40 days of Sacrifice - The Official Lent Thread (1 Viewer)

whats the "purpose" of ash wednesday? like whats the meaning behind it i guess i should say?

The act echoes the ancient Near Eastern tradition of throwing ash over one's head to signify repentance before God (as related in the Bible). The priest or minister says one of the following when applying the ashes:

Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return.—Genesis 3:19

whatcha giving up for Lent?

I dont really do much things to have to give up so I usually try to pray more like praying a rosary and the Liturgy of the Hours each day.

For those who dont understand why we feel the need for such a practice, if we condition our bodies which is temporary why wouldnt there be a need for conditioning and sacrifice for our soul which is eternal? Mark 14:38 "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." By gaining more discipline over this weakness of the many wants of the flesh we are better able to master the causes of sin in the flesh and are able to turn inward and better our relationship with God (the world, flesh and the devil being causes for temptation). What better time for sacrifice than in the season commemerating the ultimate sacrifice of Christ? If He did it in such a way then there must be something powerful about the concept of sacrificing? COL 1:24, "Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church'. If Paul's suffering was filling up then 2,000 years ago then it must also fill today. As creatures of enjoyment, a concept of self denial will certainly be scoffed at, but it definitely has its place since the beginning of christianity, but how much more in this world today with all the luxuries avaliable to give the allurement of not needing God? In comparison, that which is faith will easily be pushed aside for a time when many wont endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires 2 Timothy 4:3.

Try Eastern Orthodox Lent if you want serious Lent. I don't really practice anymore, but Orthodox Lent consists of no meat, no dairy, no eggs, no fish, no wine, no olive oil for the entire 42-days, plus 7 days of Holy Week, 49 days overall. None of this sissy no meat on Fridays, no eating Big Macs for 40 days stuff.

:surprise-bleu-1:

And I thought the Schism was primarily due to the filioque (sp?) clause in the creed and the controversy over allowing Priests to marry....but now I see there may have been another reason.

:surprise-bleu-1:

And I thought the Schism was primarily due to the filioque (sp?) clause in the creed and the controversy over allowing Priests to marry....but now I see there may have been another reason.

Nah, I think the Eastern rite Catholics also follow the Orthodox rules on Lent. Basically, the goal seems to be to get people to eat bread, fruit, and veggies and drink water the whole time.

I'm giving up glitter and hola hoops.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom