coleman making it.
Keeping 4 or 5 is a trick question. SP would have 10 wr if not for other needs of the team.

I'd rather have an oompa-loompa that can catch than a big tall dude with hands of stone. Coleman is the latter

A few years back cadet made the remarks as a WR. (2012 I think). So keeping him gives us more options.

I think it's 5, I think Coleman and Lewis both make it. Coleman seems to be able to get open, hopefully he learns to catch and fight for the ball.

Also, I wonder if Williams-Lambert sneaks onto the roster somehow - I know it's unlikely, but he's shown some skill, albeit against 3rd stringers.

but so can Fleener, Hill, Spiller, Cadet, Ingram, Kuhn....

Last year we went with four: Colston, Cooks, Coleman, Snead. I feel MUCH better about a combination of Cooks, Thomas, Snead, and Lewis than last years four and our other passing options are much improved as well.

Last year we went with 4 for 1 week and had 5 the rest of the way out. You are only 1 injury away from only having 3 WR's at which time you are picking up some guy off the street or a PS player who isn't ready.

From my understanding the only reason we started with 4 is that the team waited to bring back Joe
Morgan so as to not have to guarantee his entire season salary

I'd rather have an oompa-loompa that can catch than a big tall dude with hands of stone. Coleman is the latter

His hands suck now, but if they can be fixed....we have a starting caliber NFL receiver for the price tag of an UDFA. I think it's best to keep him around as #5 on the depth chart, inactive for game days until he shows real progress - but his size and athleticism combo can't be taught.

Patience might pay off with him.........that being said, who knows, maybe he's cut in a few hours.

If you watched the last 2 preseason games it was the opposite he made a really tough catch Thursday night while taking a big hit in the back. Payton called him and Murphy out and they both seemed to really respond.

As long as they are in a Saints uniform we should pull for them to get better instead of an asinine comment like yours.

Coleman doesn't deserve a roster spot but he will probably get the Adrian Arrington treatment

Except that this board loved Arrington and made constant excuses for him. The team rightly consigned him to the practice squad for most of his time here. He went on to post career totals of 9 catches for 110yds.

So other than being pretty different in all respects, totally the same treatment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom