40 Times and Combine Results are overated..here's why (1 Viewer)

SammyDaLoon

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of us, myself included, get caught up in the game of who is faster than who conversations. We all forget some simple facts about the game of football. Football is unlike any other sport in the fact that men are constantly asked to physically overpower, aggress, and repeatedly take down the other person during the course of a 3 hour game. Football is a war of attrition and a battle of one man’s will versus another’s. A football player has to be able to continually rise to the occasion in the face of adversity. Some men react differently when tested by aches, pains, intimidation, and the constant physical beating that comes from the sport of football. At the end of the day some men cower and some men conquer. The game of NFL Football puts men in the toughest of these situations that expose and set apart the hidden traits that often decide whether one player stands out amongst so many equally physically gifted athletes. What are the most important qualities in a football player? It is not simply physical gifts. The most important character traits are football intelligence, instincts, heart, determination, and the will to succeed. Essentially there must be a proper marriage between physical talent and hidden talent. The players that possess the right blend of these gifts often make up the “it” factor, or the intangibles that so many people reference during draft time. The tough part is that these qualities often times are only clear when watching the competitors during the context of an actual football game, and then comparing them from game to game, season to season, etc… The proven football men such as Bill Polian, Bill Parcels, and Ron Wolf (former GM of the Packers) know how to decipher the erroneous 40 times from the real football talent.

So I want to remind everyone on this board not to get caught up in the numbers game of 40 times, bench presses, and shuttle runs. These times only serve as a confirmation of on field performance. There will still be those players that are picked in rounds 2 through 7 that are in fact better football players at the end of the day than the round 1 eye popping number track guys. It’s just the way it works out every year. Hopefully the Saints can figure out who can best handle the JOB of being an NFL Football Player.

Thanks for your time,
Samdogg

Last edited:
Yes, we would all rather football players than track stars, but alot of times, when someone asks the question: Who's stronger? Dorsey Of Ellis? Bam, you check out the bench press. This doesnt mean one is better once the ball is snapped, shedding blocks, bending knees, and being in the right place, but it helps to see that One guy is faster than another and that one guy can jump higher than another. IMO workouts are about 40%of what you're going to get with a prospect. How they take to coaching, adjust their technique, and play on Sundays is the other 60%.

How fast a guy runs the 40 has very little to do with how fast he gets upfield in 4th quarter of week 15. I still think it's more about physical toughness and determination. Of course if you don't have adequate talent all the heart in the world won't do you any good.

Good stuff fellas. Don't forget that these guys also have "camps" like Tom Shaw's and some other venues that they train FOR THE COMBINE. These camps teach the players how to maximize their abilities in EVERY event.

Guys shave tenths of seconds off their normal time... guys go thru the drill repetitiously so that when the combine rolls around the event seems "2nd nature" to them.

I think Jim haslett took those combine numbers to heart when he made some of his personnel decisions... the "big and fast" guys were all he looked for... not the "football players".

I think we have competent people in the FO now.

Production to be the main reason for a players draft position...measurables are a plus...at a certain points being faster shouldnt be the deciding factor.

Yes on field production still should be the No. 1 determinant when selecting a draft pick, but the combine does provide measurables about a certain player's physical attributes.

That’s all the combine is, a measurement of a player's physical abilities....

When judging talent it is important to note the 40 times of players and their vertical jump because that provides insight into the raw athletic talent of that individual.

Think about how many players that play in the NFL, like Randal Gay, who didn't start for their collegian teams. The combine provides those players a chance and that is why it’s important.

Good stuff fellas. Don't forget that these guys also have "camps" like Tom Shaw's and some other venues that they train FOR THE COMBINE. These camps teach the players how to maximize their abilities in EVERY event.

Guys shave tenths of seconds off their normal time... guys go thru the drill repetitiously so that when the combine rolls around the event seems "2nd nature" to them.

I think Jim haslett took those combine numbers to heart when he made some of his personnel decisions... the "big and fast" guys were all he looked for... not the "football players".

I think we have competent people in the FO now.

There is only 1 drug test between the end of the season and the draft for prospects, at the combine. There are no drug tests between the combine and the draft. There was an excellent article posted on hashmarks discussing how prevelant illegal use is with a lack of testing and the millions of dollars involved for prospective prospects. It makes you think when draft prospects blow away their combine results at their pro day. Risks are practically zero with no drug testing after the combine

There is only 1 drug test between the end of the season and the draft for prospects, at the combine. There are no drug tests between the combine and the draft. There was an excellent article posted on hashmarks discussing how prevelant illegal use is with a lack of testing and the millions of dollars involved for prospective prospects. It makes you think when draft prospects blow away their combine results at their pro day. Risks are practically zero with no drug testing after the combine

yeah....Like Colt Brennan putting on like 20 pounds since the Combine

To quote a great sports movie, The Program, "Are you telling me that he put on 35 pounds and an attitude to go with it?"

Lehr........

Agreed.

I've seen football teams win games mostly because they are willing to endure more pain then their opponents.

You can't put the cart before the horse. You have to find an obviously good, tough football player. If his measurables aren't a handicap, you take him. You don't look for a player with good measurables and try to decide if he is a good football player.

That said, rookie football players are very young, and moldable. Many players perceived as "combine freaks" can become truly great football players.

Honestly, I just check the combine results to see how fast, quick, and strong players will be as rookies on Madden...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom